PDA

View Full Version : Wildshape question

dnd2016
2017-03-05, 02:12 PM
If the druid takes damage while in wildshape, is there a con. ability check or saving throw to see if he reverts back to human?

PhoenixPhyre
2017-03-05, 02:20 PM
If the druid takes damage while in wildshape, is there a con. ability check or saving throw to see if he reverts back to human?

No. The only ways noted to revert a druid is to reduce the wild shape to 0 HP (in which case any damage on the attack that does so in excess of the shapes' HP carries over to the humanoid form) or to allow time to pass (a druid can stay in wildshape a number of hours equal to half their druid level).

dnd2016
2017-03-05, 04:45 PM
Ok, what if he casted a concetration spell before shape change, and then takes damage while in form?

PhantomSoul
2017-03-05, 04:51 PM
Then they'd do a concentration check for maintaining the spell, but would remain wildshaped regardless (unless they lose too much HP and independently revert to their non-shifted form).

dnd2016
2017-03-05, 04:56 PM
gotcha thx

Dalebert
2017-03-06, 08:23 PM
You can also knock them unconscious. That reverts them. So a sleep spell might do it if it exceeds their current hp and they're not immune from being an elf or something.

MrMcBobb
2017-03-07, 09:39 AM
You can also knock them unconscious. That reverts them. So a sleep spell might do it if it exceeds their current hp and they're not immune from being an elf or something.

I've not got a PHB to hand so I'm going to ask what may be a stupid question.

Does a Wildshaped druid still get the Fey Ancestry perks like immune to sleep while in their animal form?

I thought they got all the physical attributes of the animal they were changing into?

hymer
2017-03-07, 09:47 AM
I've not got a PHB to hand so I'm going to ask what may be a stupid question.

Does a Wildshaped druid still get the Fey Ancestry perks like immune to sleep while in their animal form?

I thought they got all the physical attributes of the animal they were changing into?

They retain abilities that the wild shape is physically capable of. Whether that applies to immunity to sleep is up to the DM.

You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so.

Dalebert
2017-03-08, 12:18 PM
They retain abilities that the wild shape is physically capable of. Whether that applies to immunity to sleep is up to the DM.

"You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so."

There's nothing physically needed to get the benefits of fey ancestry. It's just immunity to sleep and adv vs. charm.

It appears to be intended to apply fairly broadly. For instance, Crawford said a Dragonborn would still have its breath weapon if the creature he turned into has lungs and breathes.

hymer
2017-03-08, 12:35 PM
"You retain the benefit of any features from your class, race, or other source and can use them if the new form is physically capable of doing so."

There's nothing physically needed to get the benefits of fey ancestry. It's just immunity to sleep and adv vs. charm.

It appears to be intended to apply fairly broadly. For instance, Crawford said a Dragonborn would still have its breath weapon if the creature he turned into has lungs and breathes.

Actually, I think Crawford was denser than that and specified that if the shape has a mouth, you can use breath weapon. So an ittybitty scorpion smaller than my hand can breathe a 15' cone or 30' x 5' line of X? Well, so Crawford says. And so I don't think you should expect every DM to follow his suggestion on that.
I agree that fey ancestry should work in wild shape, but I wouldn't expect every DM to rule it so. Why doesn't every shape with eyes get darkvision from the race, e.g.? That one is specifically forbidden.

Fishyninja
2017-03-08, 01:42 PM
It's a very good ability (Wild Shape) because based on that ruling I have now had it confirmed that if I was a Barbarian/Druid, I could rage then cast wildshape (would need to be a moon druid) and have a raging bear!

hymer
2017-03-08, 02:20 PM
It's a very good ability (Wild Shape) because based on that ruling I have now had it confirmed that if I was a Barbarian/Druid, I could rage then cast wildshape (would need to be a moon druid) and have a raging bear!

I (and I suspect most DMs who allow multiclassing) would let you both start and maintain rage in bear shape.
As an aside on the specific thing you mention: Moon druids shift with a bonus action, and IIRC rage is also a bonus action to activate, so there may be some conflict there if the DM won't let you activate one of them with a regular action.

Fishyninja
2017-03-08, 02:45 PM
I (and I suspect most DMs who allow multiclassing) would let you both start and maintain rage in bear shape.
As an aside on the specific thing you mention: Moon druids shift with a bonus action, and IIRC rage is also a bonus action to activate, so there may be some conflict there if the DM won't let you activate one of them with a regular action.

PG. 69 of the PHB says:

When you choose this circle at 2nd level, you gain the
ability to use Wild Shape on your turn as a bonus action,
rather than as an action.
Additionally, while you are transformed by Wild Shape, you can use a bonus action to expend one
spell slot to regain 1d8 hit points per level of the spell slot expended.
That says to me you can still use Wild Shape as an Action, if you so wish.
Am I correct?

Lord Il Palazzo
2017-03-08, 02:51 PM
As an aside on the specific thing you mention: Moon druids shift with a bonus action, and IIRC rage is also a bonus action to activate, so there may be some conflict there if the DM won't let you activate one of them with a regular action.The ability Mood Druids get, Combat Wild Shape, says "you gain the ability to use Wild Shape on your turn as a bonus action, rather than as an action". I don't read this as saying that you lose the ability to do it as an action, just that you can also Wild Shape as a bonus action.

