PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder My attempt at an update to the Hengeyokai (PEACH)

inuyasha
2017-03-04, 11:56 AM
Hey guys! I made my first homebrew in a while, and attempted to make my own version of the Hengeyokai from Oriental Adventures using the Race Builder as a rough guide. I've posted it elsewhere as of today, and have decided to post it here for additional review! I know that I break the race builder's rules in a few spots, but I also know that most people here don't pay attention to that as much, knowing that the race-building system is somewhat broken on its own.

Hengeyokai
Humanoid animals with the ability to shift between an even more human form and an animal form, these creatures are the living embodiment of animal life, and are common in eastern cultures

Universal stats: (6 RP)
Humanoids:
All Hengeyokai are humanoids with the Hengeyokai subtype

Spirit Tongue:
All Hengeyokai can use Speak with Animals as a Druid of their level 1/day

Animal Form:
For 1 minute per level each day, a Hengeyokai can transform into a specific small animal, chosen when the character is made, and gaining traits on the chart below.

Lesser Shapechange:
At will, the Hengeyokai can shift between their natural form and a pre-determined small or medium humanoid shape, specific and static in form. Usually these forms are halfings, humans, or gnomes, but elves and half-elves can be chosen as well. Hengeyokai are rarely ever able to take the form of dwarves, half-orcs, or any of the more savage races.

Types of Hengeyokai
Any spell-like-abilities function at a caster level equal to the Hengeyokai's level

Animal Ability Bonuses Abilities *4 points
Viper +2 Dex, +2 Int, -2 Cha Poison Use, Camouflage, Bite dealing 1d3 (if medium), Toxic (pick)
Fox +2 Int, +2 Cha, -2 Str Bluff and Stealth are class skills, invisibility and ventriloquism 1/day
Cat +2 Dex, +2 Cha, -2 Wis +2 Stealth, Nimble Faller
Carp +2 Con, +2 Wis, -2 Cha +1 NA, Swim (20ft)
Crab +2 Str, +2 Con, -2 Cha +2 NA, Slow & Steady, 2 claw attacks dealing 1d4 each (if medium)
Crane +2 Dex, +2 Wis, -2 Con +2 Acrobatics, Vestigial Wings
Dog +2 Str, +2 Cha, -2 Int Scent
Tanuki +2 Con, +2 Cha, -2 Int +2 Disguise, Alter Self 1/day
Rat +2 Dex, +2 Con, -2 Cha +2 Stealth, +2 on saves vs. disease, ingested poison, and being nauseated
Monkey +2 Dex, +2 Int, -2 Cha +2 Climb, +2 Sleight of Hand

Ability descriptions:
Viper:
Camouflage: Viper Hengeyokai pick one type of natural terrain from the Ranger list and get a +4 on Stealth checks in that environment
Toxic: As per the Vishkanya racial trait

Cat:
Nimble Faller: Cat Hengeyokai have +1 cmd vs. tripping attempts and automatically land on their feet when they take falling damage

Crane:
Vestigial wings: These wings cannot provide lift, but add +4 to fly checks*

*Note: I remove the fly skill from my games, and this instead allows +4 on acrobatic checks to jump

EDIT: Oh shoot, I thought I was browsing the homebrew section when I made this. I hope this gets moved over soon!

Psyren
2017-03-04, 06:28 PM
The best way to do shapeshifting is to add language like "This functions as beast shape II except..." or something along those lines. This makes it much easier to adjudicate at a table. (For example, the Kitsune's ability that inherits from Alter Self.)