PDA

View Full Version : Advice to a New DM/First Meet Report

Eclipsian77
2017-03-06, 05:36 PM
If you play in Sanctuary and are named Howie, Sam, Tommy, Brett, or Austin, you might not want to read on.

I am a new, inexperienced DM - I'm always looking for advice and tips that others have. I also don't want to dig myself or my players into a corner with where they can go, and so am turning to the hivemind for advice.

This last Saturday, I ran 5e for the first time, with what I feel were mixed results. My players assured me they had fun, and I did as well, but I definitely felt the session could have been improved (the fact that four of the five players are experienced DMs as well didn't help).

I am running a homebrew I worked up, partially because I enjoy the creative process involved and partially because the published adventured make me a little nervous - they seem to have even more to keep track of than a homebrew world. My goal within the world is to keep it completely open - I want the players to determine their own plot, whatever that may be. My goal is to fill in the lines, as it were - to shape the world around them without railroading them into anything in particular.

For convenience I have placed details on the world, the party, and what happened in spoiler tags

The world of Sanctuary is kind of like Terra Nova - the players come from a ruined world, overrun with warring fiends and celestials, where the entire population is confined to one ancient dwarven fortress named Bastion.

They and a number of other adventurers are sent as part of a "second wave" of exploration into the world (after a series of farms and a town dubbed Sanctuary are erected), partially to get rid of those with excessive wanderlust who are causing problems in Bastion, and partially to learn more about this completely new world.

Within the group, we have:
A half-orc ranger (UA variant, I believe he went for Deep Stalker), effecting something of a bandito persona, who is obsessed with gold and collects the ears of his fallen foes. He is primarily ranged, resorting to handaxes as his secondary weapons.

A dwarf fighter (battlemaster), who fought as a (non-lethal) gladiator and is obsessed with glory.

A lizardfolk barbarian (bear totem) who serves as our main tank and direct damage dealer. His player keeps fairly quiet, but they characterize him as pretty hotheaded.

A human artificer (gunsmith) who keeps fairly aloof and acts somewhat like a mad scientist (discredited scientist type).

A lizardfolk druid (shepherd) who acts as the barbarian's voice of reason. They are brothers and venerate the Fey. The player has expressed to me a desire to multiclass into fighter and warlock (fey patron), and as of the time of writing I believe he is a druid 2/fighter 1/warlock 1.

In addition, our fighter has a kobold indentured servant who they have outfitted out and who he intends to transfer to - at the next meet having it kill the dwarf in its sleep (the characters are all pretty amoral).

The Plot:

After something of an orientation wherein the purpose of their expedition is explained to them, the party set off into the new world.
They established that Sanctuary hasn't seen anything more threatening than a few wolves hanging around before they set off.
Around midday, they encounter a band of goblins - actually, the goblins ambushed them. I was expecting some surprise (at least some in character), both at the goblins and the fact that the world had (semi-)intelligent life, but none was to be had. The combat was short and brutal - the goblins didn't last two rounds (my first, and what I feel is my main, inadequacy as a DM - combat). Goblins were looted for (unfamiliar) money and potions, and the ranger collected their ears.
The party then decided to follow their tracks back to their camp or country (I did not provide them much of a map - just a few miles around Sanctuary, so they weren't sure), which I did not expect, but in hindsight I really should have.
They arrived that evening, getting a quick feel of the camp - twice as many goblins as they had encountered earlier were ambling around, readying the camp for the evening - lighting fires, etc. They talked to one, learning about the leader (unbeknownst to them, a hobgoblin captain) and his lady friend (also a hobgoblin). I had aimed for this combat to test them more thoroughly and stretch my combat muscles, to see if I could get the hang of combat, etc.
My players instead diplomanced their way through, the ranger (the only one who spoke goblin) talking his way in to seeing the leader (only later did we realize that he was wearing the ears of this guy's comrades) and learning about the goblins' situation - they were escaped slaves of another nation across the continent, who swiped a couple of ships and caused some havoc on their way out. They crashed ashore and damaged their ships and were currently trying to find the wood needed to repair them - their two expeditions into the woods to the south having never returned.
The ranger then asked if he could talk to the rest of the party, which was granted. Together, they came up with a plan to take over both this world and Sanctuary, using the goblins (and orcs and maybe gnolls) to "save" the other nations and place themselves as the rulers before invading the old world and taking it back.
They then present this idea to the leader, giving him "delusions of grandeur," etc. - he buys it. They also promise to investigate the woods and find the wood he needs for his boats.
As they leave, they run into one of the goblins from the first expedition, covered in webbing and bite wounds - after treatment from the druid (he stocked up on healing kits before he left), he said one word before passing out: : "spiders." The party immediately expects drow (I have something of a reputation among the group).

