PDA

View Full Version : Channelling Spells on a Melee Attack

ATHATH
2017-03-05, 01:01 PM
Is there some ability that will let me attach touch spells as riders to melee (or ranged) attacks that will work with the Nosomatic Chirurgeon's spontaneous inflict spells? I'd like to know for a Warlock build that I'm making.

ATHATH
2017-03-05, 01:02 PM
The Arcane Archer's Imbue Arrow ability might work with the Mass Inflict X Wounds spells, but it looks suboptimal.

flappeercraft
2017-03-05, 01:05 PM
A duskblade could work

Matrota
2017-03-05, 01:36 PM
Duskblades can cast any touch attack duskblade spells into their weapons. However, I believe the spellsword prestige class in complete warrior can channel any known spells into their weapon. Note that, as far as my memory goes, spellswords choose what weapon their spells can be channeled through when they take the class, sUchiha s a spellaxe, spell(long)sword, spellspear, etc.

Troacctid
2017-03-05, 02:06 PM
Havoc Mage, kinda.

The easiest way would be to just buy a Spell-Storing Weapon.

Naez
2017-03-05, 02:27 PM
You can punch people with spells so long as you have improved unarmed strike. the rule is in complete arcane.
"You can add the damage of your unarmed strike to the damage of a touch spell by delivering the spell as a regular melee attack instead of a melee touch attack."

Dagroth
2017-03-05, 04:14 PM
You can punch people with spells so long as you have improved unarmed strike. the rule is in complete arcane.
"You can add the damage of your unarmed strike to the damage of a touch spell by delivering the spell as a regular melee attack instead of a melee touch attack."

One could easily assume that to be true of Natural Weapons (for a Dragon who casts spells, for example) as well.

Ooo... A Dragon with Duskblade levels.

ATHATH
2017-03-05, 06:00 PM
See, the problem with most of these is that they require spell slots or for you to "know" a spell. The ability that I'm looking at works kind of like a Cleric's ability to spontaneously cast cure spells:

"Pestilential Touch (Su): A chirurgeon develops the supernatural ability to channel spell energy into debilitating harm. This ability allows you to spontaneously "lose" a single usage of any spell or spell-like ability to cast any inflict spell of the same spell level or lower. (An inflict spell is any spell with "inflict" in its name, such as inflict light wounds).

Unlike with a normal casting of an inflict spell, the damage dealt by this ability is not negative energy, and so cannot be used to heal undead."

Another complication is that these spontaneous spells are neither arcane nor divine...

ATHATH
2017-03-05, 06:02 PM
Do you have to cast the spell and hold the charge first?

ATHATH
2017-03-05, 06:03 PM
The Enlightened Fist's Arcane Fist ability seems to work, although I'd need a LOT of stunning attempts...

Naez
2017-03-05, 06:23 PM
Do you have to cast the spell and hold the charge first?

That's actually kind of ambiguous and is not clarified in the text so run it by your DM. I personally would say no, it's part of the same action.

Gruftzwerg
2017-03-05, 06:24 PM
The Enlightened Fist's Arcane Fist ability seems to work, although I'd need a LOT of stunning attempts...

1 (or 2 if you want evasion) lvl dip into monk to get the feats for enlightened fist + monk's belt gives you already 6(7) stunning fist attempts. And Enlightened Fist stacks with monk lvls for stunning fist attempts (1/lvl/day).

ATHATH
2017-03-05, 06:55 PM
1 (or 2 if you want evasion) lvl dip into monk to get the feats for enlightened fist + monk's belt gives you already 6(7) stunning fist attempts. And Enlightened Fist stacks with monk lvls for stunning fist attempts (1/lvl/day).
Yeah, but if I'm gonna be full-attacking, won't that burn through those attempts quickly?

Gruftzwerg
2017-03-06, 02:20 AM
Yeah, but if I'm gonna be full-attacking, won't that burn through those attempts quickly?

This ability allows you to spontaneously "lose" a single usage of any spell or spell-like ability to cast any inflict spell of the same spell level or lower. (An inflict spell is any spell with "inflict" in its name, such as inflict light wounds).

I guess you aren't going to use it more than once per round. And quicken won't help either I guess, since you are casting it spontaneously and not prepared..
Unless your build involves some kind of overcoming this limitation, you don't need to bother that much about it I guess.

if you really wanna wield magic in your hands, really.. go for a decent clawlock build. look up the other threads on the main page (a clawlock thread and I also posted almost the same in the Half-dragon monk thread..^^).

ShurikVch
2017-03-06, 09:42 AM
How about the Daggerspell Mage with Double Daggercast and Arcane Throw?

ATHATH
2017-03-06, 09:52 AM
How about the Daggerspell Mage with Double Daggercast and Arcane Throw?
This seems like my best bet so far; thanks. Alas, I think I'm gonna have to use Hideous Blow (*hurk*) with this instead of Eldritch Glaive or Eldritch Claws, unless I want to leave a hand free/daggerless for them.

I guess you aren't going to use it more than once per round. And quicken won't help either I guess, since you are casting it spontaneously and not prepared..
Unless your build involves some kind of overcoming this limitation, you don't need to bother that much about it I guess.

if you really wanna wield magic in your hands, really.. go for a decent clawlock build. look up the other threads on the main page (a clawlock thread and I also posted almost the same in the Half-dragon monk thread..^^).
I'm INTENDING for this to be a Clawlock or Glaivelock build. I just figured that lacing my attacks with Maximized Inflict spells would help boost my damage (yes, there are probably other more effective ways, but I like being able to effortlessly cast Maximized Mass Inflict X spells (not laced onto an attack, of course) at whatever groups of peasants displease me all day, everyday).

Troacctid
2017-03-06, 03:42 PM
I mean Hideous Blow is honestly fine if you're investing in Strength as a primary stat and using a two-handed weapon. It adds a lot of damage to your blast, bypasses spell resistance, works with Power Attack, and lets you gain the benefits of a magic weapon (such as perhaps...a spell-storing weapon!), as well as other various weapon stuff. And unlike Eldritch Claws, you can use essences with it.

The main reason why it's usually bad is because most Warlocks dump Strength.

Khedrac
2017-03-06, 04:15 PM
I mean Hideous Blow is honestly fine if you're investing in Strength as a primary stat and using a two-handed weapon. It adds a lot of damage to your blast, bypasses spell resistance, works with Power Attack, and lets you gain the benefits of a magic weapon (such as perhaps...a spell-storing weapon!), as well as other various weapon stuff. And unlike Eldritch Claws, you can use essences with it.

The main reason why it's usually bad is because most Warlocks dump Strength.

That and because it provokes AoOs...

Troacctid
2017-03-06, 05:13 PM
That and because it provokes AoOs...
It's only a DC 16 Concentration check to avoid opportunity attacks. And if you use a reach weapon, you probably won't even need the check most of the time.

Gruftzwerg
2017-03-06, 10:33 PM
the biggest issue while using Hideous Blow is the standard action that it costs. Only 1 attack/round even at lvl 20+ (besides from the AoO you can get via epic feat).
That's why imho it's niche is charging and maybe lowlvl fights.

btw Troacctid, interesting idea to bypass SR, but I guess it works. hm..

edit: I once had the idea of a whip user with Hideous Blow. The image in my head is hilarious imo but I failed to make full build around it at that time.

Troacctid
2017-03-06, 11:25 PM
The epic feat lets you do it twice, actually.

The 1/round limit is a problem with the regular Eldritch Blast too anyway, so meh.

I like it with a sugliin, since you can only use it once per round anyway. Ritiik works well too, with the trip effect.