PDA

View Full Version : Software for managing character sheets buffs, effects, etc.

Hiro Quester
2017-03-07, 11:54 AM
Our group is coming to the end of a two year campaign, and will be starting another in a few months. We have been using a laptop program to manage characters, that has a fairly efficient way of managing character effects, too.

I'm wondering what else there is out there that might also do a similar job.

That is, should we renew our $15/year subscriptions for this product, or look around for something else?

We have been using The Only Sheet (http://theonlysheet.com) to manage our characters. It's Excel-based (with macros) so fairly accessible. One version works for 3.5/PF and another for 5. We use 3.5.

At the cost of having laptops at the table (with the inherent distractions that might present) it enables players to automate the effects of buff spells, magic items, class abilities, ability damage, and so on; it automatically adjusts the character's stats, saves, attack rolls and skill bonuses on the fly as buffs are cast and expire, etc.taking into account what bonuses stack and don't.

It also automates the effects (changes to physical stats, weapons, skills checks, etc.) of my druid PC wildshaping into different creatures.

So once the relevant spells and items are entered, our attack roll, saving throw, skill check bonus, etc. can just be read off the sheet, and adjusted on the fly.

The DM has a special sheet that brings all the players' character sheets together; enabling him to manage our characters (e.g. for balance and appropriate challenges) know what spells we have prepared, what our skills check bonuses are (so he can roll in secret and doesn't have to have players know they just failed a spot check, etc.).

Has anyone else used this or something like it? It seems worth $15/year to me.

But it seems prudent to ask if there are other products out there that help do this kind of thing, that we should also check out before renewing our subscriptions?

Delwugor
2017-03-07, 12:15 PM
I have used the free PCGen back when playing 3.5 characters. http://pcgen.org/
It's fairly bulky, slow, awkward and difficult to manage customization, but it does get the job done for no cost. The latest version works with 5E, though you have to work with the limited SRD data.

There is also Hero Labs, which is supposed to be very good, but steeply priced at $30 per. http://www.wolflair.com/index.php?context=hero_lab

I have used other misc Excel sheets for 3.5, Mathfinder and 5E. None of them stellar, but generally get the job done for me.

FWIW, if you are fine with the current sheets you use and don't mind the $15. I'd stick with what you know and have worked with.

Stealth Marmot
2017-03-07, 01:49 PM
Roll20 actually keeps sheets to. They aren't too convenient, but it's free and if you use it anyway they can be accessed pretty much everywhere.

RiTz21
2017-03-07, 02:27 PM
That is, should we renew our $15/year subscriptions for this product, or look around for something else?

Our Pathfinder Group has been using TOS+ for many years and we use little side-tables for the laptops, so as to leave room on the table for the Maps and minis (and the BEER and the CHIPS :D :D )

According to the TOS website, the renewal rate for 1 year is $12, not $15 (which comes to $1 per month).
You have other time options, like the 6 months option, and the two years option.

The best renewal option is for 2 years ($20), which comes to $0.75 per month ($20 / 24 months).

RiTz21

Hiro Quester
2017-03-07, 03:08 PM
The best renewal option is for 2 years ($20), which comes to $0.75 per month ($20 / 24 months).

RiTz21

Oh, right. I think we got a group discount of $15/2 yrs because we have a larger organization (5 different gaming groups).

Firest Kathon
2017-03-08, 10:19 AM
I love Hero Lab, but it's really expensive. For Pathfinder, the basic $20 only gets you the core rulebook, but you have to pay extra for additional content from other books. You only pay once, though, it's not a monthly fee. Some 3rd party content, especially the stuff from Dreamscarred Press, is available for free through a community package (http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=51966).

Hiro Quester
2017-03-08, 11:06 AM
ToS only starts with the core SRD stuff too.

But you don't have to pay extra for other rulebooks. It's possible to custom-create all feats, spells, items, etc from other sources. And there are many generous, diligent, and clever users sharing their custom creations.

I'm playing a druid, for example, which can be very calculation-heavy. But the automated wildshape changes implementation was such a custom creation by another user.

I also use spells and items from several rulebooks. Most have been easy to find from user created add-ons. And others I have been able to easily create myself with just a little knowledge of excel formulas (most using little more than IF... Then... conditionals).

It's starting to look like The Only Sheet is still the better option for our purposes.

Firest Kathon
2017-03-08, 12:27 PM
Oh, Hero Labs also allows you to create anything, if you spare the effort. I don't know about sharing your custom creations though as far as they duplicate data packs which Wolflair sells themseves.