Here we took a brief break, as I had intended that to be an encounter, expecting them to swoop in and murderhobo the rest of the goblins. Instead they recruited (and effectively defeated) them, earning themselves a boatload of experience. Enough to level up. Twice. After a pizza/leveling break, we got back to it.

They journey back into the forest, delving deeper into it - and run into a pack of giant wolf spiders, martialed by an ettercap. This is when our fighter and barbarian really began keeping track of how many enemies they had killed each.
They continue, the forest getting darker and the webbing around them getting heavier. They enter a clearing in the trees, and in the center was an enormous, building-sized pillar, covered in webbing a foot thick. Upon further examination they see that the pillar is made of white stone, with foliage carved into it with incredible detail. As they touch it, two doors (each representing the Seelie and Unseelie fey, respectively) appear in the stone. They open them and enter.
Inside, the pillar is just one massive chamber, with a spiraling staircase around the edges that then has doors leading off. It is also covered in webs.
Once here, the players fought a horde of ettercaps (which I started too far away from them) and then monstrous spiders, which appeared every time they touched the web (feeling the vibrations from strangers in their webs) - they didn't struggle, but they thought they might eventually be overwhelmed, so the artificer set the webs on fire and basically blew the spiders up while the party took shelter outside.
They reentered, dug through the debris, and claimed the spoils that I had rolled up (oil of slipperiness, ring of swimming, and cloak of useful items). The temple was dedicated to the fey (actually anchoring the feywild to the plane), and pixies and sprites began filtering in through the doorways, returning from the feywild.
A beam of moonlight shone down from the ceiling, encompassing our party, as the Lady of the Moon descended to personally thank the group who had cleansed their temple. She gave each a gift. She let the ranger keep the ring of swimming, she gave the fighter an ioun stone (protection) (flavored as an enchanted piece of rubble), gave the barb a +1 greataxe (which will gain other abilities as he levels), let the artificer keep the cloak, and took on the druid as a vassal as he multiclassed into warlock. The party as a whole asked for her aid with a ship/fleet, which she promised them she would grant them - telling them to look when the moon was out that night.

I understand that this is (lengthy as it is) a very limited viewd, but - what advice would you give a new DM? How could I have better balanced the loot or encounters? What should I do so that, going forwards, I'm not caught off guard by my players' approach to challenges?

War_lord
2017-03-06, 06:29 PM
The only thing that really sticks out to me, is that the magic item haul seemed a bit excessive. You need to keep it to a drip rather then a flow, otherwise magic items will start to lose their allure and become just another bit of loot.

Squibsallotl
2017-03-06, 07:50 PM
It all sounds like a very good campaign. I like that the party used diplomacy to get the goblins on side, and that you flowed with that (despite not expecting/preparing for it). The spiders/unseelie temple also sounds very cool and atmospheric.

The only issues here are the excess of loot (as War_lord pointed out) and the lack of really challenging combat. They've destroyed one encounter, bypassed another, and haven't really been threatened by the third. It's time to put the fear of the DM into them, maybe introduce a major antagonist they cannot immediately defeat, that either forces them to flee or captures them and takes all their stuff (one way to remedy the loot creep) before sending them trussed like turkeys back to the goblins as a "warning".

Especially early in the campaign you don't want the PCs feeling too powerful. The climate you want to create is that the odds are stacked against them, and they must succeed despite the evil DM doing their best to kill them.

Some good rules of thumb for encounter building:
1) Mix enemy types. It sounds like you're already doing this, but try to provide the enemy team with different options for attacking. Some high-AC tanks supported by artillery, for instance.
2) For encounters you want to be challenging, use more than one tough enemy. A single high CR foe can be crowd controlled or nova'ed by an experienced party, especially if they're prepared for it. A bunch of low CR minions don't really improve the threat level much if their leader can be destroyed in a few rounds, it becomes a simple mop-up duty (or use the leader's death to intimidate the rest into fleeing). Multiple high CR enemies are much more threatening.
3) Use terrain and lairs to the enemy's advantage. I recently ran a 2nd level party through a kobold lair, with never more than 3-4 kobolds in the fight at any one time, but they'd designed their lair with traps, hazardous terrain, rope bridges they could cut behind them, pits of snakes and barrels of fire beetles, and so forth. It ended up proving a significant challenge and sapping almost all of the party's resources.
4) Have weak enemies run, and aggro bigger groups of enemies. Mindless undead may stand and fight, but a goblin will see one of his fellows get cleft in twain by a greataxe and decide to Nope it right out of there.
5) Ambush. Divide the party, have enemies attack with little or no warning (provided they beat passive perception checks and no one's making a good enough active check). The goblin survivor and the spiderwebs around the temple immediately primed the party to expect a spider-themed fight. If they're caught unawares, especially if the nature of the foe isn't immediately apparent (think darkness/obscuring fog/shapeshifters) the fear is a lot stronger and they'll scramble trying to mount an effective counterattack.

