PDA

View Full Version : Technical question about Fallout2

2007-07-24, 08:44 PM
If I were to order the old Fallout game, what are the chances my PC could run it with Windows XP?

If none, anyone know where I can get a version of Fallout 2 that would run on it?

Semidi
2007-07-24, 08:53 PM
I run it on XP and I have no complaints.

Tom_Violence
2007-07-24, 08:59 PM
I run it on XP and I have no complaints.

Ditto........................

Beleriphon
2007-07-25, 02:04 AM
Same.

That said, if you have anything that causes automatic pop ups running the in background it can play havock on the graphics or crash the game. Without an autosave feature this is nightmarish if you get deep into the game and it craps out with you having forgot to save for the last six hours. :smallannoyed:

Tekraen
2007-07-25, 08:00 AM
I still have it installed on my system and boot it up from time to time, and I'm running XP. It's a first run copy, so I'd say your odds are better than fair that it'll work. Hell, original Fallout still works too. Makes me happy.

Erloas
2007-07-25, 10:39 AM
I've been playing it too without any problems. Well mostly I've been playing Fallout 1, just haven't gotten a chance to go back to 2 as well, though I did install it and play it a little bit, just not a lot.

Be sure to find the updates for the game though because Fallout 2 needed a lot of patching. You don't just want to find the offical patchs though, there are a few unoffical patchs out there that fix a lot more bugs in the game and don't mod the game any. As opposed to many of the player made patchs that modify how things work, there are some that were simply done to fix problems.

2007-07-25, 05:14 PM
thx u guyz!:smallbiggrin:

Miklus
2007-08-06, 09:07 AM
I just bought Fallout 2 very cheap (one of those best-buy re-releases). But is it a good idea to start playing #2 without plaing #1 first? Does the story make sence? (Plz no spoilers). Can you import your character from #1 into #2 like in BG? I would have bought and played #1 first, but the store did not have it. Should I try to get hold of #1 first, or are the two games largely independent?

While I await your answers, I shall play Medieval: Total war - Viking expansion pack...as the vikings, of couse :smalltongue: (got that cheap too).

Tekraen
2007-08-06, 10:59 AM
I just bought Fallout 2 very cheap (one of those best-buy re-releases). But is it a good idea to start playing #2 without plaing #1 first? Does the story make sence? (Plz no spoilers). Can you import your character from #1 into #2 like in BG? I would have bought and played #1 first, but the store did not have it. Should I try to get hold of #1 first, or are the two games largely independent?

While I await your answers, I shall play Medieval: Total war - Viking expansion pack...as the vikings, of couse :smalltongue: (got that cheap too).

Can't import the character from 1 to 2 as the continuity prevents it. 2 is set about 80 or so years after 1. You can, however, play the second without playing the first with little to no trouble. The story will make more than enough sense to you if you haven't played the first one. I'd still get the first because it's just that cool and you'd be missing out on a good game.

Triaxx
2007-08-06, 11:29 AM
Yeah, XP gives me no problem, though you might want to find a map slower. I upgraded from one computer to a much faster one, and was at my destination before any random encounter triggers could go off.

Driderman
2007-08-07, 07:58 PM
Fallout I & II runs on my computer with no problems whatsoever, even when my antivirus pops up to update. Patches are good, but the only one you really need is the official one and even that one you can do without. I know I did the first many times I played through Fallout II.

And yes, you can play Fallout II without playing Fallout II, although I suggest doing them chronologicallyy if only because Fallout II is slightly better, systemwise

Koji
2007-08-09, 04:40 AM
My ATI catalyst program was messing up my fallout colors, so I ctrl-alt-deleted and ended the process ati2xx or whatever, and then I was able to run it fine.