PDA

View Full Version : Enlarge person, permanency, reincarnation oh my.

bigamish
2017-03-03, 03:29 PM
I started the campaign as a human Duskblade focused on tripping with a living chain. After our wizard and sorcerer gained enough levels, I had them cast enlarge person then permanency for the STR bonus to help trip. Well two fire giants later and I ended up dieing. One of the NPC had a wand of reincarnation and used it on me and turned me into a Kobold. Not ideal for tripping with the -4 STR racial. Does the kobold keep the enlarge person permanency spell that was originally on the character?

Venger
2017-03-03, 03:37 PM
No. Reincarnate brings you back in a different body. The effect was targeted on your old one. This is part of the reason reincarnate is cheaper and worse than raise dead.

That said, as far as actual game balance goes, you might talk to your gm and see if there's some kind of quest you can do to transfer the spell over while you're figuring out how to get a medium body to live in back.

Crake
2017-03-03, 04:09 PM
No. Reincarnate brings you back in a different body. The effect was targeted on your old one. This is part of the reason reincarnate is cheaper and worse than raise dead.

That said, as far as actual game balance goes, you might talk to your gm and see if there's some kind of quest you can do to transfer the spell over while you're figuring out how to get a medium body to live in back.

the quest will honestly most likely be more work than just casting another permanency.

Venger
2017-03-04, 01:13 AM
the quest will honestly most likely be more work than just casting another permanency.

eh, if your caster doesn't mind the xp hit, you're probably right. I don't know how plentiful it is in his game.

Gruftzwerg
2017-03-04, 02:32 AM
One of the NPC had a wand of reincarnation and used it on me and turned me into a Kobold. Not ideal for tripping with the -4 STR racial.

Ask your DM if you may take the Earth Kobold (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/elementalRacialVariants.htm#earthKobolds)variant: -2 Str, -2 Con and +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped (earth subtype)

"For all effects related to race, a kobold is considered a dragon."

This gives you the option to get affected by a Dragon Psychosis.

Dragon Magazine #313

Ravening:
+4 Str, -4 Wis
Eat or Die (Su): you need to eat as much as your own body mass a day or fell weakened.
Most of the stuff is related to breath weapons which you can ignore. Just get affected for the Ability score adjustment and start to eat your way out ;)

final adjustments: +2 Str, -2 Con, -4 Wis

Still an suboptimal situation, but should at least compensate a bit of your problem.

At last, have a look on the Kobold web enhancement (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a). While Slight Build might not be that what you are looking for your build, you should at least know about it, if you should come into a situation where it might be useful.

Troacctid
2017-03-04, 12:33 PM
You can also take the Kobold Endurance feat to cancel out the size penalty, and get a casting of Ray of Resurgence to delete the Strength penalty forever.

Gruftzwerg
2017-03-04, 09:37 PM
ow, how could i forgot..^^

Draconic Rite of Passage: 1 week diet + 1 day meditation + dc 10 concentration + gem worth of 100g = gain a 1st lvl sorcerer spell as SLA to use 1/day.

a few suggestions which spell to choose:
- Enlarge Person: (if you shouldn't intend to go permanent again)
- Bigby's Tripping Hand: now you can ranged trip 1/day
- Fist of Stone: +6Str for 1min.
- Nerveskitter: +5 Initiative for this encounter (swift action spell!)