PDA

View Full Version : Would this be over-powered?

TheBrassDuke
2017-03-05, 10:33 AM
So while I'm mulling over a build for a half-Djinn human Sorcerer, I was also considering something else, but I'm not sure if that would make it too powerful...

There are thirteen class levels for the Djinni in Savage Species. Would he be too over-powered if I gave him Sorcerer spellcasting progression at level one, and then let it stack with any actual levels of sorcerer he took after level thirteen? That's about all I'd give the genie, but I was just wondering.

Inevitability
2017-03-05, 10:54 AM
Are you talking about a single level of sorcerer casting, or sorcerer casting equal to the amount of levels in the genie class?

The first is fine. The second is probably unbalanced, unless your group is high-op and non-kobold sorcerers aren't even considered normally.

OldTrees1
2017-03-05, 11:48 AM
The Djinni Monster Class from Savage Species is:
7HD + 6LA (13 levels long) so while it does get Full BAB, Good saves, and 8+Int skills, all of those are at roughly half strength.

It grants Flight, Telepathy, Invisiblity(self) at will, Planeshift at will, Acid Immunity, and the racial "I am a tornado" ability (in addition to some minor stuff not mentioned here).

Some questions:
1) What are the other PCs? Overpowered is always relative
2) Imagine this character at ECL 20, did you mean they would cast as a

a) Sorcerer 8 (this is how I read your question)
b) Sorcerer 14
c) Sorcerer 20

ATHATH
2017-03-05, 01:04 PM
Half-progression might be ok.

ExLibrisMortis
2017-03-05, 02:37 PM
Sorcerer casting equal to RHD would be fine, the LA is very high. Djinni inevitably have a reduced LA of +2 on the authoritative list (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21504537&postcount=795), so you can consider that, as well. You might even be able to drop LA in addition to the casting, but in that case, you're probably looking at LA +4 or +5, not +2.

Necroticplague
2017-03-05, 03:10 PM
So while I'm mulling over a build for a half-Djinn human Sorcerer, I was also considering something else, but I'm not sure if that would make it too powerful...

There are thirteen class levels for the Djinni in Savage Species. Would he be too over-powered if I gave him Sorcerer spellcasting progression at level one, and then let it stack with any actual levels of sorcerer he took after level thirteen? That's about all I'd give the genie, but I was just wondering.

Depends. How much sorceror casting?

TheBrassDuke
2017-03-05, 03:50 PM
I meant, give him sorcerer casting at level one, two, three, and so on--and at level fourteen, if he took level one of sorcerer, it would count towards his "racial casting"...so he'd be casting as a lv. 14 sorcerer.

We have a Half-Fey Elven Paladin of Freedom,

A Human Wizard who will be transitioning into a Mindflayer through the Gates of Dawn at some point,

An Orc--who doesn't really know what she wants to do,

A "Gerudo" too, with no concept yet either.

I expect them to optimize how they wish. So far I'm getting a yes, it may be too over-powered to add sorcerer casting.

OldTrees1
2017-03-05, 03:57 PM
I expect them to optimize how they wish. So far I'm getting a yes, it may be too over-powered to add sorcerer casting.

Wow that character list is a bit all over the place. However it looks like the strongest character besides the djinni is the Wizard and they are never going to progress their spellcasting again.

1 Sorcerer casting per level of the Monster class is way too OP for this group.
1 Sorcerer casting per HD of the Monster class(8 at ECL 14) would be the strongest character in the group. However whether it is too much depends on the Orc and Gerudo.

TheBrassDuke
2017-03-05, 04:02 PM
The party is very interesting...the Wizard was going to be a child at first, using the PF Young Template and 25-point buy, compared to everyone else's 32-point buy...

The Orc has no idea what she'd like to do yet.

The "Gerudo" maintains that she must have her gerudo be exactly like a gerudo from the Zeldaverse--not sure if she's thinking female or male, whether they have magical training, etc...idk.

The Half-Fey Paladin is one of the newer players, but I like his choice.

I'll figure something out. Maybe I'll just go Human Sorcerer with a refluffed Unseelie Fey template, make it more djinn-like.

OldTrees1
2017-03-05, 04:08 PM
I'll figure something out. Maybe I'll just go Human Sorcerer with a refluffed Unseelie Fey template, make it more djinn-like.

While that is less OP than the Djinni with Sorcerer casting = ECL, you might want to look at the rest of the party and try to aim close to their power. Only the Wizard would be comparable to your Unseelie Fey and even then only up until they undergo their transformation.

TheBrassDuke
2017-03-05, 04:39 PM
What about the Half-Fey Paladin of Freedom? He's pretty powerful. But you're probably right.

OldTrees1
2017-03-05, 04:42 PM
What about the Half-Fey Paladin of Freedom? He's pretty powerful. But you're probably right.

The Half Fey is probably about as strong as the Illithid or a normal Djinni. The Half Fey has more HD and some class features but their spell-like abilities are limited to X/day.

TheBrassDuke
2017-03-05, 04:56 PM
The Half Fey is probably about as strong as the Illithid or a normal Djinni. The Half Fey has more HD and some class features but their spell-like abilities are limited to X/day.

Yeah, though he was allowed to take Magic in the Blood.