War_lord
2017-03-06, 07:57 PM
Yeah, I agree with Squib, the party are strangers exploring a strange land, I would suggest hiking the danger levels up a notch to really get across just how risky their adventure is. Just don't go overboard, you don't want the players to feel like they're being punished. Maybe have the Hobgoblins proper show up?

Kane0
2017-03-06, 08:23 PM
Needs more Bulettes.

Eclipsian77
2017-03-14, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the great advice!

We just had our second meet, and I think I did a lot better this time (at least on the combat front - still working on balancing the loot front).

Our ranger and fighter couldn't make it, so the other three set off in the boat (exploring a little more, but staying close) while they and the goblins "planned."

Their first encounter was against 5 sahuagin and a sahuagin priestess, which was markedly more difficult. They handled it with relative ease (no real danger) - but they strategized this time, and I managed to take the barbarian and artificer out with a Hold Person (note to self: terrible wisdom saves) until the druid (who was in the crow's nest) made her drop concentration. In the future, this is more the encounter I want to run.

They looted them (I think a few gold and like a single weak potion?) and then dumped their bodies in the sea. Then they rolled for History to find out more about them. One rolled really high, so I dropped a hint about sahaguin baronies. They have an idea that they're going up against the barons, but I think I'll hold that one until they're all together and then hit them with a full-scale battle - one to really test them. A baron or two, several priestesses, tons of minions (fodder/distractions) - might even modify some kuo-toa to match for diversity.

They landed on a peninsula (Sanctuary lies on another peninsula, they crossed the strait) and explored some ruins in the hills the goblins told them about.

I used some map of I think a mansion or maybe an underground fortress for it, but I think it worked moderately well. They looted some rooms, from which I gave them way too much loot (potions and scrolls galore). As they explored, they found a lone skeleton (climbing up a well - I had an idea for a tunnel system under the ruins, with them not being very careful and triggering the inhabitants to investigate) which they sent back down with the barbarian's handaxe.

The druid was constantly rolling for investigate checks, which I got a little fed up with (paranoia is healthy, but he was being ridiculous) so the next room they walked into (filled with furniture) turned into mimics. Six mimics, which wore down the druid and artificer (but couldn't touch the barbarian) almost to death - success? At least they weren't thirsting for combat here. They leveled again.

After updating their characters, they exited the room and walked into the throne room to face several undead - four skeletons (two minotaurs, two vanilla) and a bodak. This one was fun for me, as the bodak was finally strong enough to challenge them, but didn't have the hp or ac to keep up. The minotaurs were even beefier (heh) and one of them came pretty close to wrecking the barb with a nasty gore attack. My staging was a little off (too much in a line, too confined for the minotaurs, and not close enough for the bodak to really whale on anyone but the barbarian.

In the future, I'm definitely planning these things out better as I think more on what abilities and such require - and either bringing enough of them to be mowed down (similar to the mimics, but less repetitive) or boosting ac.

I have encounter ideas for just about everywhere they can reasonably go, though as suggested I think I'll be upping the CR of the monsters they encounter - and to that end maybe decreasing exp/moving to a different system of granting (is it adjusted exp divided by party members, or unadjusted?) I'm also definitely taking the advice on scaling waaay back on the items to a drip - most of what they have they'll either get a lot of mileage out of or a single use - so I can scale back and keep it there without really 'hurting' them.

War_lord
2017-03-15, 06:32 AM
About the Investigation checks. As a general rule checks like Investigation have to be done on things. Just scanning the room is a Perception check (or even better, passive Perception). Next time the Druid says "I roll investigation" you should say "okay, what would you like to investigate?".

Ninja_Prawn
2017-03-15, 06:48 AM
About the Investigation checks. As a general rule checks like Investigation have to be done on things. Just scanning the room is a Perception check (or even better, passive Perception). Next time the Druid says "I roll investigation" you should say "okay, what would you like to investigate?".

Yeah.

In an ideal world, the druid wouldn't say "I roll <anything>" at all; the druid would say "I check around the doorframe to see if there are any traps" and you would say "please give me an Intelligence (Investigation) check." There are three main reasons to do it this way: 1) it keeps the druid player in the game; they're imagining what their character is actually doing rather than just picking numbers off a sheet like some kind of takeaway menu. 2) It tells you as the DM what they're looking for; if there was a secret message carved into the doorframe, checking for traps might not reveal it, but nonspecifically 'investigating the darkness' forces you to decide what they're looking for. In short, you can't know whether the players succeed or fail if they don't tell you what their objective is. 3) The trap might be so badly hidden that they don't need to roll; just looking in the right place reveals it; or the circumstances might make it so that investigation isn't the right skill.