PDA

View Full Version : Ask A Feline

WarKitty
2017-03-05, 11:37 AM
So in my abundant feline wisdom, I have decided to start an ask me anything thread! I take any questions, feline, human, or catgirl. Have fun!

Prince Zahn
2017-03-05, 12:06 PM
Hi there!
Quick question - my cat uses claws for nearly everything, now I'm my cat's favorite, but why do you imagine he would use them on me? does he not know they hurt?

WarKitty
2017-03-05, 12:16 PM
Hi there!
Quick question - my cat uses claws for nearly everything, now I'm my cat's favorite, but why do you imagine he would use them on me? does he not know they hurt?

Probably not. Cats have fur that cushions them from claws. My advice is to yell "ow" loudly and move away from the cat every time he uses his claws on you. If claws bring loud pain noises and a lack of attention he'll stop.

2D8HP
2017-03-05, 12:25 PM
Why are you not posting more images of cats?

http://static.boredpanda.com/blog/wp-content/uuuploads/funny-liquid-cats/funny-liquid-cats-13.jpg

WarKitty
2017-03-05, 12:26 PM
Why are you not posting more images of cats?

http://images.fineartamerica.com/images/artworkimages/mediumlarge/1/rainbow-cat-shaff-oceans.jpg

An Enemy Spy
2017-03-05, 12:35 PM
Why do cats love rubbing on things? My cat doesn't like being pet, but if I just stick my hand out, she will rub her face all over it. Also, she pooped in the bathtub yesterday even though I had recently cleaned her litter box.

WarKitty
2017-03-05, 12:49 PM
Why do cats love rubbing on things? My cat doesn't like being pet, but if I just stick my hand out, she will rub her face all over it. Also, she pooped in the bathtub yesterday even though I had recently cleaned her litter box.

Cats have scent glands in their faces. Rubbing on things is a way to mark them as hers. She's marking you as her human!

As far as pooping outside of the litter box, that could be any number of things. If you have multiple cats, or if you recently changed litter brands, those can provoke it. If it keeps up and there's no identifiable reason it's best to take kitty to the evil kitty doctor.

2D8HP
2017-03-05, 01:08 PM
¿Quién es más macho?

¿El León

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c6/Okonjima_Lioness.jpg/150px-Okonjima_Lioness.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/73/Lion_waiting_in_Namibia.jpg/150px-Lion_waiting_in_Namibia.jpg

¿O' el Tigre?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d8/Panthera_tigris_corbetti_%28Tierpark_Berlin%29_832-714-%28118%29.jpg/150px-Panthera_tigris_corbetti_%28Tierpark_Berlin%29_832-714-%28118%29.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/54/Tigress_at_Jim_Corbett_National_Park.jpg/150px-Tigress_at_Jim_Corbett_National_Park.jpg

Mauve Shirt
2017-03-05, 01:10 PM
Why are we talking about cats anyway? This thread threatens my identity as a dog person.

WarKitty
2017-03-05, 01:15 PM
¿Quién es más macho?

¿El León

¿O' el Tigre?

El Tigre. Rayas son atractivos.

Why are we talking about cats anyway? This thread threatens my identity as a dog person.

hisses

Beleriphon
2017-03-05, 01:17 PM
Why, why does my cat hate being brushed? He's so fluffy and cute, and loves scratches and pets, but hates being brushed.

WarKitty
2017-03-05, 01:20 PM
Why, why does my cat hate being brushed? He's so fluffy and cute, and loves scratches and pets, but hates being brushed.

That really just varies by cat (like with humans). I have one cat who loves brushing. I've dealt with another who thought the brush was a thing to be attacked. He either doesn't like the sensation or isn't used to the brush being used.

Spanish_Paladin
2017-03-05, 01:41 PM
Two questions:

1) Meow... meooooooww marrrammmiau?

2) why my friend`s cat uses to climb me until he is upon my shoulders and stay there until i catch her? (i am 1`90 m.)

Aedilred
2017-03-05, 01:45 PM
¿Quién es más macho?

¿El León

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c6/Okonjima_Lioness.jpg/150px-Okonjima_Lioness.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/73/Lion_waiting_in_Namibia.jpg/150px-Lion_waiting_in_Namibia.jpg

¿O' el Tigre?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d8/Panthera_tigris_corbetti_%28Tierpark_Berlin%29_832-714-%28118%29.jpg/150px-Panthera_tigris_corbetti_%28Tierpark_Berlin%29_832-714-%28118%29.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/54/Tigress_at_Jim_Corbett_National_Park.jpg/150px-Tigress_at_Jim_Corbett_National_Park.jpg

Oh no, you've done it now!

One of the strangest things I've seen on this forum was a newbie who arrived, posted a thread about lions vs tigers, accompanied with thousands of words of text, erratically copy-pasted from various sources, and then when anyone replied to the thread in any form at all accused them of being "BLINDED BY PRO-TIGER PROPAGANDA!" and would post several thousand more words about the superiority of lions.

The thread didn't last very long, but I remember it well. Also, the answer is "tigers"

An Enemy Spy
2017-03-05, 01:46 PM

One of the strangest things I've seen on this forum was a newbie who arrived, posted a thread about lions vs tigers, accompanied with thousands of words of text, erratically copy-pasted from various sources, and then when anyone replied to the thread in any form at all accused them of being "BLINDED BY PRO-TIGER PROPAGANDA!" and would post several thousand more words about the superiority of lions.

The thread didn't last very long, but I remember it well. Also, the answer is "tigers"

Which is silly because tigers are so obviously the better cat. EVIDENCE: The Detroit Tigers have won four World Series while the Detroit Lions have yet to win a single Super Bowl.

Aedilred
2017-03-05, 01:53 PM
A more serious question. A friend of mine has a cat who is very (most likely terminally) ill with kidney disease. I have known the cat in question since he was a baby and I am quite fond of him. He's always been very happy and energetic, if a bit dim. He's not very old, only about 8-9.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/1928907_142100194552_1092996_n.jpg?oh=d062ba6418ef ade3c546844f0a42f5dc&oe=592C2DB4

I'm thinking of going over to visit this week while the cat is still around (especially as I haven't seen my friend in a few years anyway). He's always enjoyed playing with toys, even more than most other cats - laser pointers and catnip in particular but a bit of string would do. He lives with (I think) five other cats, who have not always appreciated his playfulness. I'm wondering if he would enjoy my taking something over to play with him with or whether the kidney disease is likely to have taken it out of him sufficiently that it would just be taunting him. Could I get a cat perspective?

WarKitty
2017-03-05, 02:38 PM
Two questions:

1) Meow... meooooooww marrrammmiau?

Mrrrrow! Mew mew meow rowr.

2) why my friend`s cat uses to climb me until he is upon my shoulders and stay there until i catch her? (i am 1`90 m.)

Better attack position. And you probably hold still well.

A more serious question. A friend of mine has a cat who is very (most likely terminally) ill with kidney disease. I have known the cat in question since he was a baby and I am quite fond of him. He's always been very happy and energetic, if a bit dim. He's not very old, only about 8-9.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/1928907_142100194552_1092996_n.jpg?oh=d062ba6418ef ade3c546844f0a42f5dc&oe=592C2DB4

I'm thinking of going over to visit this week while the cat is still around (especially as I haven't seen my friend in a few years anyway). He's always enjoyed playing with toys, even more than most other cats - laser pointers and catnip in particular but a bit of string would do. He lives with (I think) five other cats, who have not always appreciated his playfulness. I'm wondering if he would enjoy my taking something over to play with him with or whether the kidney disease is likely to have taken it out of him sufficiently that it would just be taunting him. Could I get a cat perspective?

