PDA

View Full Version : Matchlock guns in a fantasy world.

RingofThorns
2017-03-06, 10:21 AM
So I am trying to set up a game kind of inspired by the game Darkest Dungeon and in it there are characters that use matchlock pistols.

I am already pretty certain that atleast one of my players is going to want to use them as well, so I guess I am looking for any tips or feed back on this.

Should I allow them to be used, and if so how much damage and the like should they do?

Or should I just disallow them all together and instead just replace them with hand crossbows?

Naanomi
2017-03-06, 10:29 AM
So I am trying to set up a game kind of inspired by the game Darkest Dungeon and in it there are characters that use matchlock pistols.

I am already pretty certain that atleast one of my players is going to want to use them as well, so I guess I am looking for any tips or feed back on this.

Should I allow them to be used, and if so how much damage and the like should they do?

Or should I just disallow them all together and instead just replace them with hand crossbows?
Make them martial weapons and expensive, otherwise should be just fine. The DMG has firearm rules I think.

Nerdynick
2017-03-06, 10:36 AM
The rules presented in the DMG are balanced and playable, if pretty historically inaccurate. They're probably your best bet though, because having long loading times with higher damage just really isn't playable.

If you want more resources, here's this class inspired by Pathfinder's gunslinger. (http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/170778)

Edit:

For the record, the highwayman uses flintlocks. On a matchlock, the hammer brings a burning wick (or "slow match") into the powder. On a wheelock, the hammer comes into contact with a spring loaded wheel that spins rapidly, producing sparks that ignite the powder. Flintlocks skip the wheel and the hammer strikes a plate that shoots sparks into the powder. In terms of chronology it goes matchlock -> wheelock -> flintlock -> percussion caps -> modern cartridges. More or less anyways. There's dozens of examples of big leaps forward or backwards that were so impractical for mass production that they never caught on.

Sir cryosin
2017-03-06, 10:51 AM
I have flintlock firearms in my campaign and in a different game I played a pistol and shield fighter. I use and my DM we use the DMG rules. But I tweaked the guns ranges a bit pistols I keep what they have but the musket I give the long range of the heavy crossbow. I also allow crossbow expert to work with Firearms as well.

Fishyninja
2017-03-06, 01:10 PM
We have Flintlock and Matchlock style weapons in one campaign I play.

My ranger utilises a Rifle (actually a rifle due to rifling), anyway the damage die is 1d12 and I can reload as a bonus action if a pass a dex save of 15.

Steampunkette
2017-03-06, 01:49 PM
For my games whenever guns are involved I make them martial weapons on par with the crossbows or the bows (depending on whether they're single-shot or able to be fired multiple times).

All Pistols are Hand Crossbows.

Problem solved.

So far as I tend to run it, Guns are just a different way to do the same thing. And by keeping the prices low, the damage low, and the reload time basically non-existent, I allow my players to play with Gunpowder Themed Characters without having to futz with the mechanics too much.

They get their guns. I get to not have a headache!

Flashy
2017-03-06, 01:58 PM
I run a mid-renaissance campaign and I've had no issues using the firearm options presented in the DMG. No one uses pistol crossbows, but that's really the only change I've noticed.

CaptainSarathai
2017-03-06, 04:43 PM
In my experience, one of the best ways to keep them from "over utilizing" gun powder, is to keep them honest about how the stuff actually works.
Shot + powder doesn't weigh much, but you have to keep it dry.
>> You can carry a crossbow bolt through a rainstorm, and it's fine. Get the string wet, and you could have issues, but otherwise you're fine.
Firing a match-lock in the rain? Forget about it. Powder got wet when you jumped into that river to grab the Macguffin? Too bad, you aren't shooting until that stuff is bone-dry again.
>> Carrying your powder into a burning building, or are targeted by a spell dealing Fire damage? Prepare to have a shrapnel-filled bad day, as your powder and it's container potentially explode.
>> Let the archers and crossbowmen recover their missiles, but make sure to track not only arrows/bolts/shot, but also powder and matches.
>> Unloading takes time, and effort. I hunt with a musket, and if I don't shoot at something by the end of the day, I just blast the shot into a stump or something, because unloading a muzzle-loader any other way is stupidly dangerous.
This not only means wasting a shot, but also means either making noise, or having to carry a loaded gun through a bad situation. If you think discovering all your powder's wet is bad, wait til you discover that your powder is wet after you've jammed a ball down on top of it. Now you have to unscrew the ball before you can use the gun again.

Remember:
Matchlock = a burning fuse (aka match), clamped to the hammer, is thrust down into a pan full of gunpowder, which ignites more gunpowder in the barrel and fires.
Flintlock = a piece of flint strikes the steel cover of a pan of powder, opening the pan and creating a spark into the pan, igniting the larger charge in the barrel.
Wheel-lock = pulling the trigger releases a mechanically wound steel wheel, which spins against a piece of flint to create a spark, igniting the pan and powder.

What's interesting is that wheel and match lock weapons were used at the same time (match first) and flintlocks came last.
Wheel-locks were super efficient. They kept the pan covered except during loading, and at the moment of firing, which is better than the match lock, which could spill the priming powder from the pan, or allow it to become wet. The wheel is even better than a flintlock, because it sparks closer to the pan, closer to the main charge, and the rotating wheel has more chances to spark than the single hit of a flint.
Why don't we see more wheel-locks? Well, they were crazy expensive and hard to produce, and they required special tools to load. Rather than pull back the hammer manually, a wheel-lock required a small wrench (called a spanner) to coil the wheel. They also had more parts and were prone to breaking.

ShirAhn
2017-03-07, 03:51 AM
I actually use the weapons as described by Matt Mercer in his Gunslinger class. They are fairly balanced imo.

The class is here: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/170778/Gunslinger-Martial-Archetype-for-Fighters

The guns are at the bottom, but for your convenience they are listed as so:

https://i.imgur.com/yBVrBrt.png

LudicSavant
2017-03-07, 04:41 AM
Don't forget that bows and guns (in general, not necessarily matchlocks specifically) historically coexisted for hundreds of years. Try looking at the real pros and cons of early guns vs bows.

Don't forget that bows and guns historically coexisted on the battlefield for hundreds of years. Try looking at the real pros and cons of early guns vs bows.

Not sure what the deal is about making them martial or exotic weapons; longbows seem to have been more difficult to use.

I am by no means an expert, but as far as I know, here are a few of the pros/cons:

Pros:
- Guns shoot higher velocity projectiles than bows, which might be better at piercing things or deal more damage. It also makes them harder to dodge (dodging arrows is extraordinarily difficult, but it is within the range of peak human ability).
- Guns are easy to use compared to bows. Pulling a trigger is way easier than a 100 pound draw, etc etc.
- Guns produce lots of noise and smoke, which can be intimidating!

Cons:
- Guns can jam.
- Early gunpowder is volatile, and in a world of magic there is an overwhelming number of ways to counter it. Whether it's Fireball or Sleet Storm, it's not going to play nice with gunpowder.
- Cannons can be outperformed by arcane artillery.
- Early guns aren't terribly accurate.
- Early guns take a good deal of time and attention to reload, while bows can be fired rapidly. In close range engagements, early guns were glorified bayonet holders, and it wasn't until recent history that elite soldiers (especially cavalry) stopped carrying swords.
- Guns produce lots of noise and smoke, which can give away your position!