PDA

View Full Version : Larry Niven

Cryopyre
2007-07-24, 06:23 PM
I know his Ringworld series are famous, anyone like any more books by him. Personally I love The Integral Trees the setting is very unique.

Winterwind
2007-07-24, 07:17 PM
His only work I ever read was Ringworld itself, and I liked it pretty much. Therein Niven shows a gift for creating characters who are truly alien, and yet sympathetic, which is a rare thing indeed - so many other sci-fi shows and books depict aliens as, pretty much, humans in strange suits.

Sundog
2007-07-25, 03:48 AM
I love the "Gil the ARM" short stories (collected in the book Flatlander). I think his best work was a collaboration with Jerry Pournelle: the novel The Mote in God's Eye. It has a slightly weaker sequel called either The Moat around Murcheson's Eye or The Gripping Hand.

factotum
2007-07-25, 05:49 AM
I've read a number of his books. "World of Ptaavs" and "A World Out of Time" are particular standouts, in my view. The short story "What Use is a Glass Dagger?", which is actually fantasy rather than SF, is extremely good too.

ravenkith
2007-07-25, 03:17 PM
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes....

"DREAM" FRACKING "PARK".

Find it read it love it, wish you had wrote it yourself.

Then read the sequel.

Indon
2007-07-25, 03:22 PM
I think his best work was a collaboration with Jerry Pournelle: the novel The Mote in God's Eye. It has a slightly weaker sequel called either The Moat around Murcheson's Eye or The Gripping Hand.

I do believe it has two sequels at this point. I don't remember what the other one was called, though.

My favorite is another collaboration with Pournelle, Footfall. Oath of Fealty is a close second, though (<3 Arcologies).