That's going to be completely individual to the cat, unfortunately. I hope your feline friend still has the energy to enjoy himself!

2D8HP
2017-03-05, 04:23 PM
El Tigre. Rayas son atractivos.

Que es cierto que el tigre es un poco más macho que el león.

Bien hecho!

¿Yo?

This bit of silliness was inspired by the old 1970's Saturday Night Live skit:

¿Quién es más macho?

which had Bill Murray playing the host of a quiz show with Gilda Radnor as a contestant. Murray would ask completely in Spanish who is a more "macho" celebrity, and at the end we learn that while Ricardo Montalbán is "muy" (very) macho, in fact Fernando Lamas is "un poco" (a little bit) more macho (tough, manly etc.)

It was very silly

P.S. Your colorful cat picture was wonderful.
Thanks!

Beleriphon
2017-03-05, 04:32 PM

I'd honestly suggest bring over a toy, the worst that will happen is you'll have to go slow and let him catch it. Most cats if they enjoy play will still enjoy some kind of play time even if terminally ill. Its only when they stop playing altogether you know things have gone really, really down hill.

Also, for anybody that likes cats, there is a CBC Nature of Things documentary titled "The Lion in Your Living Room (http://www.cbc.ca/natureofthings/episodes/the-lion-in-your-living-room)".

Some Android
2017-03-05, 04:34 PM
What is love?

Razade
2017-03-05, 07:00 PM
How does this differ from Random Banter?

Mith
2017-03-05, 07:06 PM
How does this differ from Random Banter?

I would presume because the topic is more feline focused than most regular conversations on the Internet.

Edit: I guess my question is, do you (or anyone who care to give answer), have much experience with either Maine ***** or Norwegian Forest Cats? What is your impression of the breeds and would you personally recommend one?

I currently live at home, but when I move out, I do not plan on taking my cat (arguably my mom's and mine, but he likes me more :smallbiggrin:), as he likes being on an acreage and to come and go as he pleases. However, I would still likely want a cat for company. And those cats look and sound like they would be nice to have, as they appear to be a lot calmer breed. And big cats mean that if they are a cuddly cat, they are great book reading company.

Aedilred
2017-03-05, 08:05 PM
I would presume because the topic is more feline focused than most regular conversations on the Internet.

Edit: I guess my question is, do you (or anyone who care to give answer), have much experience with either Maine ***** or Norwegian Forest Cats? What is your impression of the breeds and would you personally recommend one?

I currently live at home, but when I move out, I do not plan on taking my cat (arguably my mom's and mine, but he likes me more :smallbiggrin:), as he likes being on an acreage and to come and go as he pleases. However, I would still likely want a cat for company. And those cats look and sound like they would be nice to have, as they appear to be a lot calmer breed. And big cats mean that if they are a cuddly cat, they are great book reading company.

Some friends of mine had a Maine **** when I was in the US. To be honest it seemed much like any other friendly cat, except bigger.

WarKitty
2017-03-05, 08:12 PM

The danger with those breeds is that they're more active than many (although I don't have personal experience with them). So if you have a small apartment, you'll probably have to train your cat to take walks or otherwise find something to really wear it out.

Scarlet Knight
2017-03-05, 08:54 PM
Lions are more macho. The lion is the King of the Jungle. Thank you; thank you very much...

http://culturacolectiva.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/alex-solis-elvis1.png

Plus, the Detroit Lions were NFL champions 4 times, while the Cincinnati Bengals never were.

Mith
2017-03-05, 09:52 PM
The danger with those breeds is that they're more active than many (although I don't have personal experience with them). So if you have a small apartment, you'll probably have to train your cat to take walks or otherwise find something to really wear it out.

Good to know. What would you recommend for forms of entertainment for a cat that would be space efficient? I would likely still adapt to taking the cat for walks, but it would help to have something for during the day.

Aedilred
2017-03-05, 10:17 PM
Good to know. What would you recommend for forms of entertainment for a cat that would be space efficient? I would likely still adapt to taking the cat for walks, but it would help to have something for during the day.

Depending how in control of your space you are, and to what extent you're prepared to modify it for the cat, you can install walkways and platforms on the walls which allow the cat to have the same sort of exercise that comes from climbing trees and fences without leaving the house (and also sit above head height and bat people as they go past). Something like this:
http://cdn.acidcow.com/pics/20090921/cats_s_walkway_03.jpg

A scratching post is a good idea since it means the cat can wear down its claws "naturally" without you either having to clip them or having the cat take it out on the furniture/wallpaper/human legs. Cats also like boxes, although that's really more a matter of just giving the cat a box whenever you get one than having a permanent fixture. Of course, there are all sorts of cat toys on the market, though in my experience cats will often select their own toys from among your possessions anyway. Small stuffed animals, things on strings that can be made to wriggle about, laser pointers (obviously), balls, and things with catnip in have been popular with almost all the cats I've known. They don't all go for everything, but anything that moves in a moderately interesting way or is something the cat can grab in its mouth and and "kill" tends to serve as a cat toy. Some energetic cats, especially when young, will make their own entertainment to an extent: we fostered one for a while who appropriated a small stuffed tiger from one of my housemates. One of his favourite games was to throw it down the stairs and chase it, and he would happily do this at 1am while everyone was asleep.

With all that said, the best form of entertainment, especially if you're going to be leaving a young cat alone for large portions of the day, is another cat.

Mith
2017-03-05, 11:11 PM
Depending how in control of your space you are, and to what extent you're prepared to modify it for the cat, you can install walkways and platforms on the walls which allow the cat to have the same sort of exercise that comes from climbing trees and fences without leaving the house (and also sit above head height and bat people as they go past). Something like this:
http://cdn.acidcow.com/pics/20090921/cats_s_walkway_03.jpg

A scratching post is a good idea since it means the cat can wear down its claws "naturally" without you either having to clip them or having the cat take it out on the furniture/wallpaper/human legs. Cats also like boxes, although that's really more a matter of just giving the cat a box whenever you get one than having a permanent fixture. Of course, there are all sorts of cat toys on the market, though in my experience cats will often select their own toys from among your possessions anyway. Small stuffed animals, things on strings that can be made to wriggle about, laser pointers (obviously), balls, and things with catnip in have been popular with almost all the cats I've known. They don't all go for everything, but anything that moves in a moderately interesting way or is something the cat can grab in its mouth and and "kill" tends to serve as a cat toy. Some energetic cats, especially when young, will make their own entertainment to an extent: we fostered one for a while who appropriated a small stuffed tiger from one of my housemates. One of his favourite games was to throw it down the stairs and chase it, and he would happily do this at 1am while everyone was asleep.

With all that said, the best form of entertainment, especially if you're going to be leaving a young cat alone for large portions of the day, is another cat.

Thanks for the ideas. This is more for collecting interesting suggestions. Ideally I would think if I had an apartment/small house, it would be to have a cat room. In deference to practicality, i would probably make my office part that, which means if I have to put the cats in one room because company are allergic to cats. Perhaps put the walkways up for hallways and living room. Of course, most apartments that I m aware of don't allow for such modifications.

As for the nocturnal cat shenanigans, I am significantly hearing impaired, so that is not a disturbance to me. :smallbiggrin:

WarKitty
2017-03-05, 11:41 PM

Vertical space is the key idea. Cats like to be able to climb and jump. Wall shelves are good if you can attach them, but if not towers and regular shelves and such work well. Just don't leave anything breakable out.

Toys that involve a lot of jumping and chasing are good too. Those wands with a feather on the end are good as something to get the cat to jump for. Laser pointers are always tried and true.

