PDA

View Full Version : What is the weakest possible level 20 character?

Rfkannen
2017-03-06, 08:11 AM
So there is a lot of talk on here about makeing strong characters, but not much about weak ones. So i was wondering, what is the weakest level 20 character you can build?

Occasional Sage
2017-03-06, 08:17 AM
Are you looking for just a build stub (race/class/skill mismatches) or a full build with wildly misdone stats and poorly selected spells and all?

Steampunkette
2017-03-06, 08:51 AM
So there is a lot of talk on here about makeing strong characters, but not much about weak ones. So i was wondering, what is the weakest level 20 character you can build?

Divination Wizard who refuses to resort to violence, even when danger is at hand.

Doesn't matter what stats or feats.

jaappleton
2017-03-06, 08:56 AM
Well what's your definition of "weak"? Lowest DPR? Not able to really contribute in battle?

A Knowledge Cleric doesn't get much offensively but is a spectacular Swiss Army knife.

Aett_Thorn
2017-03-06, 08:58 AM
13 in stats across the board to start. Then take 1 level in every class. Then level 2 in everything but Barbarian, Warlock, Sorc, and Fighter.

Rfkannen
2017-03-06, 09:36 AM
Are you looking for just a build stub (race/class/skill mismatches) or a full build with wildly misdone stats and poorly selected spells and all?

Either! second preferred I guess.

Well what's your definition of "weak"? Lowest DPR? Not able to really contribute in battle?

A Knowledge Cleric doesn't get much offensively but is a spectacular Swiss Army knife.

I wouldn't call a knowledge cleric weak but it is still good at something, I mean the character who is the most widely incompetent at everything.

Deadandamnation
2017-03-06, 10:26 AM
Either! second preferred I guess.

I wouldn't call a knowledge cleric weak but it is still good at something, I mean the character who is the most widely incompetent at everything.

I think there isn't a right answer to your question...In the right circumstances anything Can bè broken op or totally waste.

For example in a campaign based around diplomacy a fully armed fighter with 8 into CHA, INT and WIS is a Total waste but if the player play It 'the right way' Can still be super fun.

Citan
2017-03-06, 12:43 PM
Possibly the following:
Paladin Ancients 3
4 Elements Monk 3
Frenzy Barbarian 3
Valor Bard 3
SCAG Fighter 3 (don't remember name)
BeastMaster Ranger 3
Druid 1
Wizard 1

Unless extremely high stat roll, the complete MADness means your only viable choice is normal Human to get >=13 everywhere.
And no chance of getting any stat higher than 14.

Most of your abilities revolve around martial side, but you don't have Extra Attack. Your only relief to gain a bit of power over time is the SCAG weapon cantrips if allowed. Otherwise you are just stuck.
Beyond that, you have spellcaster level = 1+1+1+1+3, which is half decent, considering you also have a wide array of useful spells which don't rely on stats.
However, many things are redundant (proficiencies), useless (Unarmored Defense, beast is useless because obviously too frail, Monk abilities because too few Ki).

Nearly the "worst" I could think of.
Maybe it would actually be worse to remove Bard levels and grab ASI by way of 4th level in other classes, because you would end as only a 4th level caster, but on the other hand, 3 ASI would be enough to be good at something (likely attack stat to go with weapon cantrip)...
I don't know.

Just note that contrarily to what one could think at first guess, a build consisting to distribute 2 levels evenly on each class would be much better, because you would end with a rather good spellcaster level and an array of spells that can be scaled nicely. :)

Unoriginal
2017-03-06, 02:31 PM
Take 20 levels of Wizard

Have 8 to INT, DEX and CON at character creation.

Take Orc from Volo's Guide.

Burns your spellbook and your focus.

Zene
2017-03-06, 03:49 PM
Take 20 levels of Wizard

Have 8 to INT, DEX and CON at character creation.

Take Orc from Volo's Guide.

Burns your spellbook and your focus.

Good start. If using point buy, you can take 8's all the way across (no need to spend all the points).
I'd also add:
-Never rest
-Travel everywhere using forced march
-Buy the heaviest gear possible, until your movement is 0
-Wear a blindfold and keep your hands manacled
-Don't join a faction
-Spend your ASIs on feats you will never use (like Mounted Combatant, then never use a mount)
-Spend all your combat turns readying actions with the trigger as "when the world ends"

Shining Wrath
2017-03-06, 03:57 PM
An incompetent multi-class with no high abilities and no synergy between the class features and feats selected.

