PDA

View Full Version : Gamer Drama Bad Group

Cronus
2017-03-05, 11:04 PM
Hello guys, just needed to vent a little.

5th edition DnD game.
Setting has dragons as legendary, recently making a reappearance.
Party kills dragon, finds eggs.
I had been somewhat leading the party, basically I was the one asking "How do you guys wnat to proceed?" and I was generally going with group consensus.
Up to this point treasure distribution had been by need - if you can use an item and need one, it goes to you.
I was halfling rogue, other player human fighter, other player human cleric.
Upon killing the dragon, cleric "claims" body as his, to make boots and a cloak out of. I suggested a full suit of leather armor for myself, and was ignored.
We see the eggs.
My character interprets them as millions of gold pieces each, since they're basically Loch Ness Monster eggs, and also makes the point of raising the dragons ourselves, since they're intelligent creatures.
I get up to get a glass of water, session end while I'm afk.

Next week following session recap starts:
Cleric had smashed the eggs "to see whats inside".
I tell them I don't remember that, and my character is really not ok with it.
Cleric says he doesn't care, he only needs 2k in gold for plate mail.
I attempt to explain that they just killed unborn babies in front of me, and that I'm really not ok with it.
Cleric shouts over me.
I stop attempting to explain after 4th or 5th time being shouted over.
Once he's quiet I ask "Can I finish my ******* sentence?"
Fighter responds "What you remember doesn't matter."

So I quit that group and I jsut needed to vent.

Thanks for listening.

ShaneMRoth
2017-03-05, 11:34 PM
Just remember one thing...

http://i.giphy.com/OaGyo3P3ISyeA.gif

MarkVIIIMarc
2017-03-06, 12:56 AM
Tricky one.

If the other party members were more closely to evil aligned or just plum greed motivated it might have been the right thing to do. Was this in line with your previous experiences in the party?

Also if I understand right dragons while intelligent are more guided in alignment by instinct than intellect. Is killing evil red dragons really evil itself?

Thrawn4
2017-03-06, 03:44 AM
Tricky one.

If the other party members were more closely to evil aligned or just plum greed motivated it might have been the right thing to do. Was this in line with your previous experiences in the party?

Also if I understand right dragons while intelligent are more guided in alignment by instinct than intellect. Is killing evil red dragons really evil itself?
The main problem is not the moral question but the OOC player behaviour, which is awful.

Good thing OP quit.

Kane0
2017-03-06, 08:34 PM
Yeah that was a people problem, best find some other people.

Prince Zahn
2017-03-07, 08:07 AM
agreed with everybody else here. you don't stick around with players like that. see if your can find another group in the meantime, if there is no other group, do not forget this, and make sure they don't forget it either. in fact, don't play with them again if they refuse to see what was wrong with that. If you had to go afk, and in your absence they did something like this that you clearly would object to if you were present, you should at least get a say in the matter retroactively. what they did was just disrespectful towards you, game or otherwise.

Anonymouswizard
2017-03-07, 08:13 AM
It sounds like it had just become bad gaming for you, and you made the right decision.

It's interesting that not only did they not include you in the decision, but they were unwilling to compromise or discuss it (and really, the given reason only works for the first egg), not to mention the denying you any part of the dragon courier despite you potentially getting more use from it.

O recommend finding a new group where you're listened to in this stuff. Because I think most players would attempt to ask the eggs o or hatch and raiser the dragons.

Stealth Marmot
2017-03-07, 11:41 AM
If you had to go afk, and in your absence they did something like this that you clearly would object to if you were present, you should at least get a say in the matter retroactively. what they did was just disrespectful towards you, game or otherwise.

And here we have it, the end of the thread in written form.

Delwugor
2017-03-07, 01:00 PM
Sometimes leaving a group is the best answer.

Vizzerdrix
2017-03-07, 01:17 PM
Ya did the right thing.

Ninja-Radish
2017-03-07, 06:08 PM
Those guys sound like a couple of idiots, good thing you got out of there!

Quertus
2017-03-09, 03:21 PM
I've been in several groups with the "he who talks first" / "called it" rule, and at least one group with weapons-grade stupidity, but this sounds bad, even to me.

Closest I've come to this particular situation - that I can remember, at least - was almost the opposite. Try to Redeem the Wicked? Group murders the poor sentient (ok, I can't blame them - I'd have murdered that monster, too, as pretty much any character other than the redeemed evil I was playing). Find mindless engines of murder that have slaughtered countless innocents? I had to firebomb the nest to keep the party from letting them murder the town.

But your problem goes even deeper, into not just stupidity, but greed and communication. That's probably not worth fixing. Find yourself a new group.

Pugwampy
2017-03-10, 03:03 AM
Are these good or evil legendary dragon eggs ?

As for their potential value of being million gold coins . Well I very much doubt any DM will do that . You will be carrying those unsold paper weights forever .

Stealth Marmot
2017-03-10, 07:03 AM

Color coded for your convenience.

Vizzerdrix
2017-03-10, 11:28 AM

As for their potential value of being million gold coins . Well I very much doubt any DM will do that . You will be carrying those unsold paper weights forever .

Or a very good plot hook and hot comodity that any kingdom would want to get their hands on. Ymmv

Quertus
2017-03-10, 12:39 PM
Or a very good plot hook and hot comodity that any kingdom would want to get their hands on. Ymmv

Armies don't win wars - dragons win wars.

Anonymouswizard
2017-03-10, 12:53 PM

The potential is millions, but any save GM will limit that through a number of reasons, from 'nobody knows they're dragon eggs' to 'nobody's got that much money free' to 'nobody's certain pet dragons are that useful'. Most likely they'll go for hundreds to thousands of gold an egg (still a lot in my setting, it'll get you a good townhouse with enough left over for some armour, but not high level PC worthy). The GM has likely factored in how much they'll still got into his planned treasure.