Mith
2017-03-06, 12:08 AM
If you can do the renovations neccesary, I can see a catwalk around a room looking nice enough from an athsetics point of view as well. Just make sure it is still at easy to clean height and dust regularly.

This is a great thread for idea generation.

Peelee
2017-03-06, 12:26 AM
Some friends of mine had a Maine **** when I was in the US. To be honest it seemed much like any other friendly cat, except bigger.

A note on this that makes it worse, for Norwegian Forest Cats especially, breeders like to stipulate as a condition of sale that you won't allow the cat outside. Which sucks, because them things can climb trees like you wouldn't believe. My guy isn't pure-blooded, but very obviously has a large amount of wegie blood in him, and he loves the outside world. Would be able to handle a couple hours at a time outside for most of the year before coming back in, but once November hit and weather got cold, he started staying out from sunup to sundown, and the wife got concerned and put the banhammer on his excursions.

I'd totally recommend a Forest Cat, but be warned, part of being a large breed is that they are strong. Imean, don't get me wrong here, mine is a gentle giant that rarely even twitches unless he really wants to be able to roam free when I hold him, but one time he did very, very much want to get away, and it took a lot to keep him in place. He'd be a little kitty Hulk if he wasn't so gentle.

Aedilred
2017-03-06, 12:44 AM
A note on this that makes it worse, for Norwegian Forest Cats especially, breeders like to stipulate as a condition of sale that you won't allow the cat outside. Which sucks, because them things can climb trees like you wouldn't believe. My guy isn't pure-blooded, but very obviously has a large amount of wegie blood in him, and he loves the outside world. Would be able to handle a couple hours at a time outside for most of the year before coming back in, but once November hit and weather got cold, he started staying out from sunup to sundown, and the wife got concerned and put the banhammer on his excursions.

Is this condition to prevent the cat from breeding (and thus cutting into their exclusivity) or out of concern for local wildlife? In the former case, that's easily addressed by having the cat neutered (which ime many breeders do before sale anyway). The latter is trickier, because cats can indeed decimate local fauna and it's actually a serious problem in some regions. I imagine that large cat breeds could do even more damage. On the other hand, part of the point in having a cat, imo, is that it can take care of vermin for you, and if you don't let the cat outside to track down mouse and rat nests you make it much harder for it to do so. Damage to birdlife can be mitigated to some extent with a bell, although that's still an imperfect solution. Putting high fences with wire on around the garden to stop the cat escaping will contain it at least, and bringing it in and locking it up at night can also help. If you're taking your cat on walks which are supervised by definition and that's the only time it gets fresh air, its chances of catching anything outside the house are pretty much nil.

In any case, how is that condition enforceable on the part of the breeder? Once you're out of their sight, presumably you can pretty much let your cat do what you want and the chances of their ever finding out or being able to prove that you breached the term are negligible. I can imagine insurance companies imposing that sort of condition, and that's more of a problem. But I also don't imagine such a condition is anywhere near universal, and it shouldn't be hard to get pet insurance which allows a cat to go outside.

I'd totally recommend a Forest Cat, but be warned, part of being a large breed is that they are strong. Imean, don't get me wrong here, mine is a gentle giant that rarely even twitches unless he really wants to be able to roam free when I hold him, but one time he did very, very much want to get away, and it took a lot to keep him in place. He'd be a little kitty Hulk if he wasn't so gentle.
I think having a good temperament is pretty much essential for a larger cat, so these breeds have probably been selected partly for docility. Watching the way that big cats (i.e. lions, tigers, etc.) behave I am often struck by how similar they are to domestic cats. Cats have been domesticated, but they aren't dogs, and so they will scratch and to a lesser extent bite when excited or agitated and that's to be expected. Because cats are small creatures and so only have tiny teeth and claws, this can be painful but, unless you get really unlucky with an infection or your eye or the like, not dangerous. Scale the cat up a bit to the size of a cougar though and this becomes potentially life-threatening. The large domestic cat breeds obviously aren't as big as that, but they are still capable of doing some damage if they so choose.

Peelee
2017-03-06, 12:48 AM
Is this condition to prevent the cat from breeding (and thus cutting into their exclusivity) or out of concern for local wildlife? In the former case, that's easily addressed by having the cat neutered (which ime many breeders do before sale anyway). The latter is trickier, because cats can indeed decimate local fauna and it's actually a serious problem in some regions. I imagine that large cat breeds could do even more damage. On the other hand, part of the point in having a cat, imo, is that it can take care of vermin for you, and if you don't let the cat outside to track down mouse and rat nests you make it much harder for it to do so. Damage to birdlife can be mitigated to some extent with a bell, although that's still an imperfect solution. Putting high fences with wire on around the garden to stop the cat escaping will contain it at least, and bringing it in and locking it up at night can also help. If you're taking your cat on walks which are supervised by definition and that's the only time it gets fresh air, its chances of catching anything outside the house are pretty much nil.

In any case, how is that condition enforceable on the part of the breeder? Once you're out of their sight, presumably you can pretty much let your cat do what you want and the chances of their ever finding out or being able to prove that you breached the term are negligible. I can imagine insurance companies imposing that sort of condition, and that's more of a problem. But I also don't imagine such a condition is anywhere near universal, and it shouldn't be hard to get pet insurance which allows a cat to go outside.

I doubt that it's relevant to breeding, since most cats they send out are spayed or neutered before they leave (you can get them without being spayed or neutered from most of them if you're willing to shell out enough money for it). It probably is either a wildlife stipulation, or a "people complained their cat ran away which we have no control over so this means you can't complain about that to us" stipulation. As far as I can tell, it's absolutely unenforceable.

I may have looked into a lot of NFC catteries shortly after getting my little dude so he could have a friend. Then realized I didn't actually have a couple grand to drop on a cat (unless he's already mine and has medical issues. Erebus gonna get anything he needs in life, I can tell you that right now).

Prince Zahn
2017-03-06, 03:23 AM
Another Question: why does my cat sometimes lick me, and then bite me?

needless to say I don't get cats like you do:smallredface:

WarKitty
2017-03-06, 09:51 AM
Another Question: why does my cat sometimes lick me, and then bite me?

needless to say I don't get cats like you do:smallredface:

I'm guessing it's a fairly gentle nibble, rather than full-on biting? Cats lick each other and nibble at their fur as part of social grooming. So kitty is trying to groom you like she would another cat.

Mith
2017-03-06, 11:46 AM
I'm guessing it's a fairly gentle nibble, rather than full-on biting? Cats lick each other and nibble at their fur as part of social grooming. So kitty is trying to groom you like she would another cat.

When I first grew a beard, I would wake up to find my face getting groomed by my cat. Also, when you have enough hair between your skin and the cat claws, cat kneading is a strangely pleasant feeling.

lio45
2017-03-06, 01:26 PM

Oooh, can we get pics of him?!? :)

Peelee
2017-03-06, 02:25 PM
Oooh, can we get pics of him?!? :)

http://i.imgur.com/llUohXs.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/RNmDeC3.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/GP4l6sk.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Wb0XUYN.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/IeuakiX.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/jIVWlfM.jpg

lio45
2017-03-06, 03:10 PM
So cute! :)

Isn't Titania a 'Lynx Point'?

WarKitty
2017-03-06, 10:47 PM
Mimi does the lick and nibble thing

Mimi:
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/1385087_830005949814_943290400_n.jpg?oh=220da471d4 7286b0990bc638e0b3c370&oe=5939503F

Yes, she dug the candy wrapper out of the trash.

Peelee
2017-03-07, 12:23 AM
So cute! :)

Isn't Titania a 'Lynx Point'?
My wife has informed me that you are correct.

