PDA

View Full Version : Monastic Training / Tashalatora question

schreier
2017-03-05, 03:36 PM
Monastic training says:
Pick one class. Taking levels in this class does not prevent you from taking monk levels. If you take levels in any other class, you lose your ability to progress as a monk as usual.

Tashalatora says:
Your levels in the psionic class you selected for Monastic Traning

Can I pick prestige classes with Monastic Training / Tashalatora? Could be useful if you want to go into Slayer as quickly as possible. A counterpoint is that prestige classes do not prevent you from taking levels in monk ... but it does just say class, not base class.

Dagroth
2017-03-05, 04:05 PM
Monastic training says:
Pick one class. Taking levels in this class does not prevent you from taking monk levels. If you take levels in any other class, you lose your ability to progress as a monk as usual.

Tashalatora says:
Your levels in the psionic class you selected for Monastic Traning

Can I pick prestige classes with Monastic Training / Tashalatora? Could be useful if you want to go into Slayer as quickly as possible. A counterpoint is that prestige classes do not prevent you from taking levels in monk ... but it does just say class, not base class.

Actually, unless the class specifically says it does not prevent you from taking further Monk levels, taking a Prestige Class prevents you from going back.

Yes, you can pick a Psionic prestige class with Monastic Training. The feat does not say "pick one base class", it says "pick one class".

Personally, I hate that Tashalatora requires you to grab Monastic Training first, when the Aesthetic feats just allow multi-classing right out of the box and give you other benefits (level stacking, for the most part) right out of the box.

I personally house-rule Monastic Training away and make Tashalatora require 2nd level Manifesting & Flurry of Blows. Then have Tashalatora make your Monk & Psionic classes stack for Manifestor level (but not PP total) and for either AC bonus or for Unarmed damage progression. I might also allow it to use your Int for your AC bonus instead of Wis if your Psionic Class focuses on Int over Wis.

This makes Tashalatora on par with the other Aesthetic feats.