PDA

View Full Version : "Saint of the Sands" Build?

TheBrassDuke
2017-03-04, 10:20 AM
So I can't remember in which thread I took this screenshot, but it did inspire a really fun character in one of my campaigns a while back. I used a refluffed Unseelie Fey template, though, to make him more Genie-like--it worked out really well. LA-Buyoff helped.

I was just wondering, does anyone have any ideas to make this build better*? As you may know, I'm a long-time reader, commenter, and fan of the Playground, but I'm by no means an optimizer, so I don't really know what more I could add to make this a cooler character idea.

*: Fluffwise, Optimization, etc.?

Any ideas are acceptable, so long as nothing (preferably) changes the race from Human or Elf**; templates are still acceptable, but LA +2 or lower, and no racial Hit Dice. Most sources are allowed, except BoEF..., so Dragon Mag and the like are acceptable.

**: Mostly because they're easier to work from, at least for me. *shrugs*

The Build:

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/CainePorter/IMG_3025_zpsc5hl1fol.png

TheBrassDuke
2017-03-04, 04:05 PM
--reserved for eventual fixes, and the compiled improved build.--

Buddy76
2017-03-04, 06:42 PM
Thematically, Sha'ir seems to fit better than sorcerer but it does require you to jump through a few hoops to get your spells(diplomacy checks, etc).

For +2 LA you can give him/her the saint template and make his/her name literal, but it'll change the type from humanoid to native outsider, IIRC.

What's the character's backstory? Is he/she a champion of good who walks the desert fighting evil, or something like that?

TheBrassDuke
2017-03-04, 08:32 PM
Kletian, Commission for me (Richard Soloyna), done by Maria Jang, aka Soda222 on DeviantArt. I kindly ask that you not use my image for any reason.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/CainePorter/IMG_1077_zpsm6dtuufd.png
(and yes, that's basically a reimagined version of the Geometer's robes, from Complete Arcane)

Basically, what I've been mulling over for a while, is sort of a "reborn" genie. Backstory-wise, the character was a Noble Djinni prince, who had mercantile business on the Prime with his human mother*; while visiting, he met with a mortal by the name of Nawa, by all accounts a cruel and vicious man, although too poor and weak to back up his aggressive nature.

Living in the she-wizard's shadow for far too long, the envious man took advantage of the young genie, and plotted to capture him the way Kletian's mother would bind her enemies. Once Kletian was captured, he was forced to begin feeding the man's every desire, as well as provide him with three wishes.

Nawa first wished for the destruction of the Wizard Majeeda--Kletian's own mother--to which the Genie grudgingly obliged. Next, the mortal demanded that his name be known throughout the lands, that he may be feared and respected by all. And, lastly, the mortal wished to enter into a pact with this Genie, where he may gain the most out of their contract.

Kletian gaped at the man for his brevity. A Djinni was no fool, and would be loathe to part with any of his own gifts, especially to a mortal--and a mortal who ordered the execution of said Djinni's mother!

So Kletian considered his options, and finally granted the man his final wish. In that moment, Kletian dropped to the ground, mortal, his receptacle destroyed**. When he stood, free of his service, he gazed beyond the cloud of smoke that had formed during the wish, to another so like he--no more a mere mortal, but Nawa--the Warlock!

Knowing that he could not kill his (former) Djinn patron, Nawa laughed at Kletian's sudden alteration, and abandoned him there, while the new Sorcerer gathered his bearings.

-----------------

*: while he had a Human mother, he took more dominant traits of the Djinni King Kol (thus the full Genie).

**: transition from Noble Djinni to Lv. 1 Human Sorcerer.

-------------------------------------------

I haven't worked out all the details about what happens in-between there, but I do know the Warlock has gathered a following, and now Kletian, a mortal, must reclaim that power the man took from him, so that he might exact justice on the monster. He will raise an army to face off against this Warlock's own growing cult, and I would like him to grow from his mortal experience, while maintaining an otherworldly, sorcerer-like arrogance that would eventually lead to his self-title "Saint of the Sands", or "God-King"***, by his people.

He maintains a CG alignment throughout his career, however, and doesn't normally kill enemies--he incapacitates them or shrinks them, or blows them far away, just because "no one deserves to die such a terrible death at the hands of a mighty Genie, unless they truly deserve it."

-----------------

***:The campaign is low-to-high magic, depending on the location. He's awe-inspiring at lv. 1, so--it's something they might call him.

------------------------------------

He does fight evil, but mostly to reclaim what he lost (his power), and to exact justice not only for the insult of being captured by a mortal, but also for destroying the one mortal he actually cared for. Not only that, but as a mortal now, himself, he must struggle to survive in the world the Warlock has created for people.

--sorry for such a long and tedious story.

Edit: I believe, because he was forced to destroy his mother, he is disqualified from taking the Saint template.

TheBrassDuke
2017-03-05, 06:51 PM
Would adding Archmage help, or just make it more difficult?