Mimi does the lick and nibble thing

Mimi:
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/1385087_830005949814_943290400_n.jpg?oh=220da471d4 7286b0990bc638e0b3c370&oe=5939503F

Yes, she dug the candy wrapper out of the trash.

....I wanna pet her.

Prince Zahn
2017-03-07, 06:57 AM
Which would you say is your favorite cat Ever? (1 of each of real and fictional)?

EDIT:OMGOSH Mimi! <3 <3

FinnLassie
2017-03-07, 08:02 AM
What is a good non-threatening way to introduce yourself to a cat?

WarKitty
2017-03-07, 09:52 AM
What is a good non-threatening way to introduce yourself to a cat?

Mimi was actually an abused cat, so I have practice at being non-threatening. First step is to sit down on the floor so you're more on the cat's level. Then hold out your hand and allow the cat to sniff. If the cat seems ok with you, then you may very gently try to pet. If the cat's not ok with you, easiest way to make friends is just to sit quietly on the floor.

Quild
2017-03-07, 10:24 AM
Dogs exists in both small and big sizes and are equally good companions in each of these sizes.
Why is it so hard to have a big cat? I don't want a puny kitten.

Mith
2017-03-07, 11:50 AM
Are you thinking in terms of "cat the size of a retriever"?

I think the problem is more that humans and natural selection favoured smallish cats, with larger cats being to energy intesive and dangerous to domesticate.

Iruka
2017-03-07, 12:07 PM
I have pretty much wondered the same for small cats. Why no tiny cats when tiny dogs nest in handbags all over the world?

Aedilred
2017-03-07, 12:46 PM
Cats aren't really public display animals and fashion accessories in the way that dogs can be, so I guess there hasn't been the same push to turn them into all sorts of weird shapes and sizes. There are cat shows, but those are controlled environments, and you don't get people walking around town with their cat in the same way. They're also not used as working animals in the same way that dogs are: big dogs have been developed to hunt large animals, or to retrieve animals you've shot. Good luck getting a cat to do that for you. Being naturally smaller animals, cats would have more of a problem when you "scaled them up", too. Big dogs are often pretty unhealthy and I imagine were you to get a cat the same size, that problem would be even greater.

Plus there's the danger issue. A cat the size of a Great Dane would be roughly equivalent in size to a cougar, which is easily capable of killing someone. Cats being much more willing to bite and scratch than dogs are, that's a real problem.

On the smaller side, the smallest cat breeds, like the Singapura, are no bigger than the smallest dogs.

Peelee
2017-03-07, 12:55 PM
Dogs exists in both small and big sizes and are equally good companions in each of these sizes.
Why is it so hard to have a big cat? I don't want a puny kitten.

Imean, cats also exist in both small and large sizes. You just need an exotic animal license for the big sizes.

shadow_archmagi
2017-03-07, 11:58 PM
Mimi was actually an abused cat, so I have practice at being non-threatening. First step is to sit down on the floor so you're more on the cat's level. Then hold out your hand and allow the cat to sniff. If the cat seems ok with you, then you may very gently try to pet. If the cat's not ok with you, easiest way to make friends is just to sit quietly on the floor.

This. There's not really anything you can to do a cat to establish your friendliness- You just have to be present and not make sudden moves long enough that the cat starts to suspect you're not here to murder them, and then accept any offers of friendship they give, and never push your luck too much.

WarKitty
2017-03-08, 11:04 AM
Imean, cats also exist in both small and large sizes. You just need an exotic animal license for the big sizes.

A lot of big cats don't breed well in captivity, which is probably part of why they were never really domesticated.

As far as our regular cats, well, the main functional role for cats in human history was pest control. They're not animals suited for hunting in the way humans hunt, by and large. So they needed to be small enough to hang out in the barn and catch mice.

Scarlet Knight
2017-03-09, 09:39 PM
Plus there's the danger issue. A cat the size of a Great Dane would be roughly equivalent in size to a cougar, which is easily capable of killing someone. Cats being much more willing to bite and scratch than dogs are, that's a real problem.

That is one litter box I do NOT want to clean...:smallyuk:

Grand Arbiter
2017-03-09, 11:46 PM
Have you heard of the series "The Cat Who ..." by Lillian Jackson Braun?

WarKitty
2017-03-11, 10:53 AM
Have you heard of the series "The Cat Who ..." by Lillian Jackson Braun?

I'm familiar with them, although I never got into them much myself. Mystery isn't really my genre.

Scarlet Knight
2017-03-18, 06:51 AM
I have 2 outdoor cats. They are good hunters, protect my home's perimeter from rodent invasion, and bring me the bodies. But they also killed birds, toads, & snakes. How can I teach them "fur good, feathers bad"? I can't usually reward them as I find the bodies and can't tell who to praise or scold.

Aedilred
2017-03-18, 02:40 PM
I have 2 outdoor cats. They are good hunters, protect my home's perimeter from rodent invasion, and bring me the bodies. But they also killed birds, toads, & snakes. How can I teach them "fur good, feathers bad"? I can't usually reward them as I find the bodies and can't tell who to praise or scold.

Realistically, I don't think you can. It is in a cat's nature to attack things that appear like food. I have noticed that cats will instinctively attack lizard-shaped objects even if they're not moving: it seems cats have some kind of pre-programmed instinct to attack things of a certain shape and size. I suppose if you wanted to try you could get some toy birds, mice, and so on and see what they did with them and reward/scold them appropriately, but I don't think it would work (would a cat be able to make that distinction in your reaction?), and I think cats can on some level tell the difference between live prey and toys.

Peelee
2017-03-18, 03:11 PM
Realistically, I don't think you can. It is in a cat's nature to attack things that appear like food. I have noticed that cats will instinctively attack lizard-shaped objects even if they're not moving: it seems cats have some kind of pre-programmed instinct to attack things of a certain shape and size. I suppose if you wanted to try you could get some toy birds, mice, and so on and see what they did with them and reward/scold them appropriately, but I don't think it would work (would a cat be able to make that distinction in your reaction?), and I think cats can on some level tell the difference between live prey and toys.

Oh, absolutely. They can even have favorite toys, like dogs.

Prince Zahn
2017-03-19, 12:34 AM
How come cats and dogs typically hate each other? I know that sometimes they can get along once they're used to each other but I'm talking about the general case where a dog and cat cross paths, or when you bring one into the other's home.

Peelee
2017-03-19, 07:37 AM
How come cats and dogs typically hate each other? I know that sometimes they can get along once they're used to each other but I'm talking about the general case where a dog and cat cross paths, or when you bring one into the other's home.

Cats are very territorial, and quite often even dislike other cats brought into their home. Cats are also much smaller than most dogs, so dogs can have a "hunt the small creature" attitude, and cats can have a "don't let the giant get me" attitude. Even if the dog is gentle and playful and immediately likes the cat, the cat still sees an energetic giant running towards him - still scary.

Cats and dogs can easily get along, if they are introduced to each other well (just like adding more cats to a household), or raised together from kitten/puppy.

aloysius
2017-03-21, 07:38 PM
why refer to yourself as feline

WarKitty
2017-03-23, 07:14 PM
why refer to yourself as feline

...Meow??...

Iruka
2017-03-24, 03:41 AM
I read somewhere that it is unknown how intelligent cats actually are since it is impossible to get them to participate in those tests. Is there any truth to this?

pendell
2017-03-24, 07:40 AM
Ask a feline? Okay...

Meow. Meow meow meow. Purr?

Tongue-in-cheek,

Brian P.

