PDA

View Full Version : Fey'ri

BardicDuelist
2007-07-24, 06:34 PM
I have played a fey'ri before, but not for a long time. When we were about to play a new campaign at a higher level, I decided that I would play my old fey'ri bard, and I came across somthing.

They have alter self at will !? Isn't that a really broken spell? Technically if you use the Monsters of F version and not Races of F they have polymorph at will, but are limited to humaniod shaped creatures.

All for a meager LA +2.

Did I read that correctly, and if so, how are they not on the perverbial list of power gamer's wet dreams?

Arbitrarity
2007-07-24, 08:03 PM
'Cause WOTC doesn't realize how good alter self is, and they don't expect you to cheese it out. Suposedly, it's just an upgrade on disguise self (no will save), but due to the way it's written, you can change into silly things that give you +6 natural armour and so forth.

And because the power-gamer plays a full caster, and +2 LA sucks for full casting. And alter self just isn't as good as spellcasting, which includes alter self.

MrNexx
2007-07-25, 01:51 PM
I would disagree; in most cases, a +2 or +3 LA is bad for full spellcasters. However, Bards aren't really full spellcasters... they're partial casters, and the good abilities they have will make for useful abilities for a bard.

mostlyharmful
2007-07-25, 02:00 PM
not to mention that a fey'ri is an outsider, not a humanoid or monstrous humanoid, which gives alter self even more options of game destabilizing cheese at low levels and remains useful at higher ones.

Iku Rex
2007-07-25, 02:30 PM
The most recent version of Fey'ri are in the Monsters of Faerun 3.5 update in a Player's Guide to Faerun web enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20040313a). They now have change shape (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#changeShape), which doesn't give you the new form's natural armor.

If you want to cheese it out you need to creatively interpret "humanoid" to refer to the overall shape of the body rather than the creature type. :smallwink:

Planetouched, Tiefling, Fey’ri: Outsider (native); +1/+1; 5 ft./5 ft.;
10/magic; Bluff +3, Hide +4, Listen +2, Move Silently +2, Search +3,
Spot +2; Stealthy; LA +2 or +3. Abilities change to Str 13, Dex 13,
Con 10, Int 12, Wis 9, Cha 8. Hit Dice change to 1d8 (4 hp); initiative
changes to +1; attacks change to longsword +2 melee (1d8+1);
saves change to Fort +2, Ref +1, Will –1; elf blood (as half-elves);
replace alternate form with change shape (any humanoid form) in
special qualities (see Monster Manual glossary).
The fey’ri presented here is a 1st-level warrior. It had the following
ability scores before racial adjustments: Str 13, Dex 11, Con 12,
Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 8.
A fey’ri can only have one of the following three abilities: damage
reduction, dimension door, or enervation. A fey’ri with any of those
abilities has a level adjustment of +3.
If WotC didn't realize how good alter self is in older supplements that may be because alter self wasn't nearly as good in 3.0 .

(Not that I'm convinced that 3.5 alter self at will to a humanoid form would necessarily be unbalanced for a +2 LA creature.)