PDA

View Full Version : My first Spell

Xunthrae
2017-03-07, 05:10 AM
I'm looking for feedback on a spell I'm wanting to pitch to my Dm. It's explicitly supposed to be a long casting, flashy spell that packs a punch. It's also the character's first created spell, so any ideas on quirks for the spell would also be greatly appreciated.

(Name still TBD)
Eldanariathel’s Elemental Barrage
Level 6 Evocation
Cast time: 1-10 Rounds; See Text
Range: 120ft Line
Components: Verbal, Somatic, and Cut, Spherical Blue, Red, White, and Green Diamonds Each worth at least 100g each

As you begin casting this spell you start to bind together elemental forces into a focused point. Select a damage type, Fire, Cold, Lightning, or Acid. After one round of casting you can release the spell, dealing 2d8 Force damage plus 1d8 of the damage type you selected, or you can keep casting. For each additional round you spend casting this spell adds 2d8 of a different Element of your choice, to a maximum of 4d8 per element. If you cast this spell for all 10 rounds, re-roll 1’s on the damage die. If you attempt to hold the spell for longer than 10 rounds, make concentration checks every round to hold it. DC starts at 5 and increases by 5 per round. A fully charged barrage would do 4d8 Fire, 4d8 Cold, 4d8 Lightning, 4d8 Acid and 2d8 Force Damage, reroll 1’s.

NNescio
2017-03-07, 05:24 AM
I'm looking for feedback on a spell I'm wanting to pitch to my Dm. It's explicitly supposed to be a long casting, flashy spell that packs a punch. It's also the character's first created spell, so any ideas on quirks for the spell would also be greatly appreciated.

(Name still TBD)
Eldanariathel’s Elemental Barrage
Level 6 Evocation
Cast time: 1-10 Rounds; See Text
Range: 120ft Line
Components: Verbal, Somatic, and Cut, Spherical Blue, Red, White, and Green Diamonds Each worth at least 100g each

As you begin casting this spell you start to bind together elemental forces into a focused point. Select a damage type, Fire, Cold, Lightning, or Acid. After one round of casting you can release the spell, dealing 2d8 Force damage plus 1d8 of the damage type you selected, or you can keep casting. For each additional round you spend casting this spell adds 2d8 of a different Element of your choice, to a maximum of 4d8 per element. If you cast this spell for all 10 rounds, re-roll 1’s on the damage die. If you attempt to hold the spell for longer than 10 rounds, make concentration checks every round to hold it. DC starts at 5 and increases by 5 per round. A fully charged barrage would do 4d8 Fire, 4d8 Cold, 4d8 Lightning, 4d8 Acid and 2d8 Force Damage, reroll 1’s.

I assume by "after one round of casting you can release the spell" this means at the start of your next turn on the next round (at the same initiative number, in case the caster somehow gets more than one turn per round). Also the range should be "Self (120-foot line)", and you should specify the width of the line in the spell description.

This spell does seem to be very bad, unless the caster has some means of stealth (and can cast without getting his vocal components getting heard) or large amounts of movement (via Phantom Steed, maybe?) to charge up the spell before combat begins.

ApplePen
2017-03-07, 06:40 AM
Or if the caster is a sorcerer with the right meta magic

Ninja_Prawn
2017-03-07, 07:16 AM
This spell does seem to be very bad, unless...

Even then, though... I mean, it's doing what... 11.2 damage per round if you fully charge it, assuming two targets are in the area? By level 11, it's far, far more efficient to cast Firebolt ten times.

Wait... Is this supposed to auto-hit? I guess that would put it on par with Magic Missile VI for DPR, though I'm not certain that's a good thing.

Overall, I don't think the 'charging' mechanic works. It'd be better to just specify a 1 minute casting time and increase the damage output. I also wouldn't bother with all the different damage types - they don't matter often enough to make it worthwhile.

JackPhoenix
2017-03-07, 06:46 PM
Even then, though... I mean, it's doing what... 11.2 damage per round if you fully charge it, assuming two targets are in the area? By level 11, it's far, far more efficient to cast Firebolt ten times.

Wait... Is this supposed to auto-hit? I guess that would put it on par with Magic Missile VI for DPR, though I'm not certain that's a good thing.

Overall, I don't think the 'charging' mechanic works. It'd be better to just specify a 1 minute casting time and increase the damage output. I also wouldn't bother with all the different damage types - they don't matter often enough to make it worthwhile.

Firebolt would be more efficient if you actually could cast it 10 times. As I see it, this spell allows for an great alpha strike. If you know there's an battle incoming, or if you have other means to pump it up before releasing it, 18d8 damage (with rerolled 1's) line is pretty good for level 6 slot. Situational, but if you have time to prepare before entering BBEG's sanctum, or someone else has the boss held in Forcecage, it could be good opening move. Multiple damage types may actually be a disadvantage, though... at higher levels, it's hard to find enemy that isn't immune or resistant to at least something. And as written, with no save, it ignores Legendary Resistance.

Kane0
2017-03-07, 07:45 PM
There's a lot going on in this spell. You have a variable casting time and damage, lots of damage of different types, rerolls, no save or upscaling

You will want to simplify this for it to actually see play. May I suggest:

6th Level Evocation
Casting time: 1 Action; See Text
Range: Self (120 foot line)
Components: V, S, M (a colored, spherical diamond worth at least 100gp)
Duration: Concentration, up to 30 seconds.

A beam of elemental forces 120 feet long and 5 feet wide lances out from you in a direction you choose. Each creature in the line must make a Dexterity saving throw. A creature takes 4d8 Force damage and 4d8 Acid, Cold, Fire or Lightning damage (your choice) on a failed saving throw or half as much on a successful one.

On each of your turns you can use your action to launch another beam. Each time you launch a new beam the damage dealt decreases for all damage types by 1d8 and you must choose a damage type not previously used in same casting of this spell (for example if the first beam dealt 4d8 force and 4d8 fire, the second beam could deal 3d8 force and 3d8 acid, cold or lightning).

You can also choose to hold a beam, storing it to add into another. Your action is used as if you fired it but no line takes effect, instead adding its damage to the effect of another beam used as part of this spell. You have disadvantage on saving throws made to maintain concentration while holding one or more beams. The spell ends if you use your action to do anything other than fire or hold a beam.

At Higher Levels: The damage dealt increases by 1d8 for both the force and elemental damage types for each spell level above 6th.

So if you simply cast this as a 6th level spell you can deal 8d8 damage, or you can charge it up for 14d8 with two rounds, 18d8 with three or 20d8 with all four. Usable as a Better Lightning Bolt or as a Kamehameha.

Kane0
2017-03-09, 06:43 PM
Also make sure to let us know how it goes!