Knaight
2017-03-24, 08:16 AM
This. There's not really anything you can to do a cat to establish your friendliness- You just have to be present and not make sudden moves long enough that the cat starts to suspect you're not here to murder them, and then accept any offers of friendship they give, and never push your luck too much.

Although giving them food can help.

Aedilred
2017-03-24, 09:12 AM
When meeting a new cat who isn't immediately friendly, I tend to crouch down, hold out a hand at cat height, snap my fingers a couple of times and then keep it there. More often than not the cat comes over to investigate pretty quickly and then lets me stroke them. It doesn't always work, especially on very timid cats, but I find it fairly reliable.

gooddragon1
2017-03-24, 09:32 AM
So in my abundant feline wisdom, I have decided to start an ask me anything thread! I take any questions, feline, human, or catgirl. Have fun!

Why don't you pet kitty? Are you aware that the only thing kitty is guilty of is wanting to be petted?

And now I have to go pet kitty.

Moral Quandary: If you see a cat sleeping, should you pet them?

Cazero
2017-03-24, 02:14 PM
I've heard that humans couldn't communicate with lions even with a shared language was established. How does that hold up with other felines?

Oneris
2017-03-24, 04:23 PM
My roommate's cat often asks for scratches but always stands just out of reach from my chair. Does she like seeing me flail and relent to getting up, or is there a less jerky motive for acting like that?

WarKitty
2017-03-25, 11:47 AM
I read somewhere that it is unknown how intelligent cats actually are since it is impossible to get them to participate in those tests. Is there any truth to this?

Cats do tend to be less willing to participate in tests, although it is most likely possible to train them to do so. That said...I'm honestly suspicious of animal intelligence tests. Even with humans intelligence testing is a very murky field, and it's almost impossible to genuinely measure raw intelligence rather than extrinsics like education or language proficiency. I have my doubts how well we can manage to

Ask a feline? Okay...

Meow. Meow meow meow. Purr?

Tongue-in-cheek,

Brian P.

Mew mew purr purr.

Why don't you pet kitty? Are you aware that the only thing kitty is guilty of is wanting to be petted?

And now I have to go pet kitty.

Moral Quandary: If you see a cat sleeping, should you pet them?

Really depends on the cat. I wouldn't do it with a cat you don't know, as you could get bit or scratched if you startle them. I do it with mimi all the time though.

I've heard that humans couldn't communicate with lions even with a shared language was established. How does that hold up with other felines?

I'm honestly not sure how to parse that. A shared language, in order for both parties to be truly said to be proficient in the language, would require a certain amount of mutual comprehension. If communication is impossible I would say the two parties don't truly share a language.

My roommate's cat often asks for scratches but always stands just out of reach from my chair. Does she like seeing me flail and relent to getting up, or is there a less jerky motive for acting like that?

Honestly, cats just don't get human bodies very well. My old roommate's cat used to try to play fetch by dropping a toy in the small of my back and then sitting on my back.

S@tanicoaldo
2017-03-25, 12:15 PM
How do you make a cat stop pooping in your garden? >:(

WarKitty
2017-03-25, 12:23 PM
How do you make a cat stop pooping in your garden? >:(

Simplest thing is to add plants that cats don't like the smell of. There are several useful plants that will deter cats (lavender and rosemary are two common ones), but a google search should tell you what you can put in for your local growing area.

Jay R
2017-03-25, 12:57 PM

Cats refuse to participate in those tests. This is the proof that they are highly intelligent.

S@tanicoaldo
2017-03-25, 02:58 PM
Simplest thing is to add plants that cats don't like the smell of. There are several useful plants that will deter cats (lavender and rosemary are two common ones), but a google search should tell you what you can put in for your local growing area.

I did that and it didn't work D:

I think I may be plagued by an evil demon in the form of a cat.

Do you think that setting up rat traps with meat on them would be too cruel?

WarKitty
2017-03-25, 03:02 PM
I did that and it didn't work D:

I think I may be plagued by an evil demon in the form of a cat.

Do you know what sort of cats you are dealing with? Is it an indoor/outdoor cat belonging to a neighbor? Is it a feral?

S@tanicoaldo
2017-03-25, 03:09 PM
Do you know what sort of cats you are dealing with? Is it an indoor/outdoor cat belonging to a neighbor? Is it a feral?

If by feral you mean a random cat from the streets who has no human owner. Then yes, feral.

I saw it last night he had white fur but was all dirty, had one eye of each color and hissed at me. :smallmad::smallsigh:

WarKitty
2017-03-25, 03:16 PM
if by feral you mean a random cat from the streets who has no human owner. The yes, feral.

I saw it last night he had white fur but was all dirty, had one eye of each color and hissed at me. :smallmad::smallsigh:

Your best bet may be to see if there's a feral cat rescue around you. You might have to trap him yourself but you can get cat traps and turn him over to a rescue.

Honest Tiefling
2017-03-25, 03:21 PM
Feral cats are essentially wild, but descended from domestic cats. The cats could simply be a stray, which are not wild and less likely to bite you. If you live near a zoo see if they sell Zoo Poop, or the leavings of large predators which can deter some animals. Garden or farming suppliers should have a similar product.

I have a question, do you have a recommendation on some tips for people with elderly cats? I think my current fuzzball is approaching 16 years of age and I want to make sure he's doing alright. Sadly, he does not appear to be a breed that is known for a long life.

Also, do you have any tips on rescue cats? He seems to be very convinced that he cannot eat in certain parts of my apartment for fear of other people or cardboard boxes.

S@tanicoaldo
2017-03-25, 03:26 PM
Your best bet may be to see if there's a feral cat rescue around you. You might have to trap him yourself but you can get cat traps and turn him over to a rescue.

Ohhh.. That sounds like so much work :smallsigh:

2D8HP
2017-04-05, 07:39 AM
A fierce warrior in armor!

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThB7luro9eVIqwwkKKNRqKA7-kOs4YEgeCQtrfCEm6O4iN5e5y2Q

Just not enough images of cats in this thread. NEED MORE PLEASE!

Aedilred
2017-04-05, 03:05 PM

Yes. It may also be illegal, depending on jurisdiction.

Not to mention the risk you take of injuring something other than the cat you intend: a neighbour's pet, or wild animal.

Do not do this.

Unless you mean a trap which catches the animal alive for later release, but in that case a rat trap wouldn't be big enough. In fact a rat trap probably wouldn't be big enough to do more than inconvenience or injure a cat anyway.

WarKitty
2017-04-05, 04:31 PM
Feral cats are essentially wild, but descended from domestic cats. The cats could simply be a stray, which are not wild and less likely to bite you. If you live near a zoo see if they sell Zoo Poop, or the leavings of large predators which can deter some animals. Garden or farming suppliers should have a similar product.

I have a question, do you have a recommendation on some tips for people with elderly cats? I think my current fuzzball is approaching 16 years of age and I want to make sure he's doing alright. Sadly, he does not appear to be a breed that is known for a long life.

Also, do you have any tips on rescue cats? He seems to be very convinced that he cannot eat in certain parts of my apartment for fear of other people or cardboard boxes.

One thing I've seen is to watch for mobility impairments. Older cats may struggle to get up on favorite spots. A relative of mine had a ramp she built for her older cat to get up on the couch, since the poor kitty couldn't jump up anymore.

As far as fear - limited exposure therapy is probably the best. Figure out at what distance he will eat and put the food there. Slowly move the food towards the "scary" spot to get the cat used to it.

Prince Zahn
2017-04-08, 08:58 AM
When no one's at home/around, my cat has a habit of dragging my blanket and/or used clothes into the living room. this is a very unpleasant habit. why does he do that, and what can I do about it (if there's anything at all)?

