PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Purchasing feats or skill points with money

Waytraveler
2017-03-06, 10:02 PM
I'm running a game of Darwin's World (based on d20 Modern but using money instead of the wealth system). I'm finding that my players, who are used to D&D, are ending up with tons of cash and nothing they really need to buy. They just hit level 6, and the campaign should be going until about level 14. The loot they just got will be around 7000-9000 each.

I'm considering selling them feats and skill points as a form of paid training for their characters. I figure this is somewhat like purchasing magic items in D&D. I'm thinking a feat would cost about 6000 gp, a skill point would be 2000 gp, and the option to make a skill a class skill would be 3000 gp.

This is just pulling numbers out of the air, and don't even know if this is a good idea at all, so any advice would be appreciated.

Dagroth
2017-03-06, 10:43 PM
I'm running a game of Darwin's World (based on d20 Modern but using money instead of the wealth system). I'm finding that my players, who are used to D&D, are ending up with tons of cash and nothing they really need to buy. They just hit level 6, and the campaign should be going until about level 14. The loot they just got will be around 7000-9000 each.

I'm considering selling them feats and skill points as a form of paid training for their characters. I figure this is somewhat like purchasing magic items in D&D. I'm thinking a feat would cost about 6000 gp, a skill point would be 2000 gp, and the option to make a skill a class skill would be 3000 gp.

This is just pulling numbers out of the air, and don't even know if this is a good idea at all, so any advice would be appreciated.

Look up some Legendary Sites like the Otyugh Hole (Complete Scoundrel). This will give you a good idea of the "cost" for getting feats. Given that there's a Feat that gives you 4 skill points, you can use the same general pricing.

Venger
2017-03-06, 11:37 PM
Look up some Legendary Sites like the Otyugh Hole (Complete Scoundrel). This will give you a good idea of the "cost" for getting feats. Given that there's a Feat that gives you 4 skill points, you can use the same general pricing.

otyugh hole costs 3k. I assume you're referring to open-minded? if so, then it actually gives 5. that'd mean you would charge 600gp for a skill point.

Deeds
2017-03-06, 11:38 PM
Selling weapon proficiencies isn't too far fetched. Selling the ability to swing from tree to tree with the feat, Bracihation, would be hilarious.