PDA

View Full Version : this doesn't make sense.

Azazel_Unbound
2017-03-06, 01:01 PM
So, is it just me, or does anyone else find the monk's shadowstep confusing? Looking at it, it says its only usable in dim light or darkness. Really only making this viable at night, and when you are away from light. Essentially making the class most viable at night and easily outpaced by open hand techniques. Am I understanding this wrong or what? Is there a SA out there or errata that changes this?

P.S. Not to mention, the one ability that would produce darkness for you in the day would eliminate your sight, hence preventing you from shadowstepping

Steampunkette
2017-03-06, 01:06 PM
So, is it just me, or does anyone else find the monk's shadowstep confusing? Looking at it, it says its only usable in dim light or darkness. Really only making this viable at night, and when you are away from light. Essentially making the class most viable at night and easily outpaced by open hand techniques. Am I understanding this wrong or what? Is there a SA out there or errata that changes this?

P.S. Not to mention, the one ability that would produce darkness for you in the day would eliminate your sight, hence preventing you from shadowstepping

Shadows.

Shadows are dim light. It's in the ability's name.

Alternatively: Tunnels, Rooms with few or no windows, lightless hollows, and other locations found in dungeons.

clash
2017-03-06, 01:09 PM
In an outdoor campaign, this will only see play at night in dimly lit places, however in any dungeon crawl there will likely be a lot more opportunities to use this. And if you are a shadow monk, you probably want to be adventuring at night anyways.

ad_hoc
2017-03-06, 01:12 PM
Shadows.

Shadows are dim light. It's in the ability's name.

Alternatively: Tunnels, Rooms with few or no windows, lightless hollows, and other locations found in dungeons.

Yeah, any forested area, any area with buildings or ruins, etc.

It doesn't work on a flat featureless plain during the day which will occur roughly around 0 times during a campaign.

It is far better than the Open Hand's 6th level ability and where the Shadow Monk pulls ahead as both of their 3rd level abilities are great, just with different applications.

Steampunkette
2017-03-06, 01:15 PM
Yeah, any forested area, any area with buildings or ruins, etc.

It doesn't work on a flat featureless plain during the day which will occur roughly around 0 times during a campaign.

It is far better than the Open Hand's 6th level ability and where the Shadow Monk pulls ahead as both of their 3rd level abilities are great, just with different applications.

All of the This.

But even in a Featureless Plain if you've got two large sized creatures on the battlefield they've got Shadows and you can Shadowstep.

Unless there's equal light from all directions. Then you're just SoL.

gfishfunk
2017-03-06, 01:21 PM
Step out of a creature's shadow if nothing else.

MrFahrenheit
2017-03-06, 01:23 PM
Step out of a creature's shadow if nothing else.

Especially if you're a lightfoot halfling.

Maxilian
2017-03-06, 01:30 PM
In an outdoor campaign, this will only see play at night in dimly lit places, however in any dungeon crawl there will likely be a lot more opportunities to use this. And if you are a shadow monk, you probably want to be adventuring at night anyways.

Actually, unless you are in a place with no object (an eternal plain with no real threes or big rocks) then you would be right, but a shadow of a three, a rock, an enemy would be seen as dimlight so you could teleport there

Azazel_Unbound
2017-03-06, 01:44 PM
I understood dimlight as an amount of light that would limit vision whereas darkness would eliminate it.

Steampunkette
2017-03-06, 01:52 PM
Sure. But that's all relative, anyhow.

Dim Light that impedes vision is just a bigger shadow, in the end. Or a larger number of overlapping shadows. Or an area of darkness (Shadow) without enough light to make it bright.

ShikomeKidoMi
2017-03-06, 11:58 PM
I understood dimlight as an amount of light that would limit vision whereas darkness would eliminate it.
Sure, but such areas should be common in any dungeon and many heavily wooded areas.

Kane0
2017-03-07, 12:42 AM
My group reads it as 'Not directly under source of light', so pretty much anywhere you see any sort of shadow works.

During one particularly trippy arc our shadow monk used this ability to step inside someone's eye in order to get into their subconscious.

MintyNinja
2017-03-07, 06:24 PM
Unless there's equal light from all directions. Then you're just SoL.

Sorry, gotta just pause for a second as I found this to be incredibly clever. *Non-Sarcastic Slow Clap*

Steampunkette
2017-03-07, 07:17 PM
Sorry, gotta just pause for a second as I found this to be incredibly clever. *Non-Sarcastic Slow Clap*

Glad someone caught my fantastic spacepun!

Vogonjeltz
2017-03-09, 06:51 PM

Correct, the textbook definition of bright light is that it lets most creatures see normally. "Even gloomy days provide bright light, as do torches, lanterns, fires, and other sources of illumination within a specific radius."

"dim light is usually the boundary between a source of bright light, such as a torch, and surrounding darkness." examples include: The soft light of twilight and dawn, or a particularly brilliant full moon at night.

The term shadows is misleading as a creatures shadow really doesn't cut the mustard, as it doesn't block nearly enough light to constitute dim light, it still falls within the bright light spectrum.

Dim light would be more like...the light in a basement stairwell in an alleyway of a city that is completely obscuring the sun.