PDA

View Full Version : How do you think these changes would work for a ranger?

Sir cryosin
2017-03-06, 10:07 AM
One thing I don't like is the lack of offensive melee spell options. So what if you add smite spells to the ranger. Yes I know they have hunters mark and ensnaring strike. But hunters mark only works with multi attacks. Which the new beast Master only have one attack unless you 2 weapon fighting.

Also what if you open up all the ritual spells in the ranger spell list. Meaning they don't need to know them and always have access to them.

Brawndo
2017-03-09, 04:04 PM
Hunter's Mark only works with multi-attacks? Not sure what you mean by that.

gfishfunk
2017-03-09, 06:34 PM
I would prefer some flavorful melee spells, but not smites. Maybe something focusing on poison or acid damage..."natural" damage types. I know they are resisted often, but it's both flavorful and thematic.

Sir cryosin
2017-03-09, 06:59 PM
Hunter's Mark only works with multi-attacks? Not sure what you mean by that.

I meant you'd only get mileage out of it through multi attacks.

Specter
2017-03-09, 08:17 PM
Hail of Thorns and Lightning Arrow can both be upcast, giving you similar effects to a smite.A Hail of Thorns upcast at 4th level will give you 4d10 extra damage (22 on average), while a 4th level paladin smite would give 5d8 (22.5 avg). And Hail of Thorns can damage up to nine folks, whereas a smite damages only one. Where's that ranger hate now?

MadBear
2017-03-09, 10:28 PM
Hail of Thorns and Lightning Arrow can both be upcast, giving you similar effects to a smite.A Hail of Thorns upcast at 4th level will give you 4d10 extra damage (22 on average), while a 4th level paladin smite would give 5d8 (22.5 avg). And Hail of Thorns can damage up to nine folks, whereas a smite damages only one. Where's that ranger hate now?

I think he's refereeing to melee attack options. Those are both ranged.

Specter
2017-03-09, 10:40 PM
I think he's refereeing to melee attack options. Those are both ranged.

Oh yeah... well, Ensnaring Strike lacks melee damage, but applying 'restrained' to someone and having them waste an action to try to escape it is like a free Hold Monster along with the damage.

Ngagn
2017-03-09, 11:28 PM
Got a ranger in my group (UA version) and without any smite-like spell he is doing lots of damage. I don't think need spells to do that

Sir cryosin
2017-03-10, 08:10 AM
Got a ranger in my group (UA version) and without any smite-like spell he is doing lots of damage. I don't think need spells to do that

Is he ranged or melee. And what concave

MadBear
2017-03-10, 10:16 AM
Oh yeah... well, Ensnaring Strike lacks melee damage, but applying 'restrained' to someone and having them waste an action to try to escape it is like a free Hold Monster along with the damage.

True, but overall, most of the rangers cool spells are way more effectively used on a ranged character compared to a melee ranger.

Heck, even the best low-level spell "Hunters Mark" works better for a ranged character since they don't use their bonus action for attacking, which is the only way a twf ranger can get more attacks in (and since putting it on a new target takes a bonus action, the twf ranger loses his second attack every time they kill his marked enemy).

Overall, the twf ranger could really use some love in the spell department. Maybe not smites (doesn't seem thematic at all), but some spells similar to booming blade would probably help.