The more relevant bit (which has been discussed briefly up in the Simple RAW thread) is the requirement that you either attack something or take damage to maintain your rage. If you've used your action to Wild Shape and your bonus action to Rage, you're relying on your enemies to either damage you or provoke an opportunity attack to keep your rage going. It's safer to either Rage or Wild Shape, then do the other on the next turn so you can keep attacking to keep up the Rage.

Edit: You beat me to it Fishyninja.

Maxilian
2017-03-08, 02:55 PM
You can do both things in the same turn (Rage and Wild shape), but have in mind that Rage is lost if you don't do any of this things:

A) Don't attack someone in that round
B) Don't take damage in that round

Fishyninja
2017-03-08, 03:00 PM
Edit: You beat me to it Fishyninja.
I may have beaten you do it, however I missed the part about taking/dishing out damage to continue a rage.

You can do both things in the same turn (Rage and Wild shape), but have in mind that Rage is lost if you don't do any of this things:

A) Don't attack someone in that round
B) Don't take damage in that round
Yeah I missed that one.
Going to have to reread the barbarian druid MC.
Quick opinion.
Starting a campaign at level 6 and want to MC Barbarian and Druid what level combo should I look at:

B5/D1
B4/D2
B3/D3

I'm leaning more between B5/D1 or B4/D2.

Maxilian
2017-03-08, 03:07 PM
I may have beaten you do it, however I missed the part about taking/dishing out damage to continue a rage.

Yeah I missed that one.
Quick opinion.
Starting a campaign at level 6 and want to MC Barbarian and Druid what level combo should I look at:

B5/D1
B4/D2
B3/D3

I'm leaning more between B5/D1 or B4/D2.

Have in mind that you don't HAVE to ditch damage, you just need to attack an enemy (So you can use your attack and miss and you won't lose it, you could use your attack action, to do a grapple / push away / push them prone instead of damage)

Lord Il Palazzo
2017-03-08, 03:26 PM

Yeah I missed that one.
Quick opinion.

B5/D1
B4/D2
B3/D3

I'm leaning more between B5/D1 or B4/D2.It would depend a lot on your style and what you want the character to be about. If you're going Moon Druid, I assume you plan to fight in Wild Shape at least a good amount of the time. This makes reaching Barbarian 5 less important since you won't get as much use out of Extra Attack (a wolf's bite, for example, is listed on its stat block as an action, rather than a thing it can do with an attack action, which is what Extra Attack requires. You'll get the more value out of looking for forms like Brown Bear or Tiger that have ways of making additional attacks in their stat blocks (Multiattack and Pounce, for example)).* As an alternative, tf you're planning to keep Wild Shape as your trump card and to fight in human form as often as possible, Extra Attack has much more value and B5/D1 is more reasonable (though you'd still need to gain another level to gain the option of Wild Shaping, which kind of hurts.)

All that said, I'd go B4/D2 or B3/D3, partly depending on what else is in the party. B4D2 is great for getting you an ability score increase or a feat without losing Wild Shape, but if the party is low on casters, I might go B3D3 to at least have more spell slots and second level spells to use in a pinch without losing out on getting the Barbarian path feature.

*Talk to your DM about this. I've seen Wild Shape and Extra Attack ruled both ways and this is just the read I've seen more often and what makes the most sense to me with how the rules are written. You DM may be more generous with the interaction and let you get in an extra bite or whatever.

Fishyninja
2017-03-08, 03:44 PM
It would depend a lot on your style and what you want the character to be about. If you're going Moon Druid, I assume you plan to fight in Wild Shape at least a good amount of the time. This makes reaching Barbarian 5 less important since you won't get as much use out of Extra Attack (a wolf's bite, for example, is listed on its stat block as an action, rather than a thing it can do with an attack action, which is what Extra Attack requires. You'll get the more value out of looking for forms like Brown Bear or Tiger that have ways of making additional attacks in their stat blocks (Multiattack and Pounce, for example)).* As an alternative, tf you're planning to keep Wild Shape as your trump card and to fight in human form as often as possible, Extra Attack has much more value and B5/D1 is more reasonable (though you'd still need to gain another level to gain the option of Wild Shaping, which kind of hurts.)

All that said, I'd go B4/D2 or B3/D3, partly depending on what else is in the party. B4D2 is great for getting you an ability score increase or a feat without losing Wild Shape, but if the party is low on casters, I might go B3D3 to at least have more spell slots and second level spells to use in a pinch without losing out on getting the Barbarian path feature.

*Talk to your DM about this. I've seen Wild Shape and Extra Attack ruled both ways and this is just the read I've seen more often and what makes the most sense to me with how the rules are written. You DM may be more generous with the interaction and let you get in an extra bite or whatever.
Hmm I think B4/D2 is going to be the best as I am looking solely for the wildshape aspect of the Druid.
I was thinking one offensive like Bear. and then something like a cat for recon in cities etc.
I would parimairly be attacking as my regular character but the Wild Shape is meant to be a bonus and more for RP reasons.

Also having some cantrips and spells isn't so bad.