PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Optimized Non-Combat Party

QUARE
2017-03-05, 09:06 AM
How would you optimize a 4 person party for an entirely non-combat adventure? It would feature social interactions, puzzles, traps, etc. At the moment here is what I'm thinking:

Lore Bard
Thief or Mastermind Rogue
Moon or Land Druid
????

Ninja_Prawn
2017-03-05, 09:19 AM
I'd say a wizard is the next thing on the list. Probably diviner, but the main thing is the massive spell list and ability to put it all into your spellbook.

Also don't underestimate the value of a high-strength character when dungeoneering. If the bard or druid aren't doing that, it might make sense to bring a barbarian for lifting, pushing, pulling, carrying, smashing, muscling, intimidating and tanking (you can still tank traps).

QUARE
2017-03-05, 09:25 AM
Also don't underestimate the value of a high-strength character when dungeoneering. If the bard or druid aren't doing that, it might make sense to bring a barbarian for lifting, pushing, pulling, carrying, smashing, muscling, intimidating and tanking (you can still tank traps).

I was hoping the Moon Druid's tanking capabilities and versatility would be enough. It can be a Brown Bear for lifting and a little Spider or Rat for spying/scouting.

xyianth
2017-03-05, 10:33 AM
I'd add a warlock. Take advantage of the non combat focused invocations like eyes of the rune keeper, etc... I once built a character for a campaign that used the following tricks to become a master scout:
eyes of the rune keeper + linguist feat = create and decode encrypted messages (campaign was set in middle of a world war type event, so both sides were creating ciphers)
chain pact + voice of the chain master = scout enemy positions through an invisible familiar, report scouting results remotely to superiors
conjuration wizard dip(2 levels) for minor conjuration + keen mind feat = create hyper accurate 3-D maps to report terrain details and enemy encampments
mask of many faces + friends cantrip or charm person spell = infinite first impressions and impressive ability to con your way into restricted locations (further enhanced by the spy background and deception/performance proficiency)
whispers of the grave = interrogate corpses for information
devil's sight = exceptional ability to scout locations in darkness
For those situations where combat is forced, eldritch blast (even without agonizing/repelling) is a pretty good back up plan.

The above character was a variant human conjuration wizard 2/warlock 9 with an archfey patron and a chain pact that had a faerie dragon as a familiar. The faerie dragon was a gift from the patron received when the character was 14. It was 6 years old. (making it orange at the time) The campaign events were taking place 25 years later, making my character 39 and my faerie dragon 31. (blue colored) We actually started at level 1, but the DM had mini campaign arcs (1 session each) for each character's first 3 levels and then flashed forward 25 years to the main campaign events, letting us skip from level 3 to level 7. We then played from level 7 through to the end of the war. (ended around level 13 or so) During the mini campaign arcs, the other players would play one-shot characters as supporting actors.

TheTeaMustFlow
2017-03-05, 10:36 AM
You definitely want a Wizard (Diviner or Illusionist are the obvious choices, but more or less any other than Evocation or Abjuration would do. Eberron Artificer or Loremaster, if allowed, would also be excellent) and you might consider chucking the Bard or Rogue for a Knowledge Cleric.

Stan
2017-03-05, 11:15 AM
I agree with others that the wizard would be a top pick. The sheer flexibility in spell selection allows so much. Plus, they could be a viable combat mage the next day with a different spell selection.

Social interaction means high charisma along with the skill slots to take most of the charisma skills. That could be bard, though rogue would work well too. In a martial society, paladin would work in a pinch. Xyianth is also totally right about warlock - they have some often overlooked invocations that give them at-will non-combat abilities.

Many low combat adventures are high in subteruge and stealth. That means rogue or possibly a shadow monk. Spellcasting can augment or replace that.

My picks would be:
Diviner to magically investigate
Lore Bard with social skills
Arcane Trickster with stealth skills
Devotion paladin to look pretty to NPC martials

I don't think there's one ideal party though, as long as the bases are covered: stealth, talking, investigation, magic.

Naanomi
2017-03-05, 11:18 AM
I'd have a Lore Bard or Mastermind with the Actor Feat and charlatan background to act as 'master of disguise'

A rogue/Druid with tha observant feat maximizing passive perception has a myriad of uses outside of combat

A 'knows stuff' Bard/knowledge Cleric with expertise in the knowledge skills isn't a bad idea either (or Lore wizard?)

Byke
2017-03-06, 09:12 AM
Sorcerer with Subtle spells can dominate any social encounter.

Naanomi
2017-03-06, 09:30 AM
Sorcerer with Subtle spells can dominate any social encounter.
Except those that have individuals that can detect magic or recognize the effects of mind control magic without seeing the spell itself being cast

JellyPooga
2017-03-06, 01:41 PM
I'm going to throw another vote in for the Warlock.

If the game is focused on non-combat encounters, it's likely that you'll have a relatively significant amount of time on your hands and when time isn't an issue, the Warlocks Pact Magic is King. Add in a dearth of Invocations that are focused on non-combat utility, like at-will Detect Magic and Disguise Self, as well as your choice of "more Cantrips than anyone else" and "invisible, flying extra pair of eyes/hands" and you've got yourself a solid contender for one of the best intrigue/social/non-combat Classes in the game.

The Druid really doesn't bring much to the table unless there's a lot of animals involved; maybe a dip for Guidance and Animal Friendship, but the Bard has access to the latter if you think you'll need/want it and Guidance is only a Magic Initiate Feat away (you can even grab both with the one Feat if you don't want to waste a precious spell known slot on AF).

My ideal non-combat party would probably be:

- Thief Rogue (for that tasty tasty UMD eventually) with Magic Initiate: Cleric (for Guidance, Light/Thaumaturgy and Bless) and Ritual Caster: Wizard (might as well let the non-caster maintain any Concentration dependent rituals)
- Lore Bard (really speaks for itself)
- Chain Pact GOO Warlock (he really likes it when a plan comes together)
- Knowledge Cleric (he's the guy with the know-how, versatile)

Ability Scores
Strength: Rogue can do the physical lifting for the party; Str 14 will do. Expertise: Athletics makes up for not having a "high" stat.
Dex/Con: Everyone likes Dex and Con, so whatever the party, these are (idealy) both going to be 14+ on all characters.
Int: Knowledge Cleric can put a 14 here and, like the Rogue, let his Expertise do the heavy lifting on all the "Lore" skills.
Wis: There's a Cleric on the team.
Cha: Both Bard and Warlock will have good Charisma and can Face-man it.

Wizard would be a close 5th man; his versatile spell list is really only as big a boon as it is when you know combat is going to be around every corner; if the combat pillar is taking a massive back-seat to exploration and social encounters, then Wizard loses a lot of what makes him attractive, especially when the Bard can pick up those few spells from his list that don't feature elsewhere.

Zene
2017-03-06, 10:41 PM
I'd just add that the suggestion that the party face be a GOO warlock 2/3 for Awakened Mind, two non-combat invocations, and possibly the sprite familiar (invisible spy with heartsense); and then take sorcerer 3+ for subtle spell. I have a sorclock with Awakened Mind, Mask of Many Faces and Subtle Spell, and it is pretty ridiculous what social shenanigans she can get away with -- and I haven't even hit lock 3 for the familiar yet.