PDA

View Full Version : Persist spell (Complete Aracane) + Evil Glare (Planar handbook)?

D&DPrinceTandem
2017-03-04, 12:14 AM
This is a Brain exercise. just a warning.

So as you can see from the title with this exercise we are using the Persist Spell feat in combination with Evil glare.

Evil Glare
Necromancy [Evil, Fear, Mind- Affecting]
Level: Cleric 4, sorcerer/wizard 4 Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action Range: 30 feet
Target: Living creature
Duration: 1 round/level and 1d8
rounds; see text
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell, inspired by the malevolent gaze of the shadowy nightwalkers, causes your eyes to glow with dark energy. Immediately upon comple- tion of the spell, you may target a living creature within range with your glare; that creature becomes paralyzed with fear for 1d8 rounds. You must be able to see the creature, and it must be able to see you (though it need not meet your gaze).
Once per round after that for the duration of the spell, you can target another creature with your glare as a move action. You can’t target the same creature twice with a single casting of the spell, regardless of the success of its saves

What I see is that both the initial and the actual effect are put to 24 hour duration.
What is the play-grounders Thoughts on this. Is it cheese? Is it the wrong interpretation? Has somebody already done this and i just don't know about it?

Silva Stormrage
2017-03-04, 03:03 AM
This is a Brain exercise. just a warning.

So as you can see from the title with this exercise we are using the Persist Spell feat in combination with Evil glare.

What I see is that both the initial and the actual effect are put to 24 hour duration.
What is the play-grounders Thoughts on this. Is it cheese? Is it the wrong interpretation? Has somebody already done this and i just don't know about it?

It would look like that is the case.

Unfortunately for you it was updated in Spell Compendium and the duration line is simply 1 round/level so the trick doesn't work as the SC version overwrites the planar handbook one.