PDA

View Full Version : Art Upgrades, Past, Present and Future (Spoilers?)

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-07-24, 09:37 PM
I was thinking about the art upgrades we've seen so far, and who still needs a little somethin' to update their looks...

Roy: Received new Boots, crown (lost crown)
Elan: Chain Shirt, clasp for cloak, all new clothes, wizard costume
Durkon: Larger Holy Symbol of Thor
Vaarsuvious: Embrodery on hir cape and collar, new belt (green instead of black)

Belkar: Nothing perminant; a pimp hat with a roc feather, and a blue cloak with stilts.
Haley: Nothing perminant; a black gown

and the villians:
Xykon: Nothing I've noticed, but I always wonder that if by the end of the story, will Xykon become a demi-lich? Just a floating skull, with gems for eyes and teeth. And an even worse attitude.

Redcloak: Holy symbol of the Dark One. SoD Spoiler follows:
Technically he upgraded from White Cloak to Red Cloak in one afternoon.

MitD: A "Hello Goblin" pink umbrella.

and not truly a villian:
Miko: Blue to beige...

Any one else? Or any suggestions for Haley and Belkar's costumes?

Derivious
2007-07-24, 09:53 PM
Elan has a slight change you didn't mention. Until somewhere in the 100's it just showed one side of Elan's hair, now it shows a bit of the other side too.

Also when it first showed Xykon, his crown wasn't that well crown shaped.

Shadic
2007-07-24, 10:42 PM
Durkon's belt also changed.

Guild Member #6
2007-07-25, 01:24 AM
:roy: : New Sword with flashy green smoke/flame effect.

:belkar: new blue tattoo! ...well, mark of Justice, whatever... I suppose since it's temporary it can't be called a tattoo. Still, it's there.

:thog: New Leprechaun theme...

Oberon
2007-07-25, 03:03 AM
The art style itself has changed too: we never see these kind of simple two-lines mouthes (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0009.html) anymore (haley in panel 2)

And Xykon's skull is certainly taller and no so wide now as in the early days. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0037.html)

Neat thread though... I'd prefer it with links to each individual upgrade, but that could be personal taste.

banjo1985
2007-07-25, 03:43 AM
Plus :thog: dressed up as a moogle, that split my sides!

Prothero
2007-07-25, 05:14 AM
I think y'all need to differentiate between 'art upgrades' where a permanent (at least until the next upgrade) change to the illustration of the character and/or their equipment is affected but the character and/or equipment themselves haven't actually changed and actual changes to the physical properties of characters or their items. For example, when Roy got new art for his boots, we didn't all assume he got new boots, just that the art had changed. This is an art upgrade. Roy getting Xykon's crown after the lich's (temporary) destruction? Not an art upgrade; Roy simply didn't have the crown until that point. Thog dressed up as Moogle? Not an art upgrade. Etc. Calling new items and such 'art upgrades' is like saying the X's and the bloody wounds on Roy's corpse are equivalent.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-07-25, 06:37 AM
I guess I could have left out the temporary costumes, most were worn only for one strip...

But then again, maybe not. Thog wore the lepracan(sp) costume all the way up to the escape. Maybe that's Thog's new clothes until the end of the strip! :smallbiggrin: The purple "Hulk smash" pants were only temperary

I was just thinking that of the major characters, only Belkar and Haley haven't had an upgrade to their clothes. Belkar will probably want to wear something that helps him hide, getting away from the green and into somethign that lets him hide better in whatever location they end up in next.

But Haley? Come on, she's been wearing that brown leather armor/bikini thing ever since the first strip! No changes whatsoever! And Durkon needs some "street clothes" as well. In fact, ONLY Elan ever took his armor off back at the Weary Travelers Inn and Tavern.

How do you get a massage in armor? In fact, how do you even relax in armor? From my experience, kevlar and ceramic plate isn't very comfortable, at all!

Hushdawg
2007-07-25, 05:15 PM
Plus :thog: dressed up as a moogle, that split my sides!

What's a moogle?

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-07-25, 06:06 PM
What's a moogle?

It's a character from Final Fantasy series, sort of a fat teddybear cat looking thing with bat wings, and a red ball looking thing above it's head.

Here's a link to a page I found of Google:

http://www.ffcompendium.com/h/species/moogle.shtml

Thog appears as a Moogle in this strip:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0388.html

holywhippet
2007-07-25, 06:20 PM
Xykon: Nothing I've noticed, but I always wonder that if by the end of the story, will Xykon become a demi-lich? Just a floating skull, with gems for eyes and teeth. And an even worse attitude.

Unlikely. Demi-liches come about when a lich has gotten bored of the material plane and begins exploring the outer planes. Their lich body begins to decay because the lich's spirit isn't around anymore which generally leaves just the head (but I believe some demi-liches have been nothing more than an arm or a hand).

Xykon is very interested in the world at the moment so I doubt he'll become a demi-lich.