PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Sun Warrior Vanguard: A Ruby Knight Vindicator for a LG Deity

The_Iron_Lord
2017-03-04, 07:31 PM
Hello! This is a class that started as a refluffed Ruby Knight Vindicator, but ended up having a fair amount of unique abilities on its own. Please tell me if it's balanced or not!

The Sun Warrior Vanguard

Prerequisites:
Alignment: Lawful Good
Skills: Diplomacy 4, Intimidate 4, Heal 4, Knowledge (religion) 8
Maneuvers: Must know at least one Devoted Spirit maneuver
Stances: Must know at least one Devoted Spirit stance
Deity: Warlord
Special: Must be able to turn undead

HD: d10

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Manuevers known
Manuevers readied
Stances Known
Class Features
Spellcasting

1st
+1
+2
+0
+2
Blessed Warrior
-

2nd
+2
+3
+0
+3
Divine Recovery
+1 level of divine spellcasting class

3rd
+3
+3
+1
+3
-

4th
+4
+4
+1
+4
-

5th
+5
+4
+1
+4
-

6th
+6
+5
+2
+5
-
-

7th
+7
+5
+2
+5
Divine Impetus

8th
+8
+6
+2
+6
-

9th
+9
+6
+3
+6
-

10th
+10
+7
+3
+7
Holy Vanguard

[tr]

Spellcasting: At each level except 1st and 6th, you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in a divine spellcasting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If you had more than one divine spellcasting class before becoming a Sun Warrior Vanguard, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day, caster level, and spells known. In addition, your Sun Warrior Vanguard levels stack with your paladin levels (if any) to determine when you receive spellcasting, even if you have not yet gained it before taking levels in Sun Warrior Vanguard.

Maneuvers: At each even-numbered level, you gain one new maneuver known from the Devoted Spirit, Iron Heart, or White Raven disciplines. You must meet a maneuver’s prerequisite to learn it. You add your full Sun Warrior Vanguard levels to your initiator level to determine your total initiator level and your highest-level maneuvers known. At 5th level and 9th level, you gain an additional maneuver readied per day.

Stances Known: At 1st level and again at 6th level, you learn a new martial stance from the Devoted Spirit, Iron Heart, or White Raven discipline. You must meet a stance’s prerequisite to learn it.

Blessed Warrior(Su): At 1st level, you gain the personal blessing of Warlord. If you have paladin levels, your Sun Warrior Vanguard levels stack with them for the purposes of determining you Lay on Hands pool, effective level for turning undead, the power of your aura of good, and damage and uses per day of Smite Evil. Additionally, you may, as an immediate action, expend any amount of your Lay on Hands pool to heal half that amount to all allies within 30 feet. Finally, you gain Protection Devotion as a bonus feat.

Divine Recovery (Su): Beginning at 2nd level, you can channel divine power to recharge your martial maneuvers. You can expend a turn undead attempt as a swift action to recover one expended maneuver. If you are a crusader, the maneuver you recover is immediately available to you as a granted maneuver.

Divine Impetus (Su): At 7th level, you learn how to use the divine power of Warlord to quicken your reactions and act without hesitation. You can expend a turn undead attempt to gain one additional swift action this round. For example, you could use this ability to both change your stance and initiate a boost maneuver in the same turn, or if you initiated a counter before your turn, you can activate this ability and then initiate a boost on your turn.

Holy Vanguard(Su): At 10th level, you have become a paragon of Warlord's virtues, and are as deadly to his foes as you are kind to your kin. This provides a multitude of benefits. Firstly, Warlord’s gift for planning and tactics quickens your reactions, causing you to gain a +15 sacred bonus to initiative checks. Secondly, you may spend a turn attempt as part of any attack to make that attack a smite evil; this does not count against your uses of smite evil for the day. Thirdly, you gain an aura that provides a +2 morale bonus to all rolls by allies within 30 feet, and provides them and yourself immunity to fear (if you already possess an aura of courage, the morale bonus granted by Holy Vanguard improves to +4). Fourthly, you glow as the Daylight spell whenever you so choose (can be turned on or off as a swift action). Finally, any weapon you grasp gains the Holy special quality so long as you possess it, and for one round thereafter.

Multiclass Note: A paladin who becomes a Sun Warrior Vanguard can continue advancing as a paladin.

Thank you in advance,

The_Iron_Lord:smallbiggrin:

The_Iron_Lord
2017-03-06, 05:15 PM
BUMP

Sorry...can someone please review this?

lbuttitta
2017-03-09, 07:10 AM
In my opinion, it seems mostly reasonable, except for two things: the 7th-level power, Divine Impetus, and the 10th-level power, Holy Vanguard.
Divine Impetus lets you break the action economy, and is as overpowered as Divine Metamagic. With just 5 nightsticks (37,500 gp) and a Charisma of 16, you can get up to 23 free swift actions per day. Maybe a "once per X rounds" limitation is in order?
Also, Holy Vanguard lets you go first in the initiative order, no matter what. This ability is also a Salient Divine Ability; I would personally suggest changing that to a +10 initiative bonus or something else. (Even if you don't change it, could you add clarification about what happens if two 10th-level Sun Warrior Vanguards meet in battle? Finally, I would suggest that the +4 bonus be changed to +2.

Just my opinion.

Edit: Miscalculated the example, you only get 23, not 26.

The_Iron_Lord
2017-03-09, 10:18 PM
Divine Impetus is literally copy-pasted from the Ruby Knight Vindicator (ToB)...It's fairly standard stuff, honestly.

I think that the perfect initiative is actually mostly OK, but I see what you mean; I'll change it to +15.

The +4 bonus probably is too much...I guess I probably should change that to +2. :smalltongue:

Thanks Istalri!:smallbiggrin:

lbuttitta
2017-03-10, 11:04 AM
Divine Impetus is literally copy-pasted from the Ruby Knight Vindicator (ToB)...It's fairly standard stuff, honestly.

Yes, because we all know that Ruby Knight Vindicator is completely balanced.
I mean, it's not hard to get extra turn attempts - nightsticks are the most commonly used method, if I recall. My personal suggestion would be to make this ability usable only once per round.

Edit: Changed first sentence's color from blue to black on reconsideration.