Gravitron5000
2017-04-10, 08:51 AM
When no one's at home/around, my cat has a habit of dragging my blanket and/or used clothes into the living room. this is a very unpleasant habit. why does he do that, and what can I do about it (if there's anything at all)?

Things that smell like you are comforting to your cat. Your cat is lonely for your company. I'm not sure what you can do about it. I'm not a cat.

WarKitty
2017-04-10, 09:16 PM

The easiest solution is to get a hamper with a lid on it, honestly. And possibly give the cat something that smells like you that he can drag around.

Velaryon
2017-04-11, 11:27 AM
How can I persuade my cats to sharpen their claws on the scratching posts designated for the purpose, and not on the furniture, carpet, etc.?

Peelee
2017-04-11, 11:38 AM
How can I persuade my cats to sharpen their claws on the scratching posts designated for the purpose, and not on the furniture, carpet, etc.?

If you see them scratching something you don't want them to, a sudden loud noise is great. Slapping a leather couch or wall is handy. Cats get startled, which they don't like, and dash off, meaning they don't se that it was you who did that, which helps a huge amount. At the same time, reward them for using the scratching post.

Honest Tiefling
2017-04-11, 01:45 PM
One thing I've seen is to watch for mobility impairments. Older cats may struggle to get up on favorite spots. A relative of mine had a ramp she built for her older cat to get up on the couch, since the poor kitty couldn't jump up anymore.

Hrm, didn't think of that. I think he's fine now, as he gets into the fireplace and on top of the hot water heater just fine and is more then willing to run into neighbor's yards. But are there any signs I should look for, such as a limp or pain when touched on the legs?

As far as fear - limited exposure therapy is probably the best. Figure out at what distance he will eat and put the food there. Slowly move the food towards the "scary" spot to get the cat used to it.

My living arrangement isn't great for this, but I'll give it a whirl. How would I do this for people, since he's terrified of certain people?

WarKitty
2017-04-11, 02:01 PM
My living arrangement isn't great for this, but I'll give it a whirl. How would I do this for people, since he's terrified of certain people?

Easiest thing with people, if they're willing, is to have them set out a treat and then sit down a ways away. They have to sit quietly so the cat learns they're not a threat. Again, you can slowly get the cat closer to the person.

Couple tricks.

One, cats tend to like to scratch in the same spot, so put scratching posts near the spots where they are predisposed to scratch. Two, get some catnip spray or something and spray it on the posts. Three, stick some double-sided tape on the stuff you don't want scratched - cats don't like to get their paws sticky.

Prince Zahn
2017-04-11, 03:53 PM
Do you think Catgirls should have whiskers?

Scarlet Knight
2017-04-12, 08:17 PM
Only when they get old; then they start to look like Albert Einstein.

Velaryon
2017-04-15, 01:14 PM
If you see them scratching something you don't want them to, a sudden loud noise is great. Slapping a leather couch or wall is handy. Cats get startled, which they don't like, and dash off, meaning they don't se that it was you who did that, which helps a huge amount. At the same time, reward them for using the scratching post.

This startles them out of the behavior in the moment, but doesn't seem to prevent them from coming back and doing it again later.

Couple tricks.

One, cats tend to like to scratch in the same spot, so put scratching posts near the spots where they are predisposed to scratch. Two, get some catnip spray or something and spray it on the posts. Three, stick some double-sided tape on the stuff you don't want scratched - cats don't like to get their paws sticky.

I've tried catnip spray, and it gets them interested in the posts for awhile, but it doesn't seem to be an exclusive interest (meaning they will scratch the posts and the furniture I want them to avoid). Similarly, I've tried sprays to get them to avoid certain areas. They work in the short term, but have to be constantly re-applied which isn't feasible for me economically or time-wise.

I haven't tried moving the posts or double-sided tape though. Might be a little weird on a chair armrest, but I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Beleriphon
2017-04-15, 02:39 PM
I've tried catnip spray, and it gets them interested in the posts for awhile, but it doesn't seem to be an exclusive interest (meaning they will scratch the posts and the furniture I want them to avoid). Similarly, I've tried sprays to get them to avoid certain areas. They work in the short term, but have to be constantly re-applied which isn't feasible for me economically or time-wise.

I haven't tried moving the posts or double-sided tape though. Might be a little weird on a chair armrest, but I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

I can be boredom as well. Sometimes a more structured play schedule can help a lot with that kind of behaviour. Especially if it focuses attention on the things you want them to scratch.

Peelee
2017-04-15, 03:13 PM
This startles them out of the behavior in the moment, but doesn't seem to prevent them from coming back and doing it again later.

It does if you do it consistently, especially while simultaneously rewarding good behavior like scratching the actual scratching post. My couches have been claw-free for some time now.

Velaryon
2017-04-15, 05:34 PM
It does if you do it consistently, especially while simultaneously rewarding good behavior like scratching the actual scratching post. My couches have been claw-free for some time now.

We've been doing the same for years, with no discernable results. They've torn up a couple chairs, a couple sections of carpet, and the curtains we used to have. We always make a sudden loud noise when we catch them at it, but we can't always catch them at it, like if we're not home or asleep. Either I'm not doing it right, or it doesn't work on all cats.

WarKitty
2017-04-15, 05:42 PM
We've been doing the same for years, with no discernable results. They've torn up a couple chairs, a couple sections of carpet, and the curtains we used to have. We always make a sudden loud noise when we catch them at it, but we can't always catch them at it, like if we're not home or asleep. Either I'm not doing it right, or it doesn't work on all cats.

I've definitely had the same thing happen - the cats figure out it only happens when you're around and start just not doing it in front of you.

Play therapy combined with some double-stick tape should work. Foil is also good on flat areas. And again, put scratching posts near where they want to scratch - cats instinctively mark their territory with scratching, so providing acceptable targets to mark is good.

Also, try to provide a variety of scratching surfaces, at least until you figure out what they like. My cat doesn't like the rope-covered or carpet scratching posts, but she does go after the corrugated cardboard ones.

Thurbane
2017-04-19, 12:52 AM
Is there any way to teach a cat to bury his crap? My guy is almost 3 years old, and he barely makes an effort to cover it up in his litter box...

Is he too old and set in his ways to learn?

Beleriphon
2017-04-20, 08:32 AM
Is there any way to teach a cat to bury his crap? My guy is almost 3 years old, and he barely makes an effort to cover it up in his litter box...

Is he too old and set in his ways to learn?

It can be a dominance issue in this case, so he may be attempting to show dominance over you. Or it could be there isn't enough litter in the box to make him happy, or he doesn't like the kind of litter you're using.

Thurbane
2017-04-20, 07:30 PM
It can be a dominance issue in this case, so he may be attempting to show dominance over you. Or it could be there isn't enough litter in the box to make him happy, or he doesn't like the kind of litter you're using.

Well, we use crystal-based litter, which is the type we've always used. I try to make sure there's always enough.

I spoke to a friend who's a vet, and he said if you have two different literboxes in the house, it might help. We tried that, but it made no difference.

I suspect he's just being lazy because he knows I will come along and bury it for him to get rid of the stink.

Beleriphon
2017-04-21, 08:39 AM
Well, we use crystal-based litter, which is the type we've always used. I try to make sure there's always enough.

I spoke to a friend who's a vet, and he said if you have two different literboxes in the house, it might help. We tried that, but it made no difference.

I suspect he's just being lazy because he knows I will come along and bury it for him to get rid of the stink.

Probably a dominance thing then. He's the boss, so he craps on top and everybody else has to bury it for him.

