PDA

View Full Version : Warlock Wizard multiclass merging idea

sightlessrealit
2017-03-04, 10:16 AM
So the "Merging" of sorts starts the level after you get the "Pact of the Tome" Boon.

These are the following features you receive.

* Both your Warlock & Wizard Spells now are in your Pact Tome. You cannot cast those spells without it.
* You do not receive the Arcane Recovery Wizard Feature.
* Your Warlock & Wizard Spell Slots are still separate.
* Invocations are now tied to your Spellcasting Level (strictly for Warlock & Wizard) rather then your Warlock Level.
* You cannot swap out invocations.
* You get all Tome Invocations you qualify for and they do not count towards your Invocations known.

An RP idea you could go with is instead of your Patron bestowing strictly power to you, instead they bestow you knowledge. And once you die (for good in your game) that knowledge will be destroyed as it all resides in your Pact Tome.

StorytellerHero
2017-03-04, 02:39 PM
I made a book of feats on DMsGuild for mashups similar to this.

One of the feats in the book grants the ability to conduct a ritual that summons a fiend (without or with minimal risk of betrayal) to follow a specific order for a temporary period of time. You have to be a Conjuration wizard/Fiend pact warlock for its prerequisites.

Millstone85
2017-03-04, 02:54 PM
Both your Warlock & Wizard Spells now are in your Pact Tome.I think it's already possible to make the Book of Shadows double as a wizard's spellbook, since pretty much any piece of paper would do. The question is what happens when you perform the ritual to get a replacement.

Unless what you mean is that it would contain even the spells a warlock would normally "know". Do they have to be prepared now, and if yes how?

Invocations are now tied to your Spellcasting Level (strictly for Warlock & Wizard) rather then your Warlock Level.The warlock doesn't have a value for the calculation of your spellcaster level.

An RP idea you could go with is instead of your Patron bestowing strictly power to you, instead they bestow you knowledge. And once you die (for good in your game) that knowledge will be destroyed as it all resides in your Pact Tome.What if another wizard makes copies of your spells?

You cannot cast those spells without it.
You do not receive the Arcane Recovery Wizard Feature.
You cannot swap out invocations.
You get all Tome Invocations you qualify for and they do not count towards your Invocations known.That might be a lot of nerf for just one free invocation.

sightlessrealit
2017-03-04, 06:52 PM
I think it's already possible to make the Book of Shadows double as a wizard's spellbook, since pretty much any piece of paper would do. The question is what happens when you perform the ritual to get a replacement.

Unless what you mean is that it would contain even the spells a warlock would normally "know". Do they have to be prepared now, and if yes how?

The warlock doesn't have a value for the calculation of your spellcaster level.

What if another wizard makes copies of your spells?

That might be a lot of nerf for just one free invocation.

Contains the spells a Warlock would normally know. They do not have to be prepared. They just need the book on hand now. As for the Ritual as before, it has all the spells that have been put into it up to the point it was destroyed. Unless you'v leveled up in that time. In which case it will have the new spells that you would gain. if you gain new spells by finding new spell books then those spells will also stay in the book even if it's destroyed and brought back.

Well in this case they do. Basically, just imagine strictly for the Invocations they learn a new Invocation at a level when they normally would.

So say you did rouge first level then warlock 3 levels. They then do 2 levels of Wizards. A Warlock gets a additionally Invocation at 5th level. So in this case lv3 Warlock + lv2 Wizard = 5 so they get that new Invocation.

If another Wizard trys to copy the book while it exists it will appear completely blank. The user also cannot teach what is written in it to anyone else.

-Shrugs- It could be 2 free if you go Raven Queen.

Millstone85
2017-03-05, 08:47 AM
Well, I like the idea of a character starting out as a warlock and then gaining levels in another class as part of the pact they made. In this case, "I want to be a weezzerd".

But if the knowledge imparted on the warlock is completely impossible to share, it means they ultimately function like any other warlock. "Can you explain what in the Nine Hells you are doing?", "Well, it has something to do with the Nine Hells alright, and also the... er... whatchamacallit smurfing the thingamajig".

Unless, of course, that's exactly what you are going for.

sightlessrealit
2017-03-05, 04:46 PM
Well, I like the idea of a character starting out as a warlock and then gaining levels in another class as part of the pact they made. In this case, "I want to be a weezzerd".

But if the knowledge imparted on the warlock is completely impossible to share, it means they ultimately function like any other warlock. "Can you explain what in the Nine Hells you are doing?", "Well, it has something to do with the Nine Hells alright, and also the... er... whatchamacallit smurfing the thingamajig".

Unless, of course, that's exactly what you are going for.

That indeed is the intent I was going for. You could do the same for those with Pact of the Blade(though under these rules it would be pretty over powered) for a Fighter/Barbarian/Rogue & Maybe Ranger. Tome could also be Cleric/Druid/Sorcerer. Chain could be Ranger/Druid.