Provo
2017-03-06, 10:17 PM
Straight class Orc Sorcerer (Wild Magic)

15s in STR, INT, and WIS.

Pick only spells that are third level and lower. Focus on ritual spells (even though you can't use them), and take zero damage spells or strong debuff spells.

Metamagics: Highten, Twin, Careful, and distant (first three have no effect with your spell list)

All ASI are feats:
Keen mind (into bonus canceled by ORC)
Great Weapon Master (no proficiency)
Spell sniper (no attack spells)
Magic Initiate (select similarly worthless spells from another class)

This class literally has no benefit from his levels except LVL 20 health (sorcerer with negative con), a lvl 20 proficiency bonus, and some very situational out of combat utility (not even spells useful for social encounters). All on a straight class character

Flashy
2017-03-06, 10:51 PM
This class literally has no benefit from his levels except LVL 20 health (sorcerer with negative con), a lvl 20 proficiency bonus, and some very situational out of combat utility (not even spells useful for social encounters). All on a straight class character

If we're willing to consider spell selection then an evoker who never learns any damaging cantrips and never scribes any evocations or other useful spells gets you basically the same thing on a d6 hit die.

It's arguably worse since an ill timed wild magic surge might be accidentally useful.

Alternately, a 20th level Champion Fighter with 8 Strength and a focus on unarmed attacks. Don't take the Tavern Brawler feat and every turn you can attack four times, dealing a single point of damage on each successful attack. You have an expanded crit range, but the crits don't do anything because you aren't rolling any damage dice.

Provo
2017-03-06, 11:47 PM
If we're willing to consider spell selection then an evoker who never learns any damaging cantrips and never scribes any evocations or other useful spells gets you basically the same thing on a d6 hit die.

It's arguably worse since an ill timed wild magic surge might be accidentally useful.

Alternately, a 20th level Champion Fighter with 8 Strength and a focus on unarmed attacks. Don't take the Tavern Brawler feat and every turn you can attack four times, dealing a single point of damage on each successful attack. You have an expanded crit range, but the crits don't do anything because you aren't rolling any damage dice.

All true, especially because the wild mage has advantage on his surges.

Though, I decided on sorcerer because they can't learn more spells once they hit twenty. Wizard has the potential for more spells (and probably had to pick up at least a few combat or social spells simply because they learn so many)

I avoided any extra attack character as well. The unarmed fighter may be terrible, but they mechanically have the option to use weapons and be much more capable than the sorcerer. The sorcerer is firmly set in their worthlessness.

A 62 health, 9 AC, single attack character, with no combat or social magic is the worst I can imagine.

You could even put a 15 in CHA instead of strength as none of his spells have a to-hit or saving throw now that I think about it.

Giant2005
2017-03-06, 11:54 PM
I'd go with Lore Bard 5/Champion Fighter 4/Barbarian 4/Ranger 2/Paladin 1/Druid 1/Warlock 1/Wizard 1/Monk 1

Kane0
2017-03-07, 12:05 AM
13 in stats across the board to start. Then take 1 level in every class. Then level 2 in everything but Barbarian, Warlock, Sorc, and Fighter.

Senor Vorpal Kickasso!

MeeposFire
2017-03-07, 12:29 AM
gnome monk using a longbow as his weapon with sharp shooter. He will also have minimum scores in dex and wisdom. Open hand because what is more useless than a ranged monk using open hand with a bow. Go ahead use the +10 damage option as you will not hit since you lack prof, low dex, disadvantage to the roll, and the -5 from the feat means you will almost never hit anything even bad ACs.

Most monk abilities are melee based and monks really lack casting, skill enhancers, or other abilities that might make you able to be effective when going against the grain (such as a low int wizard could still use spells that do not require attack rolls or saves and therefor be effective).

Also note while holding the bow you lose access to several monk features as well. If you want to make your life worse you could choose to wear armor but that really is not needed.

Kane0
2017-03-07, 01:16 AM
I'll go for weak with character.

