PDA

View Full Version : Optimization 10th Level Gestalt Totemist/Barbarian

JNAProductions
2017-03-04, 01:15 PM
See title. Patfhinder, but all 3.5 and 3.0 sources are allowed. I want to be a natural attack ubercharger.

How does do?

Totemist 1//Barbarian 1 (Lion Totem), Power Attack, Improved Sunder, One Flaw (not sure which one)
Toetmist 2//Barbarian 2
Totemist 3//Barbarian 3, Reckless Offensive
Totemist 4//Barbarian 4
Totemist 5//Barbarian 5, Leap Attack
Totemist 6//Barbarian 6
Totemist 7//Barbarian 7, Shock Trooper
Totemist 8//Barbarian 8
Totemist 9//Barbarian 9, Double Chakra
Totemist 10//Barbarian 10

Buufreak
2017-03-04, 01:26 PM
Got any more information? Preferred race, level of lactose intolerance at your table, etc?

JNAProductions
2017-03-04, 01:41 PM
No real preference on race.

Cheese can go pretty far.

Although stats are rolled (pretty high rolling, but still rolled) so let me know if exact stat numbers are needed, or if just a general "Constitution 15+" is needed.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-03-04, 02:00 PM
Use the lion spiritual totem ACF in Complete Champion p46 to trade fast movement for pounce.

Trade rage for whirling frenzy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#rageVariantWhirlingFrenzy ) from UA.

JNAProductions
2017-03-04, 02:02 PM
Use the lion spiritual totem ACF in Complete Champion p46 to trade fast movement for pounce.

Trade rage for whirling frenzy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#rageVariantWhirlingFrenzy ) from UA.

I'm not sure on Whirling Frenzy... I already have a LOT of attacks via Girallion Arms.

Then again, extra attacks are always nice...

Buufreak
2017-03-04, 02:17 PM
Do you wish to go all natural weapons, or a mix of natural and manufactured? Its my general experience that a charger build benefits a great deal from 2h weapons and power attack. Sure, natural weapons can get the bonus too, but not nearly as much, considering all the multipliers that 2h can get.

JNAProductions
2017-03-04, 02:21 PM
Let's try to keep it to all natural, all the time. I'll see what kind of damage I get from that and decide if I need to go bigger.

Added somewhat of a build to opening post.

Buufreak
2017-03-04, 02:32 PM
Okay, cool. First, with only naturals, you don't have to worry about iterative attacks. Pounce still works, though, so that advice is solid. Beyond that, Barb is getting you +to hit, HP, and rage (unless there are some PF archtypes that are all about the NAs, I have no idea on that particular subject). Beyond that, you can have tons of focus on the Totemist side, which brings all the versatility and flexibility of your potential build. Have you by chance looked at the Totemist handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?287304-danzibr-s-Totemist-Handbook)? I think Danzibr did an amazing job with it. It gives plenty of info on the ins and outs of getting tons of NAs, plus all kinds of bonuses to them.

JNAProductions
2017-03-04, 02:35 PM
What race would be good for this?

Edit: And one flaw. What's a good flaw?

Buufreak
2017-03-04, 02:52 PM
What race would be good for this?

Edit: And one flaw. What's a good flaw?

Any race that naturally has natural weapons are always good, it simply adds more to the party! Besides that, a high Str race is good for your damage, and a high Con race helps with meldshaping and some feat selection, such as:

Expanded Soulmeld Capacity at 1st, choose Totem Chakra.
Double Chakra at 9th, choose Totem.
Multiattack, Improved Multiattack, and Improved/Superior Unarmed Strike whenever you can fit them in. I say IUS and SUS because if you can get Fist of the Forest and Beast Strike into your build, any claw attacks you make become rather hardy, plus a few other bonuses as well. Also, as far as I have seen, there is nothing preventing a person/creature/whatever from making an unarmed strike AND a claw attack using the same hand/paw/claw, so if you can get that to fly at your table, enjoy having a full attack routine of punches that do US + Claw + other, then claws, then everything else.

JNAProductions
2017-03-04, 03:13 PM
https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1133395

That's what I have so far.

On the charge, I get 7 attacks at around a +18 (+20 on the first) attack bonus, for an average of 212.5 damage if all attacks hit.

That feels good to me.

Red Fel
2017-03-04, 03:27 PM

On the charge, I get 7 attacks at around a +18 (+20 on the first) attack bonus, for an average of 212.5 damage if all attacks hit.

That feels good to me.

Have you considered the possibility of dipping Warblade? Several reasons, but key among them are two things.

First, Punishing Stance is a stance you can take as a Warblade. It is activated as a swift action, and remains as a buff pretty much perpetually, until you lose consciousness. It gives you +1d6 damage on every melee attack, which includes natural attacks, at the cost of -2 AC. That's right, 1d6 (avg 3.5) bonus damage on each hit. With 7 attacks, that's an average of 24.5 bonus damage. And the AC penalty is completely negated by Whirling Frenzy's dodge bonus to AC.

Second, the Stormguard Warrior feat. It has Ironheart Aura as a prereq, but giving +2 morale bonus on all saves to nearby allies (including you) is pretty useful. The Stormguard Warrior feat itself, though, is glorious. It's a three-function tactical feat. The second function, "Combat Rhythm," is the one you want, and it works like this: In one round, you make melee touch attacks in place of normal attacks in combat. These touch attacks deal 0 damage. The next round, for every touch attack that dealt 0 damage, each attack you make deals +5 damage. If that's 7 touch attacks, that's +35 damage on every attack in the next round. That's a total of 245 bonus damage every other round. That kind of damage straight up ends combats.

Lastly: If you're willing to use 3.5 sources, have you considered using a Half-Orc instead of Mongelfolk? Half-Orc Barbarians get a neat little racial substitution that replaces Uncanny Dodge with a neat bonus to charges - +4 to attacks while charging, at the cost of -4 AC. It should stack with Shock Trooper, if you like, or it might even save you the feat, since it basically negates much of the Power Attack penalty.

JNAProductions
2017-03-04, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the info, RF. But I'm already a little feat-starved as it is.

Maybe for later levels, though!

Buufreak
2017-03-04, 03:47 PM

That feels good to me.

Mostly looks good, but do keep in mind only your primary NA gets full strength, all others get half. Given that, I'm not sure how you are getting +8 to most NAs, even if applying full strength. Just found that ammy of nat strength. Coolio.

Yea, it all looks pretty decent. Nothing over the top, but then again you are building a striker, so its not going to melt the entire planet with craziness. Lemme know if you have anymore questions, I'm glad to help!

JNAProductions
2017-03-04, 03:49 PM
Mostly looks good, but do keep in mind only your primary NA gets full strength, all others get half. Given that, I'm not sure how you are getting +8 to most NAs, even if applying full strength. Just found that ammy of nat strength. Coolio.

Yea, it all looks pretty decent. Nothing over the top, but then again you are building a striker, so its not going to melt the entire planet with craziness. Lemme know if you have anymore questions, I'm glad to help!

I accounted for that. +8 damage base on the bite, +6 on the rest (+2 strength, +4 amulet).

Although what else should I buy with WBL?

Buufreak
2017-03-04, 03:50 PM
I accounted for that. +8 damage base on the bite, +6 on the rest (+2 strength, +4 amulet).

Although what else should I buy with WBL?

That's a good question for the handbook I linked. There is a full section on items that boost what you already do, and another on items that give more attacks.