PDA

View Full Version : Monk Monastic Traditions

Rynjin
2017-03-03, 03:20 PM
So, I'm making a Monk as a backup character for when/if my Rogue dies or I get REALLY bored just poking things really hard (the GM gave me a heads up as well that we'll be meeting a monastery at some point around level 10 or so, so that's the level I'm starting at essentially).

Of the core archetypes, only Open Hand seems very good. However, he recently lent me his copy of the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, which has Long Death and Sun Soul in it.

I guess my question is twofold:

1.) What's everyone's opinions on those two archetypes and how they compare to Open Hand? I played a Sun Soul in Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition but that's the extent of my experience with either.

At a glance, Sun Soul seems to be a pretty neat melee/ranged hybrid (I managed to catch that the way this system works it seems I can throw rays multiple times per Attack action?) and Long Death makes a good "You will never kill me, just give up" character but I'm very new to this system and not sure whether either is worthwhile.

2.) Are there any other Monastic Traditions in other books you'd recommend I pick up and take a gander at? I'm actually not sure the extent of released 5e supplementary content. I get the impression it's fairly sparse, but never hurts to ask.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

ad_hoc
2017-03-03, 03:39 PM
I would rank the traditions this way:

1. Shadow
2. Open Hand
3. Long Death
4. Sun Soul
...4 Elements

If starting at level 10 then maybe Long Death is best as they have the best level 11 ability. Sun Soul and 4 Elements do get better at that higher level, but nothing will save 4 Elements.

Fishyninja
2017-03-03, 03:45 PM
I'm currently playing a WOTLD monk.

Having that temp hp boost per kill is extremely helpful. It has saved my mobile butt in more than one case.
Also at level 6 frightening everything (potenitally {including party members so be careful}) is handy.
It makes Monks a little more tanky.

Rynjin
2017-03-03, 03:47 PM
@Ad_Hoc: Why rank Shadow so high?

Or, minor amendment, is Shadow still ranked that high if I'm not planning to multiclass Rogue and/or play a Rogue-y assassin playstyle (which I don't, since this is replacing a Rogue)?

I'm currently playing a WOTLD monk.

Having that temp hp boost per kill is extremely helpful. It has saved my mobile butt in more than one case.
Also at level 6 frightening everything (potenitally {including party members so be careful}) is handy.
It makes Monks a little more tanky.

It does seem pretty rad. Although that's a good point on affecting allies...we usually stay pretty close to each other. The Dwarf Battlemaster usually rides the Druid and he has Sentinel so we stick close a lot.

ad_hoc
2017-03-03, 03:51 PM
Why Shadow?

Or, minor amendment, why Shadow if I'm not planning to multiclass Rogue and/or play a Rogue-y assassin playstyle (which I don't, since this is replacing a Rogue)?

I mean, do what you want. That was just a general ranking of their power. That said, if you want to get away from Rogue I wouldn't play a Monk, they both fill similar roles Shadow or not.

I don't think any are a mistake except for 4 Elements. Sun Soul might also be a mistake depending on how awesome you think they sound.

Also, you shouldn't multiclass Rogue with Monk anyway. Monk needs Ki.

Rynjin
2017-03-03, 03:57 PM
Tried to amend that to sound less "attack-y" but apparently didn't get it in time. =)

I was more asking "Does it require a certain playstyle to be good" or is it versatile enough it can be used as a more general purpose character?

And it SORT OF has the same role as Rogue, but it seems to have more options. Even as an Arcane Trickster my standard turn is "Stab it for OMGWTF damage and then Disengage). While occasionally casting Hideous Laughter or something.

I actually changed to Swashbuckler just so I'd at least be better at the only thing I was really able to do well. With all of the Monk archetypes I'm at least able to attack AND impart some status effect for example (with Open Hand) or throw out a bit of AoE when needed (Sun Soul and 4 Elements...though those Ki costs, man).

Really that's what I'm looking for. A character with a variety of combat options because it gets boring doing the same every turn. Besides a full caster, I figured Monk was a good choice for that.

Desamir
2017-03-03, 04:01 PM
@Ad_Hoc: Why rank Shadow so high?

Or, minor amendment, is Shadow still ranked that high if I'm not planning to multiclass Rogue and/or play a Rogue-y assassin playstyle (which I don't, since this is replacing a Rogue)?

Shadow vs. Open Hand is a matter of personal preference. If you don't want to play an stealthy-type character, Shadow loses some appeal.

Open Hand has more stuff to do in combat, but Shadow has much more utility. I prefer Shadow because every Shadow feature is solid and fun, while Open Hand has a couple great features and a couple mediocre/bad ones.

Shadow Arts (3rd level): Minor Illusion is one of the best cantrips in the game. You get four 2nd level spells for the (relatively) piddly cost of 2 ki points per cast.

Pass Without Trace makes even the loudest parties into stealth masters.
Silence shuts down spellcasters.
Darkvision lasts for 8 hours and ki points recharge on a short rest. This means your party will always have darkvision, effectively for free.
Darkness is situationally useful.

Shadow Step: Bonus action 60ft teleport, in dim light, at will? Nobody else gets this kind of mobility at 6th level. It even gives you advantage on your first attack so you don't lose much damage if you use it in combat.

Cloak of Shadows: At-will invisibility in dim light. Seems useful.

Opportunist: Free attacks are free attacks, though I don't expect this to trigger much if you're weaving in and out of the fray.

Really that's what I'm looking for. A character with a variety of combat options because it gets boring doing the same every turn. Besides a full caster, I figured Monk was a good choice for that.

A Monk's main role is to shut down dangerous targets with stuns, so regardless which subclass you choose you'll be good at that.

ad_hoc
2017-03-03, 04:01 PM
Tried to amend that to sound less "attack-y" but apparently didn't get it in time. =)

I was more asking "Does it require a certain playstyle to be good" or is it versatile enough it can be used as a more general purpose character?

And it SORT OF has the same role as Rogue, but it seems to have more options. Even as an Arcane Trickster my standard turn is "Stab it for OMGWTF damage and then Disengage). While occasionally casting Hideous Laughter or something.

I actually changed to Swashbuckler just so I'd at least be better at the only thing I was really able to do well. With all of the Monk archetypes I'm at least able to attack AND impart some status effect for example (with Open Hand) or throw out a bit of AoE when needed (Sun Soul and 4 Elements...though those Ki costs, man).

No worries.

If your goal is to be as least like a Rogue as you can while still being a Monk then I would suggest either Long Death or Sun Soul.

Sun Soul is essentially a fixed version of 4 Elements. Both Long Death and Sun Soul are good against mooks.

If your goal is to get a bunch of options on your character sheet then you should play a full caster that is not a Warlock. Wizard is probably the best bet there.

Fishyninja
2017-03-03, 04:06 PM
It does seem pretty rad. Although that's a good point on affecting allies...we usually stay pretty close to each other. The Dwarf Battlemaster usually rides the Druid and he has Sentinel so we stick close a lot.
2 things to note.
It is a Wis save so some hig stats in the party may not be a problem. Or do what I do, if you are first in initiative or know battle is imminent and you have the space. Run ahead your full movement speed, (going on the basis of level 6 and 30ft base speed, thats 45ft) then conduct the action to terrify. That should keep your friends out of it, then get the spell casters and ranged characters to pummel them while the melee guys close the distance.

Advantage of enemies being frightened is they cannot wilfully move closer to you, so use Step of the wind to disengage, move to the rear of the enemies and then herd them towards your party!