PDA

View Full Version : The ultimate spy

Fmtpo2002
2017-03-06, 01:46 PM
I'm trying to make the ultimate infiltrator / impersonator type spy, I'd like to keep some good combat utility as well. We are starting at 6th level and anything published or in UA is fair game. Here's what I have so far.

3 levels of Bard (Lore)
1 level Rogue
2 levels Hexblade warlock.

Medium armor master, Actor feats

Expertise in stealth, perception, deception, persuasion

Courtier background

Agonizing blast and mask of many faces for invocations

Cantrips are: booming blade, eldritch blast, friends, and message

I,d like some input for what changes you might make. What spells I should learn, and what my next level should be. Lvl 2 rogue for cunning action is pretty tempting.

Thanks ahead of time

ruy343
2017-03-06, 01:54 PM
After having read the Bourne series, I think that you could pull off something rather functional from level 1.

Take the Charlatan background - this gives you an already-established identity that you could revert to at a moment's notice. Building on this, take a level of Rogue, and put expertise into Deception and your Disguise Kit proficiency.

This build will allow you to become a chameleon (like Jason Bourne from the book) without any magical effects, and will ensure that you can fool others without tripping magical detectors.

I would take sleight of hand as another important skill and use it to conceal your chosen weaponry (personally, I'd choose a hand crossbow or daggers).

Why do I recommend this?

Because it's old-school - and it would be fun to play a character who makes fun of magic users who try to best his abilities.
It doesn't rely on magic or obscene multi-class builds.
You don't need to rely on stealth if you look like you belong, and if you look nothing like you did 5 minutes ago.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the next poster mentioned the actor feat - that's a good idea to incorporate as well.

retaliation08
2017-03-06, 01:55 PM
UA changeling with the actor feat and expertise in disguise kit and the false identity background feature from the charlatan can make for some serious subterfuge and intrigue situations.

Fmtpo2002
2017-03-06, 02:40 PM
I took Actor. That was too good to pass up. I think I'll stick with half elf for the race. The stat and skill bonuses fit perfectly. Mask of many faces allows me to cast disguise self at will , which I think out does the changeling ability that doesn't include equipment.

With Hex giving a target disadvantage on wisdom checks, and actor giving me advantage on deception checks, I should be able to pass myself off as that persons closest friend in a one on one encounter.

Invisibility, expertise stealth, and gaseous form mean I should be able to get into anywhere.

Arc-Royal
2017-03-07, 12:10 AM
How are you getting two feats with only six levels, no four of which are in a single class? Like, you could have ONE if you went variant human and those class levels, but to have a second feat, you'd need to go at least four levels into something.

Captain Morgan
2017-03-07, 01:53 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?517477-help-me-build-perfect-spy-rogue-warlock

We were just discussing the best spy in that thread. The answer is probably either Lore Bard or GOO Chainlock. I prefer the latter myself. I don't think there's a compelling reason to multiclass because every spell level you hit unlocks new spells (and other abilities) which increase the spy power in whole new ways. Warlock also does just fine in combat. Bard should be all right too, but if you really want reliable damage 2-3 levels of Warlock can fix that and nab you other unique goodies (namely the improved familiar.)

belfastbiker
2019-07-20, 10:02 PM
I took Actor. Mask of many faces allows me to cast disguise self at will , which I think out does the changeling ability that doesn't include equipment.

You're comparing Disguise self with Changeling, when they're not supposed to do the same thing. *Actor* is equivalent to the Changeling Racial, so if you were to take that race you'd now have a free ASI/Feat. The stat bonuses are pretty good too. MoMF is good, but the cost of a disguise self is tiny, it's not worth the invocation. So if you take changeling, you'd still take Disguise Self.

Trickery
2019-07-20, 10:20 PM
Are you taking this character into a social campaign? This sounds like an unusual character that could be cool if your DM is on board. If you DM isn't on board, it's going to be pretty boring.

Rather than multiclass, I suggest you build the best one you can with just one class. That way you still have a functional character no matter what direction the campaign takes.

TheUser
2019-07-21, 07:47 AM
These all seem pretty good under circumstances where casting isn't loud enough to alert people in line of sight within 60ft even during a pitched battle (see also counter spell).

But if your DM is anything like me, or the ones I play with, then subtle spell is virtually mandatory for an infiltrator that plans to use magic.

Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation (for disguising the flavor of meals laced with poison), Disguise Self, Charm Person, Silent Image, Alter Self, Detect Thoughts, Invisibility, Enlarge/Reduce(for stealing stuff or bypassing doors/locks), Knock, Phantasmal Force (having an eating creature choke on illusory food is a neat trick), Suggestion, Tongues, Gaseous Form...and that's just up to level 3 that I can come up with.

Obviously you can't have all these spells but even a few of them have really strong uses when coupled with subtle spell.

3 levels of sorcerer would strike me as mandatory for any infiltrator. It also helps that their casting stat the social stat too.

Sorcerer 5/Arcane Trickster 3 for cunning action and some bonus spells.

hymer
2019-07-21, 07:54 AM
Three levels of druid gets you Pass Without Trace and wild shape. A Land druid from a grassland circle has Invisibility at that level, too, while a coastal druid gets Misty Step. A moon druid gets wild shape as a bonus action. These things can greatly help you to apparently not be in places you don't want to get caught, and allow you to pass by a lot of guards and barriers.

flat_footed
2019-07-24, 07:47 PM
The Fullmetal Mod: Thread Necromancy is a forbidden art.