PDA

View Full Version : Kenku Mastermind

ebbisis
2017-03-07, 11:49 AM
Hi,

I was thinking about creating a Kenku mastermind (rogue) with a level in knowledge cleric. I have just noticed however, that the Kenku race trait has a mimic ability as well as the mastermind archetype also having a similar ability , however the mastermind mimic requires no deception roll and works after 1 minute.
Would one override the other? Would this come under the domain of specific beats general? Or could they coexist in some form?

Thanks!

Naanomi
2017-03-07, 12:04 PM
Make sure to be a Charlatan for extra forgery goodness!

Idkwhatmyscreen
2017-03-07, 12:14 PM
Hi,

I was thinking about creating a Kenku mastermind (rogue) with a level in knowledge cleric. I have just noticed however, that the Kenku race trait has a mimic ability as well as the mastermind archetype also having a similar ability , however the mastermind mimic requires no deception roll and works after 1 minute.
Would one override the other? Would this come under the domain of specific beats general? Or could they coexist in some form?

Thanks!

Logically they would stack. You can use your Kenku mimic ability for the first minute and then roll over to the cleaner mastermind ability once that minute is up.

Your main risk may be the Kenku fluff that says you cannot be creative

ebbisis
2017-03-07, 01:05 PM
That sounds about right. I will have to be creative for my kenku character about how he gets the necessary sound bytes. Also a lot of conversion is like a recorded monologue e.g 'how was your day? Was the weather OK? Did you hear about the new shop in town?' Or answers such as 'good to hear, I didn't expect that, that's really interesting please go on'.

Charlatan was not one I saw , but looks good. I was thinking sage so I can have ALL the languages (well 11 with linguist)

Naanomi
2017-03-07, 01:09 PM
That sounds about right. I will have to be creative for my kenku character about how he gets the necessary sound bytes. Also a lot of conversion is like a recorded monologue e.g 'how was your day? Was the weather OK? Did you hear about the new shop in town?' Or answers such as 'good to hear, I didn't expect that, that's really interesting please go on'.

Charlatan was not one I saw , but looks good. I was thinking sage so I can have ALL the languages (well 11 with linguist)
Pay people to have conversations in front of you during your down time, in a variety of accents and the like?

ebbisis
2017-03-07, 06:08 PM
Ahhh yes , I could even pay skilled actors and hire a director. Of course I would have to keep it secret for my kenku... And the rest of the party , meybe just one or 2 choice thespians (for quality control purposes) and well they have to bring their muses along...

3 days later I have an exclusive stage show booked out to the rafters, the lead actor is missing and apparently the barbarian with a dump stat in charisma is the only one who will do!

Erys
2017-03-07, 06:13 PM
A Kenku Mastermind!

Best. Oxymoron. Ever.

Have fun.