Belrok the Supersticious:

Half-Orc Sorcerer (Wild) 17 / Barbarian (Frenzy) 3
Str 20
Dex 14
Con 14
Int 12
Wis 10
Cha 8

ASI, 12, 16

HP: 134
AC: 14
Attack: +11 (Axe)

Skills:
Athletics
Acrobatics
Nature
Survival

Feats:
Alert
Athlete
Mage Slayer
Savage Attacker

Spells & Metamagic:
Randomized

Favourite posession:
Tin hat

Belrok is a pretty average half orc barbarian. Almost. He has been gifted with the blessing of powerful magic at his beck and call, but unfortunately the culture of his upbringing is highly superstitious and often hostile to the workings of magic. Even when tolerated it is a severe sign of weakness, to be shunned and avoided. Belrok has long since left his homeland but the stigma remains engrained in him, thus he hides and neglects his talents and tries to be the model barbarian he has always been expected to be. He attacks mages without provocation, not out of upbringing but out of fear of being discovered and hunted. Any time magic is directed at him, or worse still flares randomly from him, he flies into a frenzy for as long as he is able.
Should Belrok at some point be convinced or coerced into using his magic he would actually find it to be pretty useless. A low charisma and randomized spell/metamagic selection leaves him with little to rely on, barely more than his decidedly average warrior skills.

He could totally be weaker, but I'd find it much more engaging to play in a form like this.

Ceaon
2017-03-07, 06:40 AM
I'll go for weak with character.
Half-Orc Sorcerer (Wild) 17 / Barbarian (Frenzy) 3
Cha 8

I admire your attempt at showing how roleplay can make someone weaker than mechanical weakening.
However, this is not a valid multiclass. You need cha 13 to multiclass in or out of sorcerer.

Specter
2017-03-07, 07:08 AM
Fighter 20 with 8 in all physical stats should be awful too.

Lawful Good
2017-03-07, 07:44 AM
Skul-Crushrr the Barbarian 20, completely optimized for damage.

Unfortunately, hes a pacifist

Haldir
2017-03-07, 08:18 AM
Fighter 20 with 8 in all physical stats should be awful too.

This is more useless than a wizard with low mental stats. Any spells are more powerful than even an optimized fighter.

Dr. Cliché
2017-03-07, 09:54 AM
Champion with Strength 3?

rudy
2017-03-07, 10:08 AM
While roleplaying can make any character useless, I'm going to assume that this character will be played as "effectively" as is possible given their stats, and that they have to be build on the 27 point system. Then:

* First, any "worst" character is going to be dumped in their most important stats; this means that multiclassing is not going to be possible.
* Second, any caster at 20th is going to have access to high level spells, not all of which require saves. This character will *not* be "worst".

Beyond that it's arguable, but I think I would go with:

Monk 20. Dex, Con, Wis dumped to 8 to start, with Int, Cha and Str maxed. Variant human with a useless feat, giving us stats of (both at the start and then end). Pick up more useless feats; should not be hard. Str 15 Dex 9 Con 9 Int 15 Wis 8 Cha 15. The only question is how this character got to level 20.

Provo
2017-03-07, 11:12 AM
While roleplaying can make any character useless, I'm going to assume that this character will be played as "effectively" as is possible given their stats, and that they have to be build on the 27 point system. Then:

* First, any "worst" character is going to be dumped in their most important stats; this means that multiclassing is not going to be possible.
* Second, any caster at 20th is going to have access to high level spells, not all of which require saves. This character will *not* be "worst".

Beyond that it's arguable, but I think I would go with:

Monk 20. Dex, Con, Wis dumped to 8 to start, with Int, Cha and Str maxed. Variant human with a useless feat, giving us stats of (both at the start and then end). Pick up more useless feats; should not be hard. Str 15 Dex 9 Con 9 Int 15 Wis 8 Cha 15. The only question is how this character got to level 20.

To challenge your assumption about casters having high level spells:

Casters with limited spells known are not required to pick spells from the highest spell level available when they level up (even outside this scenario, I have picked spells below my max level before)

Picking spells is a character choice similar to picking feats, or assigning attribute scores. If somebody is going to pick completely worthless feats, what is to stop them from picking worthless spells?

A caster wouldn't have to dump their casting stat if they have no attacks or saves to cast, so that also opens up multiclass.

Casters would still have max spell slot progression though. So the sorcerer I previously mentioned could have one contribution to battle 9th level Sleep

Naanomi
2017-03-07, 11:29 AM
Hrm... first, I would want a class with low Hit Dice; so my low Constitution would mean incredibly poor HP. This limits me to Sorcerer or Wizard. I would have 2 HP at first level, and I can assume bad rolls to make 1 HP every additional level; leaving me at a massive 21 HP!

