PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next "Crab people, crab people..." err, I mean Mirelurk stats

Arkhios
2017-03-03, 03:34 PM
I'm sure many of you know the hideous humanoid mutant crab-like creatures from the Fallout series. My better half made me watch the South Park episode with the Crab People song, and I had an instant association with Mirelurks (I know, I know, I had a huge hole in my "Common Knowledge").

It had me thinking though... what if I made stats for the thing so I could "pay back" someday when they end up face to face with a group of "crab people". :smallbiggrin:

I'm just not sure how should I progress with this idea. Maybe make an amalgamation of some humanoid creature and crab stats?

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/fallout/images/a/a1/Mirelurk_hunter.png/revision/latest?cb=20101103215151

Shadow_in_the_Mist
2017-03-03, 06:51 PM
First up, you need to figure out just what do you want to do - a humanoid crab, ala the Fallout 3 Mirelurk and AD&D's Crabmen? Or something closer to the Fallout 4 Mirelurks, which are more bestial in appearance?

Although hopefully another user here has a better grasp of the rules to help you with, for the Crabman style, I'd personally start from a basis of:

Medium Size
Monstrosity type
High Armor Class
Claw Smack Attack - Decent but not especially high damage bludgeoning attack
Pincer Attack - Less accurate than the Claw Smack, but a much higher amount of Slashing damage and perhaps can chain into a Grapple check; if you want to really make these guys nasty, consider adopting the decapitation rules from the Vorpal Sword
Rending Pincers - Can inflict constant Slashing damage on a grappled victim, representing the pincers pulling & cutting whatever they've seized

But I've never really studied the monster-making rules for 5e, so I can't say how helpful this is.

Arkhios
2017-03-04, 06:30 AM
First up, you need to figure out just what do you want to do - a humanoid crab, ala the Fallout 3 Mirelurk and AD&D's Crabmen? Or something closer to the Fallout 4 Mirelurks, which are more bestial in appearance?

Although hopefully another user here has a better grasp of the rules to help you with, for the Crabman style, I'd personally start from a basis of:

Medium Size
Monstrosity type
High Armor Class
Claw Smack Attack - Decent but not especially high damage bludgeoning attack
Pincer Attack - Less accurate than the Claw Smack, but a much higher amount of Slashing damage and perhaps can chain into a Grapple check; if you want to really make these guys nasty, consider adopting the decapitation rules from the Vorpal Sword
Rending Pincers - Can inflict constant Slashing damage on a grappled victim, representing the pincers pulling & cutting whatever they've seized

But I've never really studied the monster-making rules for 5e, so I can't say how helpful this is.

Any help is welcome, and even if it only means compiling "iconic" abilities, it's still help. :smallsmile:

So, thanks for your thoughts. I suppose I could make two variations of the same creature. The bestial, nigh mindless creature that looks more like the ones in Fallout 4, and the more humanoid-like from Fallout 3, which could be nesting in a tight-knit community, like primitive people might.

Kaskus
2017-03-04, 01:22 PM
I don't personally have much to offer on this but there was a fan-made playable race with a similar concept that can be found at http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Brachyura_(3.5e_Race).

I think they even used the Mirelurk image for them. Im not sure if you are wanting something playable. The example cited above is LA +2 but there is a lot of superfluous stuff that could be cut to bring that down. I think the stat mods are a bit much as well.