PDA

View Full Version : Going to start a Doctor Who campaign - what source books can you recommend?

Guran
2017-03-07, 04:24 AM
After two and a half years my D&D campaign is about to end in an epic finale. For the follow up my players and I are looking for something that is different from D&D as we are all growing rather tired of the system. Last year I happened to pick up the Cubicle 7's doctor who roleplaying game main book. We played a holiday special session with and had great fun. What stood out for me the most was that with the lack of big swords and powerfull spells, my players found very creative ways to deal with threats.

Despite setting it in the DW-verse, it will be timelord light. It will start out in a yet to be named village in rural England near a mine that was closed down years ago due to safety hazards. And yes, with all the distortions in the space-time continuum down there it is indeed rather unsafe. Normally when something nasty turns up, this madman in a blue box shows up and sets things right. This time however, he does not come and 4 youngsters will have to go to the extreme to protect their families and find their time travelling guardian.

Now I noticed that there are several sourcebooks out there. One for every Doctor by the looks of it. For those who have experience with the system and these supplements, is there anything out there you can recommend me for this daring new adventure?

Hopeless
2017-03-07, 04:39 PM
Take your pick!
Seriously which doctor do you prefer for your campaign?

JustIgnoreMe
2017-03-07, 06:47 PM
You don't need the Doctor sourcebooks. Unless you're trying to emulate a particular Doctor or go through his episodes (with your own twists), you can leave them (although of course they're nice to have).

The current Peter Capaldi-cover core book should be all you need.

Mutazoia
2017-03-10, 07:39 AM
So you are basically running your own budding branch of Torchwood....

Adam500
2017-03-11, 08:48 PM
Whichever corebook you have is plenty to get a game running (there were no major differences between the Tennant-era and Smith-era books, and I can't imagine the Capaldi-era book was any different).

As to the sourcebooks --

* As people as said, the Xth Doctor Sourcebooks are fun reads, and occasionally have an interesting baddie or piece of tech or capability, but by and large they are unnecessary unless you are trying to emulate a particular season of the show.

* The Time Lords Companion is INDISPENSABLE if you plan to do any sort of Time Travel, TARDIS or no, timelord or no, as it has quite detailed discussions on how time travel in the Doctor Who universe has worked over the years including all the little variables and exceptions that had made their way into the series canon up to that point.

* Likewise the UNIT sourcebook is quite handy as well. I know you said you like your players coming up with creative solutions to problems, but sometimes players just want to shoot a monster (though they may quickly learn why this was a bad idea), and this book really makes more martially minded characters (Soldiers, etc) a viable archetype.

I haven't really been tracking the games releases in recent years beyond the Xth Doctor books, so I hope this helps.