PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Inverted Spell and other Sorcerer Metamagic Shenanigans

Beechgnome
2017-03-07, 09:50 AM
That Lore Master UA bugged me with how they handed out weird powers to the Wizard that seemed more like metamagic, and it got me thinking about what weird spell-shifting Metamagic might work for the Sorcerer, yet still be balanced. A couple of these (Mastered, Inverted) also tackle the issue of too few spells for the sorcerer.

I had a look at some of the other Metamagic homebrews on the forum, and with the exception of Elemental, which I wanted to take a crack at, I think these all cover new ground. But let me know if you've seen these before.

I'd also like to add Metamagic specific to each Sorcerer Origin, like how the Warlock UA had invocations specific to patrons, but I'm still working on those.

Anyway, please let me know what you think re: interest and balance.

That is, do you like them enough to potentially choose these over favourites like Quickened, Twinned or Subtle, and are they balanced enough or do they potentially 'break' the game. (Recognizing that to some, Quickened breaks the game already).

Metamagic

Elemental Spell

When you cast a spell that does acid, cold, fire, lightning or thunder damage, you may spend a number of sorcery points equal to the spell’s level to replace the damage type with a different elemental damage type.

If you are changing the spell damage to a type that matches your elemental affinity (see table), then you can reduce the cost by 1 sorcery point (minimum 1). If you are changing the spell damage away from your elemental affinity, the cost increases by 1 sorcery point.

(Sea and Storm sorcerers have two elemental affinities. If they change from one to another, the cost remains equal to the spell’s level.)

Elemental affinity

Acid: Draconic (Black, Copper)
Cold: Draconic (Silver, White), Sea
Fire: Draconic (Brass, Gold, Red), Phoenix
Lightning: Draconic (Blue, Bronze), Sea, Storm
Thunder: Storm

Insidious Spell

When you cast a spell that forces creatures to make an Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma saving throw to resist its effects, you can alter the flow of the magic to strike them in an unexpected way. You can spend a number of sorcery points equal to the spell’s level to require a different saving throw from among Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma.

Mastered Spell

You choose one spell you know and master control of it. The spell no longer counts against your limits of spells known. You may also spend a number of sorcery points equal to the spell’s level + 1 to cast this spell without using any of your spell slots.

You can use your Mastered Spell in combination with another Metamagic option during the casting of the spell.

You may also select this metamagic option more than once, selecting a different spell each time.

Overwhelming Spell

When you cast a spell that forces creatures to make a Strength, Dexterity or Constitution saving throw to resist its effects, you can change the force of the magic to strike them in an unexpected way. You can spend a number of sorcery points equal to the spell’s level to require a different saving throw from among Strength, Dexterity and Constitution.

And, finally, Inverted Spell, which goes on for a bit...

Inverted Spell

You choose two spells of 3rd level or lower from your known spells that have inverted versions (see list).

You may spend 2 sorcery points when you cast the spell to invert it, changing the magic as you weave to produce an entirely different effect, and follow all of the rules of casting the new spell.

For example, when you invert Chromatic Orb, you instead cast Absorb Elements, though you can still only cast it as a reaction.

These inverse spells don’t count against your limit on spells known, and in some cases - as in the example of Absorb Elements - include spells not normally available to a sorcerer.

In some cases, the inverted pairs of spells are different levels - such as Darkness and Daylight. In these cases, when you cast one of these spells and invert it, you must cast it at the higher spell level. So, in the example of Darkness and Daylight, if you wished to invert Darkness to Daylight, you need to use at least a 3rd level spell slot. Likewise, any Daylight spell inverted into Darkness would cast Darkness at at least 3rd level.

If you change your spells known as you advance in levels, your inverted spells will also change too.

Inverted spells

*Spell not normally available to Sorcerers.
+Spell only normally available to Favored Souls
~Spell pairs that are at different levels.

1st level

Shield & Magic missile
Sleep & Alarm*
Chromatic orb & Absorb elements*
Jump & Feather fall
Bless+ & Bane+
Cure wounds+ & Inflict wounds+

2nd level

Knock & Arcane lock*
Shatter & Silence+
Levitate & Earthbind
Invisibility & See invisibility
Gust of Wind & Fog Cloud~

3rd level

Haste & Slow
Daylight & Darkness~
Fireball & Tidal Wave*
Clairvoyance & Nondetection*
Bestow curse+ Remove curse+

Jorgumander
2017-03-13, 10:35 PM
These are fun! Always nice to see metamagic love for the Sorcs. I especially like the uniqueness of Inverted Spell.

freeWeemsy
2017-03-14, 05:30 PM
These are good! What I especially like about the inverted spell is that you stick to existing 5e spells/conventions. It makes it read a lot more like something you would read in unearthed arcana, rather than a fan made concept. Good stuff!

Beechgnome
2017-03-14, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

My idea was to capture some of that old feel from 1E, where many spells were reversible (Like Cure/Inflict wounds). In 5e, the only spells I can think of that keep that are Enlarge/reduce and Antipathy/Sympathy.

Plus, I wanted a way through metamagic to grant a couple bonus spells, because, well sorcerers could use them.

Beechgnome
2017-03-16, 07:20 AM
Now that I take a second look, a few more spells have their inverted selves from 1E baked in:

Create or Destroy Water
Detect Evil or Good
Protection from Evil or Good
Dispel Evil and Good
Control Water (Lower water and its opposite, plus more)
Transmute Rock (mud to rock and its reverse)

Another pair that occurs to me is:

Fear Calm Emotions*
and maybeI think Earthbind should be paired with Fly, not Levitate.

If anyone can think of any other pairs, let me know. I've avoided higher level pairs because there are fewer spells and you really start stretching, but obviously the Heal and Harm cleric spells used to also be opposites.

LeonBH
2017-03-16, 08:29 AM
Fear and Calm Emotions don't exactly come up as opposites, because Calm Emotions can negate other spells too like Suggestion, Hypnotic Pattern, Phantasmal Killer, etc. The names contrast nicely though.

A high level match-up (7th level) is Forcecage/Teleport.

A higher level match-up (8th level), whose names contrast nicely, is Mind Blank/Feeblemind.

Easy 6th level inverted spells:
Investiture of Fire/Investiture of Ice
Investiture of Stone/Investiture of Wind

5th level spells (but aren't inside their spell list, they just invert nicely):
Swift Quiver/Banishing Smite

Other pairs:
Sleep/Dream
Animate Objects/Raise Dead
Scrying/Nondetection

Some of those were already used in your Inverted Spell list though.

Beechgnome
2017-03-16, 09:20 AM
Fear and Calm Emotions don't exactly come up as opposites, because Calm Emotions can negate other spells too like Suggestion, Hypnotic Pattern, Phantasmal Killer, etc. The names contrast nicely though.

Yes, Fear might match up better with Heroism cast as a 3rd level spell, though I was trying to avoid spell pairs that had more than a one level leap.

A high level match-up (7th level) is Forcecage/Teleport.

Easy 6th level inverted spells:

I like these. Maybe I can expand it beyond 3rd level, but maybe with a greater cost for levels above 3rd.

(Keeping in mind that at least one spell needs to be on the sorcerer list, which unfortunately rules out Feeblemind/Mind Blank, and that the sorcerer spell should be the higher level spell where the pairs are of different level).

Something like these:

4th
Greater Invisibility/Locate Creature*
Blight/Plant growth*(3rd level)
Wall of Fire/Wall of Water*(3rd level)

5th
Wall of Stone/Passwall*
Disintegrate/Wall of Force*
Immolation/Maelstrom*

6th