PDA

View Full Version : Lowest cr monster with fb

Doomwhispo
2017-03-07, 05:49 AM
Hi guys in looking for some weak monsters with fireball spells. What would be the lowest cr for such a creature? Got any suggestions? If homebrew pls give me a link

Thanks in advance guys!

NNescio
2017-03-07, 05:55 AM
Hi guys in looking for some weak monsters with fireball spells. What would be the lowest cr for such a creature? Got any suggestions? If homebrew pls give me a link

Thanks in advance guys!

Flameskull? CR4.

Also based on NPCs from modules, the MM and Volo, 5th level NPC spellcasters are only CR2 (assuming player races, or races that are not too monstrous). Tbey are not built like normal PC classes though, and are usually weaker than an equivalent level PC class. Most notably they generally suck at making concentration saves.

This can still be bullcrap if the DM optimizes their spell selection, which technically doesn't modify their CR. Fireball (average damage 28, 14 on save), for example, will most likely result in a TPK at Level 2.

18th level spellcasters like the Archmage or the Archdruid are even worse. CR 12. They are... usable at their CR if you don't touch their spells though.

(*NPC spellcasters are somewhat unfair anyway since they usually start with full spell slots and have no incentive to ration their spell use unlike PC spellcasters. Use them in moderation.)

Addaran
2017-03-07, 09:55 AM
(*NPC spellcasters are somewhat unfair anyway since they usually start with full spell slots and have no incentive to ration their spell use unlike PC spellcasters. Use them in moderation.)

DMing PotA which have lots of caster, i also noticed that. You have to be careful not to just spam your highest lvl spells or the spellcaster becomes way stronger. And if there's a bunch of them, the nova they can do is insane... not a very fair fight.