PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Expert Class (PEACH)

Stan
2017-03-03, 02:19 PM
Expert Class (https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ih2RE5SziY9Yyk6NMGDzipn3zYBuIjvXhDp8KRR6K bE)

This started years ago as a PC version of the expert NPC class for 3.0, later modified for PF. ~1 year ago, I updated it to 5e and posted it here. I've tweaked it to make the archetypes more even.

The idea is to make a character who is good with skills and who has a few non-combat feats. They're ok in combat but that's not really their thing so they're more likely to shine in a game that has as much roleplaying and investigation as combat. There are 5 archetypes that take it in fairly different directions, including magic that is less zap zap but with a wider spell selection. I'm also screwing with 2 feat-based magic subsystems - The expert's free non-combat feats would be a way to concentrate on those forms of magic without creating a whole new class.

I'm sorry the layout is so basic - that's outside my skill set.

Lonely Tylenol
2017-03-05, 09:52 AM
The layout is fine. :smallsmile:

The class is significantly underpowered, though. Skill Improvement is particularly lackluster; each time you take it, you improve one skill one stage, from Non-Proficiency -> Proficiency -> Expertise -> Superiority. Compare and contrast with the Expertise feature of the Bard and Rogue, where you get two Expertise each time you get it (and you get it twice, taking up two levels' worth of class features to get four Expertise, rather than four); or the Bonus Proficiencies feature of the Bard, where you get three skill proficiencies as one of its two archetype features; or the 6th level Tiger Totem ability of the Totem Barbarian, where you get two skill proficiencies on an intended ribbon level; or Blessings of Knowledge, which gives you proficiency and expertise in two Intelligence-based skills; or the Beguiling Influence invocation, which is meant to be smaller, power budget-wise, than a traditional class feature, but gives two skill proficiencies in stat-relevant skills. All of these offer you more proficiencies and/or more expertise each time they show up. Skill Improvement takes up four levels' worth of abilities, and no time does it show up where it's worth a whole level's worth of class features. This feature needs to give at least two proficiency or equivalents every time you get it, and if that is too much to be given up four times, it needs to take up fewer levels' worth of class features (but still offer the same net benefit that it is now).

There is also too much overlap between some of the class features of the archetypes: Transcendent and Hedge Wizard both have similar spellcasting options (which they're both built around), and Artisan and Hedge Wizard both make magic items using similar systems. They don't really feel unique, and the fact that they're all there in spite of that makes the options feel cluttered. It would be cool if there were three archetypes that more closely personified the traditional array of 3.5 NPC classes. Your current Diplomat could make a good Aristocrat; with a little shuffling around of class features, you could combine Hedge Wizard and Transcendent's themes to make an Adept; and the one that's completely lacking here is the Warrior, or anything resembling baseline combat effectiveness. (Not necessarily a bad thing, but still.)

Any chance you could return rate my Expanded Inspiration Uses (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?517317-WIP-PEACH-Expanded-Inspiration-Uses&p=21773062)? :smallsmile:

Stan
2017-03-05, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the feedback. The main class is a bit weak intentionally as the archetypes add a bit more than most archetypes do. I was a bit worried that skill improvement was too good to allow two increases due to skill superiority, which is better than the increase with expertise. However, I think you're right that it's a bit weak as is, so I'll probably bump it to two as it still take a while to get many skills to the level of superiority. Still, the class was never intended to match others in combat; free feats add some flexibility in features for games that are not combat heavy.

I'm thinking about allowing the artisan to make one use items at a stage earlier than permanent items. So, they'd get to make uncommon potions at 3rd, and rare at 7th. I'm mainly motivated by considering whether an artisan with an alchemy kit selected would be viable - it would still be limited by money. I'd also port over most of the alchemical items from Pathfinder to give alchemy more use.

Lonely Tylenol
2017-03-06, 04:06 AM
Thanks for the feedback. The main class is a bit weak intentionally as the archetypes add a bit more than most archetypes do. I was a bit worried that skill improvement was too good to allow two increases due to skill superiority, which is better than the increase with expertise. However, I think you're right that it's a bit weak as is, so I'll probably bump it to two as it still take a while to get many skills to the level of superiority.

Anytime, mate. :smallsmile:

Yeah, it's not necessarily about the feature being too weak; there are weak features in every class, that essentially serve as ribbons. The Rogue's Thieves' Cant is an example of this; it's a flavorful feature that serves some use in niche situations, as knowing thieves' cant might make you better able to communicate with people from those walks of life, and it has some niche uses, like knowing where safe houses are, and the like. Ribbons are great for providing benefits that aren't power options for classes. The problem was more that it's a feature that takes up four levels' worth of features, and is essentially four levels' worth of the same ribbon. You could give that feature twice, double up on what it gives you each time, and spend those extra two levels giving something fun and flavorful, like the ability to always know your way around the city streets, or the ability to take 1 minute to inspect an item and recognize its craftsmanship, and who created it. It makes the levels you get Skill Improvement less dead, while giving the extra levels you'd tied to it more colorful ribbons. (Or, you give Skill Improvement four times with two possible skill boosts each, the class becomes a premier non-combatant skill monkey, and that just becomes its niche.)

I'm thinking about allowing the artisan to make one use items at a stage earlier than permanent items. So, they'd get to make uncommon potions at 3rd, and rare at 7th. I'm mainly motivated by considering whether an artisan with an alchemy kit selected would be viable - it would still be limited by money. I'd also port over most of the alchemical items from Pathfinder to give alchemy more use.

All good ideas, but I think it'd also be useful to just strip the magic item creation from the Hedge Wizard completely, and replace it with something more unique to the Hedge Wizard. Let item creation be the Artisan's niche. If I can get item creation from the Artisan, and slightly worse item creation from the Hedge Wizard, but the Hedge Wizard also gives me spellcasting, I'll just go Hedge Wizard every time.

JohnFJoestar
2018-05-30, 12:17 AM
Hey, I really like the idea of this class! Currently all my characters are made for my current campaigns, but I have this class saved for future reference for sure!