PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Multiclassing Eldritch Knight/Ranger?

Sans.
2017-03-05, 04:11 PM
Any thoughts?

rooneg
2017-03-05, 04:25 PM
Any thoughts?

Seems fine if you're using a dumb Eldritch Knight, get Shield and Absorb Elements and don't look back kind of thing. You also probably want to pick one of the two classes and stop at level 3 or 4 so you don't pay for a useless Extra Attack on one of them.

poolio
2017-03-05, 04:40 PM
Depends on what you want out of it, Mind telling us more about that?

I'm currently playing a ranged fighter/ranger (battle master/hunter)

And an Eldritch knight in a separate game, and i can't imagine multiclassing the knight, they're so focused with their limited spells that I'm not sure what would mesh well with them, other then wizard for more spells/slots :smalltongue:

Farecry
2017-03-05, 04:45 PM
What are you trying to get out of ranger?

FinnS
2017-03-05, 04:45 PM
Depends.
What source material are you allowed?
Is it strictly AL or are you allowed to use UA material?
You looking to go ranged or melee?

Sans.
2017-03-05, 05:00 PM
No UA. Ranged character.

Farecry
2017-03-05, 05:14 PM
The fighter without any ranger is pretty fantastic at ranged with the classes kit. The extra ASI's get you SS and Xbox master

Citan
2017-03-05, 08:50 PM
Any thoughts?
Well, totally fine whatever way you go at it.
Only thing I would advise is to choose one casting stat and stick with it.

And, since WIS is necessary for multiclass, I would probably pick WIS as casting stat and stick with it because it's just easier to make an efficient build.

With that said, it depends on several things, notably...
- Will you go up to 10th Fighter? Eldricht Strike can be extremely powerful to compensate a lower casting stat.
- Do you want a specialized character or a good all-around? Fighter gets plenty defensive buffs, Ranger plenty utility/control which don't rely on casting stat. So if you want to rely on weapons mainly for offense, you could work well with 14 in both INT and WIS, or even only 14 in WIS and better INT.

In your place, I would probably just decide what my end split is, if I want to use offensive spells or not, then make stats as required.
1. Fighter 12 / Hunter Ranger 8, weapons only: Max DEX and CON, keep low INT/WIS, pick up Shield, Mirror Image, Magic Missile, Absorb Elements, Pass Without Trace, Conjure Animals, etc (you see where this goes).

2. Fighter 12 / Hunter Ranger 8 with offensive spells.
Strangely, I would rather pick 14 in WIS but have at least 16 in INT, to pair with Eldricht Strike, to make the most of Fighter's spell list (no many directly offensive spells in Ranger list).

3. Fighter 12 / Hunter Ranger 8 or Hunter Ranger 16 / Fighter 4 for "magical bowman" build
Definitely pick up DEX and WIS max, dump INT hard.

Specter
2017-03-06, 09:21 AM
Well, if it were to happen it would have to involve 3 or 4 EK levels at most. What you want is the bow teleport anywhere and grabbing some defensive (Shield), offensive (Fire Bolt, Ray of Frost) and utility (Find Familiar/Exp. Retreat/Disguise Self) spells that ranger doesn't have.

You could also take some Wizard levels for the spells, but then you'd miss out on Fighting Style, Second Wind and Action Surge.