PDA

View Full Version : The Last Guardian

Backseatgamer
2017-03-06, 04:04 PM
I have a player that wants to have a Trico from The Last Guardian as their animal companion. How do I pull that off?

OldTrees1
2017-03-06, 05:07 PM
So they want a Griffon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/griffon.htm) Animal Companion?

Since you are the DM you could just add Griffon to the list of Druid/Ranger advanced animal companions. Then the player could be a Druid, a Ranger, or someone that took the Wild Cohort feat.

Otherwise they would need find one of the ways to expand the Druid animal companion list to include magical beasts.
Monstrous_Animal_Companion is a feat(with a prerequisite feat) from dragon magazine that adds Griffon as a "as your effective druid level -6" option.
Beast Heart Adept is a prestige class from Dungeonscape that grants its own animal companion(no stacking with Druid/Ranger/WildCohort) that allows Hippogriffs as a starting companion.

ComaVision
2017-03-06, 05:09 PM
Trico is clearly a Magical Beast, not an Animal, thus not a valid choice for Animal Companion.

He's pretty much a reskinned Hippogriff that doesn't have the ability to fly and has Warlock's Eldritch Blast as a racial ability to compensate. That makes him a valid choice for Paladin mount. :smallbiggrin:

KillianHawkeye
2017-03-06, 05:16 PM
He's pretty much a reskinned Hippogriff that doesn't have the ability to fly and has Warlock's Eldritch Blast as a racial ability to compensate.

You forgot to mention that it's size Huge at least!

Ruethgar
2017-03-06, 05:39 PM
So a Dungeonbred Titanic Hippogriff then.

ComaVision
2017-03-06, 05:41 PM
You forgot to mention that it's size Huge at least!

So a Dungeonbred Titanic Hippogriff then.

Or just sufficiently advanced.

eggynack
2017-03-06, 07:32 PM
Chimera doesn't seem too far off. That can be added to the list through totem companion from eberron campaign setting. Requires level 13, which isn't ideal, but it's doable.

KillianHawkeye
2017-03-06, 08:18 PM
Or just sufficiently advanced.

I heard that any sufficiently advanced hippogriff is indistinguishable from magic. :smallamused:

EvulOne
2017-03-07, 09:57 AM
I'm always of the opinion of .....No. You want something that isn't in the game....sorry. It's not in the game.

ATHATH
2017-03-07, 09:19 PM
I'm always of the opinion of .....No. You want something that isn't in the game....sorry. It's not in the game.
Mate, we have a PrC for skydiving dwarves and a feat that lets you turn Turn Undead into Rebuke Hippos in this game.

Nothing is out of reach of a 3.5 character.

ZamielVanWeber
2017-03-07, 10:08 PM
Mate, we have a PrC for skydiving dwarves and a feat that lets you turn Turn Undead into Rebuke Hippos in this game.

Nothing is out of reach of a 3.5 character.

Can I sig this? That is funny.

ATHATH
2017-03-07, 11:01 PM
Can I sig this? That is funny.
I'd be honored (yes).

Mendicant
2017-03-08, 01:17 AM
A huge creature that can shoot lightning from its tail is probably going to be a problem unless everyone else on the team is getting a similarly sweet deal. Perhaps rule that at the start the creature is a juvenile and use a large animal as a template?

Inevitability
2017-03-08, 01:54 AM
Clunky workaround: take the Urban Companion ACF, then take Improved Familiar to get a hippogriff (required: 7 BAB and a CL of 7). The arcane caster level requirement can be met with Southern Magician.

I heard that any sufficiently advanced hippogriff is indistinguishable from magic.

Can I sig this?