Peelee
2017-04-21, 11:10 AM
Probably a dominance thing then. He's the boss, so he craps on top and everybody else has to bury it for him.

Eh, that's a theory and a lot of people disagree with it. Are the litter boxes big enough?

Thurbane
2017-05-27, 09:33 PM
So, Fritz (my cat) had occasionally started to poop outside of his litter box, which he'd never done before.

We now have two litter boxes (one quite large, one smaller) and put one in the corner of the laundry where he had pooped.

I think it was maybe a privacy thing, because he now likes to poop in the one in the corner where there's no chance of us seeing him.

He's also doing (slightly) better at burying it.

Here's a pic:

http://i66.tinypic.com/dx24qs.jpg

Funny thing: I was always a "dog person" before I got him (I always liked cats, but much preferred dogs), but now it's a lot harder to choose.

Peelee
2017-05-27, 09:49 PM
So, Fritz (my cat) had occasionally started to poop outside of his litter box, which he'd never done before.

Any recent changes, like getting him declawed or using different litter?

Thurbane
2017-05-27, 10:00 PM
Any recent changes, like getting him declawed or using different litter?

Nope. No changes to his routine I can think of.

Only thing is my wife has relatively recently started working (afternoon shift), so he has been alone during the day a bit more...but the pooping outside of the box started a couple of months after that began.

Peelee
2017-05-27, 10:01 PM
Nope. No changes to his routine I can think of.

Only thing is my wife has relatively recently started working (afternoon shift), so he has been alone during the day a bit more...but the pooping outside of the box started a couple of months after that began.

Welp, I got nothin'.

Grand Arbiter
2017-05-27, 10:07 PM
*delves into memories that may be pertienent*

*Edits in idea:*

I believe I recall that if a cat poops outside of the box it is due to a bad association with said box. For example, on an episode of My Cat From Hell*, this one cat was going outside the box when it hurt to poop (due to having eaten yarn/string that went through his system).

Not to seem rude/crude, but does there seem to be anything different about the poo outside of the box?
going to bed soon, will respond/check thread in morning.

*Fantastic show, that can sometimes provide useful information.

Thurbane
2017-05-28, 04:26 AM
No, no differences in his poop either.

He seems happy enough now there's two boxes, one in the old spot, and one in the corner where he'd done it on the floor.

Grand Arbiter
2017-05-29, 08:22 PM
May just have been need of another box then. \_(")_/

Anybody else's cat seem to chase pixies/faeries/stuff-that-you-can't-see?

WarKitty
2017-05-29, 09:38 PM
May just have been need of another box then. \_(")_/

Anybody else's cat seem to chase pixies/faeries/stuff-that-you-can't-see?

We had one time where my old roommate's cat started chasing our shadows.

Scarlet Knight
2017-05-29, 10:11 PM
I thought that, then I realized he was chasing reflections off my watch.

Rothis Sil
2017-05-30, 07:28 AM
Do cats like chocolate milk?

WarKitty
2017-05-30, 08:22 AM
Do cats like chocolate milk?

BAD IDEA!!!

Chocolate is seriously poisonous to cats. They can die from it.

Honest Tiefling
2017-06-03, 03:21 PM
I think it was maybe a privacy thing, because he now likes to poop in the one in the corner where there's no chance of us seeing him.

Pooping for cats is a dominance thing. He might not want to challenge you for dominance. (I know this because I had to move my cat's liter box because he doesn't want to challenge my husband.)

As for the arthritis in an older cat, I've noticed that he is a little less agile then he was when he was younger, but he's still hunting rats so I have no idea there.

Cazero
2017-06-05, 02:27 AM
When my cat yawn, she raises the tip of her tongue in a way that reminds me of the polite human habit of putting your hand in front of your mouth when you yawn. Is there an actual correlation?

TheGrimPeddler
2017-06-07, 01:55 AM
I've never played the lotto before. I decided to spend a buck on it on a whim for a chance at 137M. Should I feel bad for spending literal pocket change when I'm technically supposed to be saving because my fiancee and I are broke with no current income? Is it that I'm desperate for money at this point is the reason I had that nagging sensation while I was in the store to go do it, even though it was the same kind of sensation I get when my luck is going to turn around when I'm playing a TCG and it proceeds to give me the exact cards I need, thus I win?

Always told myself I'd never lotto or scratcher. I'm feeling conflicted. :smallsigh:

Peelee
2017-06-07, 07:29 AM
I've never played the lotto before. I decided to spend a buck on it on a whim for a chance at 137M. Should I feel bad for spending literal pocket change when I'm technically supposed to be saving because my fiancee and I are broke with no current income? Is it that I'm desperate for money at this point is the reason I had that nagging sensation while I was in the store to go do it, even though it was the same kind of sensation I get when my luck is going to turn around when I'm playing a TCG and it proceeds to give me the exact cards I need, thus I win?

Always told myself I'd never lotto or scratcher. I'm feeling conflicted. :smallsigh:

Think about the lottery as an entertaunment expense. You're not spending a dollar to win and be rich, you're spending a dollar to imagine yourself winning and being rich. If you get at least a dollar's worth of enjoyment out of that, then it's worthwhile.

So long as you have the dollar to spare. Both questions only you can answer.

TheGrimPeddler
2017-06-08, 12:44 AM
Think about the lottery as an entertaunment expense. You're not spending a dollar to win and be rich, you're spending a dollar to imagine yourself winning and being rich. If you get at least a dollar's worth of enjoyment out of that, then it's worthwhile.

So long as you have the dollar to spare. Both questions only you can answer.

Good idea. And yes I had the dollar to blow. Better chance at a good ROI than buying a value menu burger, lol.

Baby Gary
2017-06-08, 10:46 AM
what type of cat should my next cat be?

Shamash
2017-06-08, 10:55 AM

A grey American Shorthair.

Peelee
2017-06-08, 12:38 PM

Norwegian Forest.

WarKitty
2017-06-08, 12:41 PM

Personally, I'm a fan of going to a no-kill shelter and asking who's been there a while. Or asking if there are cats at a foster home that don't show well.

My kitty is an absolute love-bug once she gets to know you, but she's very shy so she doesn't show well.

Baby Gary
2017-06-08, 12:58 PM
@WarKitty, seeing as you are a war kitty how many kitties do you command? Also what is your rank in the cat army?:tongue:

WarKitty
2017-06-08, 01:21 PM
@WarKitty, seeing as you are a war kitty how many kitties do you command? Also what is your rank in the cat army?:tongue:

My rank is HellCat. The rest is classified. :smallwink:

Baby Gary
2017-06-08, 01:37 PM
can you write a de-classified memo about it? (U.S. political joke about stuff that happened today) also I am friends of the the emperor cat (his name has 'Augustus in it') so I have the right to know! Emperor Calvin will be displeased with you if you don't (the cat's first name is Calvin)

Peelee
2017-06-08, 04:30 PM
Personally, I'm a fan of going to a no-kill shelter and asking who's been there a while. Or asking if there are cats at a foster home that don't show well.

My kitty is an absolute love-bug once she gets to know you, but she's very shy so she doesn't show well.

This is very admirable, but is also something I would have difficulty doing; cats don't have terribly long lives, and I bond so strongly that I want to maximize the time I have with them. It is a somewhat selfish desire, I recognize, but I have no regrets about getting my two guys as soon as they could be given away.

WarKitty
2017-06-08, 04:40 PM
This is very admirable, but is also something I would have difficulty doing; cats don't have terribly long lives, and I bond so strongly that I want to maximize the time I have with them. It is a somewhat selfish desire, I recognize, but I have no regrets about getting my two guys as soon as they could be given away.

