PDA

View Full Version : DND 3.5 Halfling Druid build feedback.

Rerednaw
2017-03-06, 05:02 PM
This is a level 7.
Root.
Strongheart 1/2fling Druid 7
Feats:
Sacred Vow
Vow of Poverty (bonus)
Sp Focus Conj (flaw)
Augment Summon (flaw)
2B Nymph's Kiss
3 Greenbound Summoning
4B Touch of Golden Ice
6 Natural Spell
6B Exalted Companion

AC: Tweety, Celestial Dire Eagle (RoS) which also has S Vow & VoP.

Root combat form: Fleshraker with Venomfire, Barkskin, and a bunch of VoP bonuses.

Some background and Campaign notes are here:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?517403-New-toon-for-campaign-looking-for-help-(DND-3-5-all-3-5-no-3rd-party-AND-)#top

Want Natural Bond but can't quite fit it in...plus don't my AC to be mostly combat so waiting a few levels I think is ok.

Suggestions advice welcome!

eggynack
2017-03-06, 05:12 PM
Not the biggest fan of getting augment summoning standard style. There're a few ways of doing it cheaper. Half-orc substitution levels are my preferred way (which would net +1 feat compared to this halfling way, and you'd still have said feat at this level), and planar touchstone for catalogs of enlightenment for the dragon below domain grants augment for a single feat. Not sure what your intelligence and charisma look like, but if they're high enough then words of creation is solid. Also, going by the text, VoP also grants a bonus feat at first level, which you should be getting. You can toss nymph's kiss there, slot companion in one earlier, and so on.

jmax
2017-03-10, 07:41 AM
I would love to play a build like that, but I think my DMs would throw books at me. Plus I'm not sure I could successfully role-play shunning material possessions.

Normally I'd stay away from venomfire due to concerns about adversely impacting game balance, but from your other thread it sounds like that's not an issue. If you want to get more flexibility out of it, ask your DM to price out metamagic rods of Energy Substitution. Rules as written, that should let you get a second energy type option for your animal companion's damage boost, which protects you from the DM throwing acid-immune monsters at you. Just try not to think too hard about the physical manifestation, which won't make any sense whatsoever.

EDIT: Regarding getting Augment Summoning conventionally - while Spell Focus (Conjuration) is not the most optimized feat available, it's far from useless. There are a lot of great Conjuration spells with saving throws for druids. Admittedly not as many as there are for wizards though. Still, check out murderous mist from Spell Compendium - targets Reflex, no spell resistance, huge area, permanently blinds anything failing the save.

Akal Saris
2017-03-14, 04:19 PM
The character looks fine, but honestly I'm wondering if you might be spreading yourself too thin between the BoED feats and the summoning line, especially since you also have a DN in the party who will probably be using animated/summoned undead to support the party.

If you freed up the 3 summoning feats, you could take Natural Bond and some metamagic or Initiate feats. Greensinger Initiate might be a good choice since (1) the party doesn't seem to have a great 'face' character which bluff and some enchantments will help you to fill; and (2) it could help you to scout with Hide and an innocuous/stealthy animal form, giving you some additional utility to the party.

From your DM description, it sounds to me like you should go for maximum flexibility in your character since he's likely to adapt to foes with poison immunity, high AC, etc. to counter your initial build. In fact, you might want to hold off using Venomfire or your best wildshape forms until you absolutely need them, so it doesn't get countered early.

Good luck!