PDA

View Full Version : Can ghasts cast spells?

EvulOne
2017-03-06, 05:09 PM
My search-fu is weak in this area. I've tried to find an answer and I'm hoping for some help. I'm running a story soon in 3.5 which is going to have a background character from a hundred years ago who is now a ghast with a small handful of ghouls act as a 'boss fight' for my 6th level party. I would like to up his CR some by giving him some spellcasting ability if that's possible. Is there a template for that?

ComaVision
2017-03-06, 05:11 PM
They're intelligent so I certainly can't see why they wouldn't be able to take levels in spellcasting class.

EDIT: You could also apply the Spellstitched template.

KillianHawkeye
2017-03-06, 05:18 PM
Yes, but only if you refer to him as a "spell ghaster". :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

OldTrees1
2017-03-06, 05:28 PM
EDIT: You could also apply the Spellstitched template.

Spellstiched Ghast:
CR 4
As Ghast but 4/4/2 spells per day (1st/2nd/3rd) and knows 2 of each level
Also gets DR 5/magic, SR 18, +2 to saves, and +4 total Turn resistance

Although with only 4HD I don't know if they get the 3rd level spells or not (since they would cast them as 4th level Sorcerers).

Flickerdart
2017-03-06, 05:32 PM
Generally, monsters do not make good spellcasters - their casting will be behind the curve, because they start out with a bunch of abilities that raise their CR but don't make them better spellcasters.

Templates that grant spell-like abilities are usually a better approach. Ghasts can have the Spellstitched template from Libris Mortis applied to them - in fact, ghast is the sample monster written up with the template! A spell-stitched ghast "knows" 2 spells of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd level (so 6 spells total) and can "cast" his 1st and 2nd level spells 4 times a day in total, and his 3rd level spells 2 times total. The spells count as spell-like abilities, and must be Conjuration, Evocation, or Necromancy. It also gains DR, SR, and other goodies!

Esprit15
2017-03-06, 05:34 PM
Spellstiched Ghast:
CR 4
As Ghast but 4/4/2 spells per day (1st/2nd/3rd) and knows 2 of each level
Also gets DR 5/magic, SR 18, +2 to saves, and +4 total Turn resistance

Although with only 4HD I don't know if they get the 3rd level spells or not (since they would cast them as 4th level Sorcerers).

They're called out specifically as being able to, so I don't see why not. The effects based on CL would just be weaker.

Zanos
2017-03-06, 05:35 PM
Generally, monsters do not make good spellcasters - their casting will be behind the curve, because they start out with a bunch of abilities that raise their CR but don't make them better spellcasters.

Templates that grant spell-like abilities are usually a better approach. Ghasts can have the Spellstitched template from Libris Mortis applied to them - in fact, ghast is the sample monster written up with the template! A spell-stitched ghast "knows" 2 spells of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd level (so 6 spells total) and can "cast" his 1st and 2nd level spells 4 times a day in total, and his 3rd level spells 2 times total. The spells count as spell-like abilities, and must be Conjuration, Evocation, or Necromancy. It also gains DR, SR, and other goodies!
Monsters without spellcasting can abuse the non-associated class level rules to catch up in casting, though. A ghast/sorcerer 4 probably punches harder than it's CR 5 would indicate.

EvulOne
2017-03-06, 05:40 PM
Good information all and very quick. Thank you.

sleepyphoenixx
2017-03-06, 06:51 PM
Monsters without spellcasting can abuse the non-associated class level rules to catch up in casting, though. A ghast/sorcerer 4 probably punches harder than it's CR 5 would indicate.

Depends on what you actually do with your casting. While you're casting most of the ghasts monster abilities aren't really doing anything for you, since it's a melee monster.
Something like Blood Wind or other swift action spells would significantly increase its threat though, as would starting a fight with Stinking Cloud or something else you and your likely minions are immune to.
It would be significantly tougher than a normal humanoid with no racial HD too, which can be helpful in beefing up your encounters.

That actually sounds like a really nasty fight for a level 5 party. A ghast/sorc 4 with 2-3 normal ghasts as minions? I'll have to spring that on my party sometime.

thorr-kan
2017-03-06, 07:58 PM
Yes, but only if you refer to him as a "spell ghaster". :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:
You go to your room. You know what you've done.

(Wish *I'd* thought of that; muttermuttermutter...)

Segev
2017-03-07, 11:52 AM

You go to your room. You know what you've done.

(Wish *I'd* thought of that; muttermuttermutter...)

Of course, if you set him up primarily with Evocations (or put him through the Warlock class), he's a ghaster blaster.

DrMotives
2017-03-07, 11:58 AM
You'd think making a necroghaster would be the first thing to go to.