PDA

View Full Version : Reincarnation screwed up my planned thrower build; need an alternate now

PangolinPie
2017-03-07, 11:24 AM
Long story short; halfling follower, planned swashbuckler/sneak attack fighter/master thrower/whisperknife build. Follower dies but gets reincarnated on random table as a female half elf, whisperknife is halfling only, was going to head into it next level but now can't. What do?

Considering just finishing her out with Scout and Swift Ambusher if I can't think of anything better. Open to being more versatile outside of the original specific "thrower" concept. Also currently dumping a great deal of loot on new gear as well.

Currently has point blank shot, precise shot, weapon focus (dagger) and two weapon fighting and next feat will be daring outlaw. Current level of 11.

Also no ToB or Psionics; GM like to stay to more core rules within the "complete" books and other standard supplements but is willing to be open minded.

the_david
2017-03-07, 12:30 PM
Well, mentally your follower is still a halfling, and although he has the appearance of a half-elf now his friends and family might still see him as a halfling.
That's about as good an excuse I can make for letting him take levels in Whisperknife.

One alternative is a sidequest to turn him back into a halfling. (With a Wish or Miracle spell.)

Segev
2017-03-07, 01:36 PM
I'd try to talk the GM into letting her in anyway. Or using alter self to be the right race long enough to get the first level.

PangolinPie
2017-03-07, 02:16 PM
Well, mentally your follower is still a halfling, and although he has the appearance of a half-elf now his friends and family might still see him as a halfling.
That's about as good an excuse I can make for letting him take levels in Whisperknife.

One alternative is a sidequest to turn him back into a halfling. (With a Wish or Miracle spell.)

I'd try to talk the GM into letting her in anyway. Or using alter self to be the right race long enough to get the first level.

Nah, you see I'm a fan of adapting to new situations and letting the chips fall where they may. It adds an interesting challenge and keeps things unpredictable. I mean my main character who this guy is a follower of started out as a dwarf barbarian who also got reincarnated and ended up a Gnome, but I just went with it and worked with the new situation, ending up with a really fun character in the end.

Plus the inherent humor of a small sized male becoming a medium sized female in regards to roleplay is just hilarious. Like how he now has to look down to see his liege he once both figuratively and literally looked "up" too but his view is partially obscured by a prominent bustline while his liege must now wrestle with awkwardness regarding his protege XD

"I swear if I hear innapropriate noises coming from your bed again tonight, you won't see daylight m'boy"

Chaos theory is fun ;)

Point is with what I have so far, there has to be some worthwhile options out there for a medium sized dual dagger wielder; thrown or otherwise.

i feel like I should also point out that I'm that guy with the character using the homebrewed "grill master" PRSC https://www.box.com/s/5cgrz0a36r09jnhtzror and my follower is meant to be my sous chef, a master of knives and blades with surgical precision for both battle and food prep. If that helps at all with your mental images.

PangolinPie
2017-03-07, 08:03 PM
I'm starting to feel like Invisible Blade may fit the bill as a sous chef/butcher especially with the "bleeding wound" class feature...it's a rare rogue-ish PRSC that focuses more on battle prowess/skill rather than being a scoundrel.

That's the issue here; my follower isn't a thief, assassin, scoundrel, cutthroat or pirate...which is why I used sneak attack fighter rather than rogue in his build. He's just a master of knives and a dedicated chef/butcher....

He...or rather she as played by our GM is a totally no nonsense straightforward bluntly honest and honorable protege...he only has sneak attack as a side product to his life so far. But his skill with small blades is unprecedented.

Segev
2017-03-08, 10:50 AM
Play up (now) her anatomical knowledge of the butchered carcasses she deals with. When she sneak attacks, she's making butchery cuts.

Invisible blade's "sneaky" abilities are all explainable along these lines, even the quick draw. Maybe she's very showy as a butcher, making anime-esq fast-draw and rapid-cut movements.

PangolinPie
2017-03-13, 02:34 PM
Play up (now) her anatomical knowledge of the butchered carcasses she deals with. When she sneak attacks, she's making butchery cuts.

Invisible blade's "sneaky" abilities are all explainable along these lines, even the quick draw. Maybe she's very showy as a butcher, making anime-esq fast-draw and rapid-cut movements.

Exactly what I was thinking. It's good roguish PRSC choice without playing up the scoundrel angle too much.