PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Looking for ways to mimic Diehard

Eldonauran
2017-03-06, 07:39 PM
Anyone know of a way to mimic the effects of Diehard, specifically the ability to remain conscious under 0 HP, that does not involve actually having the feat? I know several classes that grant it as a bonus feat. I'm trying to find a magic item, spells, or similar effect that will do it. I have one in mind but it requires the user to count as an orc. The character is not an orc nor is he human or half-orc.

Thank you

3rd party products are not an option.

Jack_Simth
2017-03-06, 07:50 PM
Anyone know of a way to mimic the effects of Diehard, specifically the ability to remain conscious under 0 HP, that does not involve actually having the feat? I know several classes that grant it as a bonus feat. I'm trying to find a magic item, spells, or similar effect that will do it. I have one in mind but it requires the user to count as an orc. The character is not an orc nor is he human or half-orc.

Thank you

3rd party products are not an option.

3.5 has a few spells for it... Beastland Ferocity (Planar Handbook, Spell Compendium) and Favor of the Martyr (Magic of Faerun, Player's Guide to Faerun, Spell Compendium), both fit the bill. Not sure about Pathfinder.

Eldonauran
2017-03-06, 09:23 PM
3.5 has a few spells for it... Beastland Ferocity (Planar Handbook, Spell Compendium) and Favor of the Martyr (Magic of Faerun, Player's Guide to Faerun, Spell Compendium), both fit the bill. Not sure about Pathfinder.

Sadly, 3.5 edition isn't legal for play.

I've found a magic item that basically gives Orc ferocity to the wearer. Someone with orc blood gets diehard. Someone with both gets an extra round of orc ferocity. I've got a spell that makes the recipient immune to death from hp loss/damage for 1/rds per level and I want to make my character able to withstand the worst possible abuse before he goes down.

Jack_Simth
2017-03-06, 09:34 PM
Sadly, 3.5 edition isn't legal for play.

I've found a magic item that basically gives Orc ferocity to the wearer. Someone with orc blood gets diehard. Someone with both gets an extra round of orc ferocity. I've got a spell that makes the recipient immune to death from hp loss/damage for 1/rds per level and I want to make my character able to withstand the worst possible abuse before he goes down.

Oh. If thats what you want, take a look at what happens when you combine a Waxwork Creature (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/sentient-waxwork-cr-0/) with Construct Armor (www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/building-and-modifying-constructs/#TOC-Construct-Armor) and a Protection From Energy (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/p/protection-from-energy/) spell (on the construct - may also want to get it a Ring of Energy Resistance or something as a backup...).

Waxen Regeneration means that it stays active and doesn't get destroyed unless it gets damaged by fire.
Construct Armor says that until the construct is destroyed, it takes damage instead of you.
Protection from Fire prevents fire damage from affecting the construct.

You can take ALL the abuse (up until the DM throws a book).

Eldonauran
2017-03-06, 10:01 PM
Yeah, the cheese is strong with that. Wouldn't be allowed anyway and I don't see the appeal of playing something like that.

Jack_Simth
2017-03-06, 10:06 PM
Yeah, the cheese is strong with that. Wouldn't be allowed anyway and I don't see the appeal of playing something like that.
For a lesser version, simply apply construct armor to a Trompe L'oeil (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/trompe-l-oeil-cr-1/) instead of a waxwork creature. That way, you end up with a pool of extra hit points that regenerates 2d4 days after getting depleted. In the meantime, it's still destroyed, and your character is at threat from the guy with the axe.

Edit: Oh yes: And as you can pick the creature, you can tune the amount of optimization involved in the extra HP pool up or down with a pretty decent granularity.

theasl
2017-03-07, 02:45 AM
So is there a reason that you don't want the actual Diehard feat? Just curious.

the_archduke
2017-03-07, 10:38 AM
Commoner into the Survivor prestige class. Guns are simple weapons. Make sure to use your catch phrase "Yippe kay yay M..." oh...

You meant the FEAT.

Eldonauran
2017-03-07, 01:03 PM
So is there a reason that you don't want the actual Diehard feat? Just curious.

Getting the feat is an option if it doesn't require multi-classing, actually spending a feat, or changing the character's race. The only way I thought it was possible is through magic items, or spells.

Bucky
2017-03-07, 04:36 PM
In Pathfinder, the spell Battle Trance does exactly what you want, but comes with drawbacks.

I've found a magic item that basically gives Orc ferocity to the wearer. Someone with orc blood gets diehard. Someone with both gets an extra round of orc ferocity.

Have you considered using UMD to mimic the racial requirement?

Eldonauran
2017-03-07, 06:12 PM
In Pathfinder, the spell Battle Trance does exactly what you want, but comes with drawbacks.
Excellent. That is just about perfect for what I need. It is a racial specific feat (half-orc) but at least it is something I can work with.

Have you considered using UMD to mimic the racial requirement?
Oddly enough, no. That would be an option as well. The character does have Use Magic Device and a high charisma.

Ok, here is a list of what we have (mostly for my reference):

Battle Trance (Half-orc racial) [spell]
Use Magic Device (emulate race) [Talisman of the Orc Mother]
Smelling Salts (one round action) [alchemical item]
Fervor Juice (grants ferocity for one hour) [alchemical item]