Fair enough. I personally like adopting young adults because you have a bit more idea of the personality you're getting.

Peelee
2017-06-08, 06:40 PM
Fair enough. I personally like adopting young adults because you have a bit more idea of the personality you're getting.

Totally understandable. A big reason we got Titania was my wife wanted a snuggly cat, and while Erebus was quite snuggly at first, he evolved into wanting to be near us, but not touching us. And if we get too close, he'll move away. Titania turned into exactly what she wanted, though, so everything turned out perfect.

Especially because for all his lack of snuggles, Erebus may be the loyalest cat I've ever had. Always guards the door when I'm in the bathroom or sleeping (unless he decides to get on the mattress at the foot), always abandons whatever he's doing and runs down to the basement when he hears the garage door open to greet me, often moves rooms when i do just to stay near me, even wakes me in the gentlest, quietist way for their breakfast, and comforts and snuggles my wife if she's ever sad and crying. I love that little dude.

WarKitty
2017-06-08, 07:17 PM
Totally understandable. A big reason we got Titania was my wife wanted a snuggly cat, and while Erebus was quite snuggly at first, he evolved into wanting to be near us, but not touching us. And if we get too close, he'll move away. Titania turned into exactly what she wanted, though, so everything turned out perfect.

Especially because for all his lack of snuggles, Erebus may be the loyalest cat I've ever had. Always guards the door when I'm in the bathroom or sleeping (unless he decides to get on the mattress at the foot), always abandons whatever he's doing and runs down to the basement when he hears the garage door open to greet me, often moves rooms when i do just to stay near me, even wakes me in the gentlest, quietist way for their breakfast, and comforts and snuggles my wife if she's ever sad and crying. I love that little dude.

That's the advantage of going to a place that uses fosters too. A lot of fosters can tell you what the cat is really like in a home.

Baby Gary
2017-06-08, 07:26 PM
That's the advantage of going to a place that uses fosters too. A lot of fosters can tell you what the cat is really like in a home.

I, well my family, well mainly my mom and sister, are fostering some kittens for the local shelter until they are 2 lbs, so we have kittens through out kitten season. Also it taught me a lot about letting something go, I had these 5 kittens for about 2 weeks and I had to let them go, it was no easy thing. however it is really fun, and the bast part is that the shelter pays for veterinary expenses.

The Cats
2017-06-13, 09:56 PM
My rank is HellCat. The rest is classified. :smallwink:

Hrm, we don't remember recruiting you.

Though High General Rawr (the white one) does have a habit of imbuing kitties with great power without first running it past King Fasa (the unimpressed red one).

Or perhaps you're one of the agents of Spymaster Miaow's (the striped one)? Oh no that's silly. Everyone knows the KSC (Kitty Spy Corp) is an urban legend and doesn't really exist.

... you're not just a rogue duplicate of Nick'n'Dime (the grey one) are you?

WarKitty
2017-06-13, 11:45 PM
Hrm, we don't remember recruiting you.

Though High General Rawr (the white one) does have a habit of imbuing kitties with great power without first running it past King Fasa (the unimpressed red one).

Or perhaps you're one of the agents of Spymaster Miaow's (the striped one)? Oh no that's silly. Everyone knows the KSC (Kitty Spy Corp) is an urban legend and doesn't really exist.

... you're not just a rogue duplicate of Nick'n'Dime (the grey one) are you?

Ummm....oh hey, yarn!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9f/Yarn_ball.jpg

The Cats
2017-06-13, 11:51 PM
Holy crap you guys it's yarn!

Baby Gary
2017-06-14, 12:06 AM
I'm putting 10 balls of yarn on @WarKitty. She, being a war kitty, know strategy and many ways to beat cats in battle, some ways include: catnip, yarn, laser pointers, paper bags, human feet, the list goes on. GL @WarKitty

The Cats
2017-06-14, 12:11 AM
Oh wadda you know Gary you're just a baby.

WarKitty
2017-06-14, 12:17 AM
WarKitty realizes she really should set her gender in her profile one of these days.

Niiohontesha
2017-06-14, 01:15 AM
Miou miouuww meoww mroww

Niiohontesha
2017-06-14, 01:16 AM
Every time I host a D&D session one of my guy friends brings milk and praises my cat. "Milk for the cat god!"
He says it brings him good luck in the game.

Baby Gary
2017-06-14, 11:29 AM
WarKitty realizes she really should set her gender in her profile one of these days.
Because I didn't see any gender I meant to say "(S)He", but I forgot, however I changed it. Sorry!:smalleek:

Baby Gary
2017-06-14, 11:31 AM
Oh wadda you know Gary you're just a baby.

two things. 1) that was not that nice, 2) can I sig that?, 3) I know more than a cat!! (but not a kitten, kittens are the supreme leaders of the multiverse)

P.S. its actually three things!

WarKitty
2017-06-14, 04:11 PM
PSA of the day: don't feed your kitties store-bought tuna! The mercury levels allowed for human consumption often aren't safe for kitties.

The Cats
2017-06-14, 04:38 PM
two things. 1) that was not that nice, 2) can I sig that?, 3) I know more than a cat!! (but not a kitten, kittens are the supreme leaders of the multiverse)

P.S. its actually three things!

1. Cats are not required to be nice. 2. Yes. 3. I am not a cat. I am The Cats.

Akisa
2017-06-14, 11:05 PM
Are you bred for War, or did you choose the warrior profession to be labeled as "War Kitty"

Caribou3
2017-06-16, 11:31 PM
Why are some cats the most lovable, adorable and cuddly things whilst others are evil and aloof?

Peelee
2017-06-17, 12:23 AM
Why are some cats the most lovable, adorable and cuddly things whilst others are evil and aloof?

Same as people. Different personalities.

Honest Tiefling
2017-06-18, 04:23 PM
PSA of the day: don't feed your kitties store-bought tuna! The mercury levels allowed for human consumption often aren't safe for kitties.

Oh crap. Do you have a link to a study? Or a suggestion on better tuna to feed my cat? (He really likes the tuna water).

Baby Gary
2017-06-18, 04:51 PM

what about cats? I was just wondering because you said 'kitties'

2D8HP
2017-06-19, 09:47 AM
WarKitty,

I went delving into threads from before my time at the Forum and I think that your Sig:

"Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!"

came from a completely awesome de-railment of a thread of yore:

CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93068)

Maybe put a link in your sig, so other newcomers may find it?

Any other "threads of yore" that you recommend?

WarKitty
2017-06-19, 09:54 AM
WarKitty,

I went delving into threads from before my time at the Forum and I think that your Sig:

"Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!"

came from a completely awesome de-railment of a thread of yore:

CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93068)

Maybe put a link in your sig, so other newcomers may find it?

Any other "threads of yore" that you recommend?

Look up Lanky Bugger's threads. Seriously.

2D8HP
2017-06-19, 10:55 AM
Look up Lanky Bugger's threads. Seriously.

I think I just dealt with the worst gaming session (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?23784-I-think-I-just-dealt-with-the-worst-gaming-session&highlight=think+just+dealt+with+the+worst+gaming+s ession)

New Worst Session: How Lanky got hisself stabbed! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?95189-New-Worst-Session-How-Lanky-got-hisself-stabbed!)

:eek:

My tales of woe pale in comparison.

WarKitty
2017-06-19, 04:31 PM
Oh crap. Do you have a link to a study? Or a suggestion on better tuna to feed my cat? (He really likes the tuna water).

Occasional tuna is ok, just not very often. May I recommend trying clam juice? You can generally find it in bottles in the supermarket. Get low-sodium if you can.