Second, I want to eliminate even potential power. A bad spell list is possible for a variety of classes, but a wizard with cash could improve that list... unacceptable! Sorcerer it is.

Third, I want to make the poorest choices in regards to that Sorcerer. While I personally love the class, Wild Mage gives me the worst potential overall of the existing subclasses, so I am a Wild Sorcerer all the way up.

To move from here, I need to know how we are generating stats? Point buy leaves me with '8' as my minimum, which isn't low enough for my liking. Since we are making the weakest possible level 20 character, lets assume I rolled 3 in every stat. I need a race that cannot do anything useful for me... it cannot raise Charisma or Constitution at the very least. Wisdom and Dexterity are in general more useful than Strength and Intelligence, so I need to find a STR/INT race... which there isn't one in the book. Luckily, I can be a Variant Human and take a stupid feat! This leaves my stats at 4/3/3/4/3/3

Speaking of stupid feats, I don't want to accidentally take something useful... and most feats have at least marginal utility. I will take Weapon Master as my Variant Human feat (Blowgun, Club, Handaxe, Sickle)... but every other feat is potentially useful (unacceptable!); so I will throw the rest of my stats into Strength (a total of +10, so 15 STR). This sounds potentially useful, but I will be sure to never take a melee cantrip.

I have to make sure to minimize my social utility as well. I will speak common, and choose my other language to be as useless as possible... maybe something non-standard out of the MM like 'Giant Stag' or 'Modron'? My background might be exploitable as well, I will be an 'Inheritor' and have broken my item a long time ago.

I will work out a spell list later and post it here, I have to make sure to have NO viable combat options, but also not too much utility magic... something to plan over carefully

EDIT: Spell List
Cantrips: Dancing Lights, Light, Mending, Message, Shape Water, True Strike
Spells: Detect Magic, Disguise Self, Expeditious Retreat, Jump, Ray of Sickness, Darkvision, Detect Thoughts, Enhance Ability, See Invisibility, Spider Climb, Water Walk, Daylight, Water Breathing, Control Winds, Teleportation Circle

Veniur
2017-03-09, 11:03 AM
Straight class Orc Sorcerer (Wild Magic)

15s in STR, INT, and WIS.

Pick only spells that are third level and lower. Focus on ritual spells (even though you can't use them), and take zero damage spells or strong debuff spells.

Metamagics: Highten, Twin, Careful, and distant (first three have no effect with your spell list)

All ASI are feats:
Keen mind (into bonus canceled by ORC)
Great Weapon Master (no proficiency)
Spell sniper (no attack spells)
Magic Initiate (select similarly worthless spells from another class)

So I just made this character for fun and tried making it viable. You didn't mention background choice or skills or lvl 19 ASI, so what I came up with is:
Skills: Intimidation, Insight, Deception, Stealth, Perception
ASIs: Spell Sniper taking Firebolt from the wizard class, Magic Initiate taking True Strike, Mending, and Find Familiar (depending on DM can be useless), GWM, Keen Mind, and finally Observant (+1 Wis)
Cantrips: Friends (1), Message (1), Minor Illusion (1), Prestidigitation (1), Mage Hand (4), Firebolt (8), Blade Ward (10), True Strike (16), Mending (16)
Spells: Comprehend Languages (1), Detect Magic (1), Featherfall (2), Crown of Madness (3), Gust of Wind (4), Water Breathing (5), Water Walking (6), Haste (7), Fly (8), Counterspell (9), Dispel Magic (10), Clairvotance (11), Protection from Energy (13), Enlarge/Reduce (15), Find Familiar (16), Invisibility (17)
Stats: 62 HP, -1 AC, 9 AC unarmored, 18 AC (platemail) while travelling, 30ft speed, +6 proficiency, 17 Str, 8 Dex, 9 Con, 14 Int, 16 Wis, 8 Cha
The way the character plays is he would get to the high ground any chance he got and snipe from far away (240ft firebolt). He would remove his armor once he got into position and hide himself the best he could with minor illusion. His familiar would be an owl and would watch his back while he's sniping and doffing his armor. His passive perception of 24 should be enough to hear most intruders sneaking up behind him anyways, but it's always good to be safe with so few HP. So he'd be doing about 4d10 per round if he hits from 240ish ft away. Also lots of utility for party members to take advantage of.

