PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [3.5] Atmorgon the Aleax Slayer (build challenge)

Thurbane
2017-03-03, 09:49 PM
Just a bit of a pointless thought exercise.

If you were going to optimize a character to defeat an Aleax version of himself, what would it look like? Say we are looking around ECL 9

Here's my first draught:

Dragonborn Mongrelfolk Ranger 9 (high Con score, which the Aleax will not have)
Favored enemy: constructs +4
Feat: Knowledge Devotion (arcana) (bonus to hit and damage vs. Constructs)
Feat: Improved Favored Enemy (takes bonus up to +7)
Gear: +1 Bane (construct) Composite Longbow
Gear: a couple of Arrows of Slaying (construct)
Gear: chain shirt +1 (spell resistance) (to mess with Searing Light; alternatively, het a buddy or item to cast Spell Resistance on you before the fight)

...now I'm sure that build could be better optimized, ot that an entirely different build might be better (maybe a full caster with spell that only damage non-living beings?).

Have at it!

Cheers - T

Vizzerdrix
2017-03-03, 10:26 PM
Well the build should also be abmle to take advantage of the rewards from winning as well.

Thurbane
2017-03-03, 10:27 PM
Well the build should also be abmle to take advantage of the rewards from winning as well.

True: +2 untyped to Wis, +1 insight to Initiative, +2 perfection to AC and SR equal to HD.

OldTrees1
2017-03-03, 10:47 PM
I will optimize for minimal investment for making it an equal or better fight.

Quick Note: Aleaxes share your equipment, so borrowing items useful to you but useless to it will help you.

They have d10 HD and get a flat +20hp instead of Con. However they do gain Fast Healing 5.
If you have a d8 HD, 14 Con, and a loaned belt of Con +4, then at 9HD(8 with +1LA) you would have 71.5-80hp (remember, only PCs get the 1st HD maxed) to their 64-69.5hp. Having a loaned wand of Vigor will grant fast healing 2. So we end up with a 7.5-10.5hp edge while they have a Fast Healing 2 edge.

They have +1 Initiative and benefit from all our items & stats. So we will need an allied caster to cast Nerveskitter on us right as the combat begins for a +5 initiative. That means we have a 70% chance of going first.

They have +2 AC however lending away our primary weapon and loaning a +1 Construct bane(+2 Attack, +2+2d6 damage vs Constructs) with a least Demolition Crystal(+1d6 vs Constructs) will negate the AC bonus and gain a damage bonus.

They also have searing light, but as long as your offense is better than searing light, their offense will also be better and thus searing light will not be used.

Total Costs:
1)Lend away your primary weapon
2)Have a friendly caster with Nerveskitter.
3)Loan the following: Belt of Con +4, Wand of Vigor(or another friendly caster), +1 Construct bane weapon, Least Demolition Crystal.

Vizzerdrix
2017-03-03, 11:47 PM
Hmm... what about loading up on hd (dusk giant trick) with spellfire (isint it capped to your hd, or is that part of the prc?) And just blasting it? The more hd you have, the better the sr youll get.

Edit-or maybe a fiend of possesion? I dont remember if the aleax can technicly qualify for it so it wouldnt be able to use your tricks against you.

Soranar
2017-03-04, 12:07 AM
Oddly enough I think a dragonborn warforged paladin would have a decent chance

-the Aleax doesn't get your mount (if I read the entry correctly)
-you can charge it from atop your mount with a lance and smite construct (+character level in damage x3 due to spirited charge)

so 1d8 + 1.5 STR + Power attack + smite construct =
(4.5) (say 6) 18 (two handed) 9 = 37 x3 (spirited charge + lance) = about 111 damage

9d10 +20 = about 75 hitpoints for the Aleax

+ all of your build relies on a mount that it does not possess

Gruftzwerg
2017-03-04, 12:53 AM
Anyone knows what the alignment of an Aleax is? Cause I can't find anything in the book..

It could be an important point to build a character around it. Cause Imho the Aleax doesn't share your alignment (he doesn't think/feel for 100% like you, cause otherwise, why would you kill yourself?).
Further I think it even does not share it's alignment with his deity.

Since the Aleax is following strictly the deities orders he is truly "lawful". And the fact that his sole meaning of existence is to kill you should make him "evil".

If no one else has some reliable info, we could assume lawful/evil as alignment which could be abused for a build. Any1 got some info about it?

daremetoidareyo
2017-03-04, 01:16 AM
A paladin with the planar touchstone library to get the warforged domain could command the aleax.

Any build built around doing crazy stuff at 0 - -9 hp

A totemist. Aleax has no con score to shape melds with.

ben-zayb
2017-03-04, 02:11 AM
An Aleax is a construct, so any build that relies heavily on CON would be at a great advantage vs its Aleax counterpart. Breath weapon optimizers, Incarnum-users, heck even troll-blooded regenerators all look fine.

But wait, an Aleax actually has CL20 Shapechange, which easily discard what little effect these suboptimal builds have compared to T1-level brokenness.

So, basically, if we ignore the Shapechange ability, those CON-based builds should do good.

OldTrees1
2017-03-04, 03:27 AM
An Aleax is a construct, so any build that relies heavily on CON would be at a great advantage vs its Aleax counterpart. Breath weapon optimizers, Incarnum-users, heck even troll-blooded regenerators all look fine.

But wait, an Aleax actually has CL20 Shapechange, which easily discard what little effect these suboptimal builds have compared to T1-level brokenness.

So, basically, if we ignore the Shapechange ability, those CON-based builds should do good.

The shapechange is limited in the number and kinds of forms, so just pick a deity that happens to only give shapechange forms that are weaker than you. :)