Provo
2017-03-09, 11:55 AM
So I just made this character for fun and tried making it viable. You didn't mention background choice or skills or lvl 19 ASI, so what I came up with is:
Skills: Intimidation, Insight, Deception, Stealth, Perception
ASIs: Spell Sniper taking Firebolt from the wizard class, Magic Initiate taking True Strike, Mending, and Find Familiar (depending on DM can be useless), GWM, Keen Mind, and finally Observant (+1 Wis)
Cantrips: Friends (1), Message (1), Minor Illusion (1), Prestidigitation (1), Mage Hand (4), Firebolt (8), Blade Ward (10), True Strike (16), Mending (16)
Spells: Comprehend Languages (1), Detect Magic (1), Featherfall (2), Crown of Madness (3), Gust of Wind (4), Water Breathing (5), Water Walking (6), Haste (7), Fly (8), Counterspell (9), Dispel Magic (10), Clairvotance (11), Protection from Energy (13), Enlarge/Reduce (15), Find Familiar (16), Invisibility (17)
Stats: 62 HP, -1 AC, 9 AC unarmored, 18 AC (platemail) while travelling, 30ft speed, +6 proficiency, 17 Str, 8 Dex, 9 Con, 14 Int, 16 Wis, 8 Cha
The way the character plays is he would get to the high ground any chance he got and snipe from far away (240ft firebolt). He would remove his armor once he got into position and hide himself the best he could with minor illusion. His familiar would be an owl and would watch his back while he's sniping and doffing his armor. His passive perception of 24 should be enough to hear most intruders sneaking up behind him anyways, but it's always good to be safe with so few HP. So he'd be doing about 4d10 per round if he hits from 240ish ft away. Also lots of utility for party members to take advantage of.

Lol, nice job. Now try to make Naanomi's sorcerer viable :)

And yeah, it is surprising how much a single cantrip (firebolt) can change things. Still, at only +5 to-hit on a lvl 20 character, this guy would probably only attack the BBEGs minions while his team does the hard work.

Phoenix042
2017-03-09, 01:00 PM
20th level ranger, pre UA revision.

They're pretty much trash without even trying.

Specter
2017-03-09, 01:47 PM

Oh boy, here we go again!

Veniur
2017-03-09, 04:17 PM
Lol, nice job. Now try to make Naanomi's sorcerer viable :)

And yeah, it is surprising how much a single cantrip (firebolt) can change things. Still, at only +5 to-hit on a lvl 20 character, this guy would probably only attack the BBEGs minions while his team does the hard work.

Actually the firebolt is keying off Int because with spell sniper you could take it from the wizard tree. Therefore, +2 from 14 int +6 from prof = +8 total. Not terrible. But yeah definitely the minions. Another thing to note is that if just one of those d10s rolls a 10 it is an extra 1d10 of dmg due to lvl 18 wild magic ability.

Citan
2017-03-09, 06:46 PM

Oh boy, here we go again!
Nah, don't worry, this troll is too stupid and tasteless to bother with... XD

Kane0
2017-03-09, 08:38 PM
Level 20 Kobold Sorcerer
Lowest starting Str you can manage
Bestow Curse from 9th level slot, permanent disadvantage on Str checks and saves
If really pressed, polymorph yourself into an even lower Str form.

As weak as you can get while still remaining functional.

Naanomi
2017-03-09, 08:40 PM
Level 20 Kobold Sorcerer
Lowest starting Str you can manage
Bestow Curse from 9th level slot, permanent disadvantage on Str checks and saves
If really pressed, polymorph yourself into an even lower Str form.

As weak as you can get while still remaining functional.
Humorously literal. I did think about what an Orc with 1 INT might look like in functional play...

Phoenix042
2017-03-09, 08:53 PM
Nah, don't worry, this troll is too stupid and tasteless to bother with... XD

HEY!

I'll have you know that I am actually quite tasty.

It's from all the citrus fruit I eat.

Kane0
2017-03-09, 09:10 PM
I'll have you know that I am actually quite tasty.

It's from all the citrus fruit I eat.

Fun fact of the day: Trolls are omnivorous.

TripleD
2017-03-09, 10:02 PM
Level 20 Frenzy Barbarian.

Stand in an empty room and use your signature ability six times.

Ain't nobody weaker than a corpse.