PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [Ninja Archetype] Dawn Walker

Xuldarinar
2017-03-07, 04:48 PM
Dawn Walker (Ninja)
While most tread in shadow, there are those who have come to walk a different path, one that uses blinding light.

Radiance of Dawn (Su): At 1st level, a dawn walker forever rejects the darkness to become able to hide in the light. A dawn walker always appears to be standing in bright light regardless of the actual light level of their surroundings. This effect does not actually result in an increase in the light level around them, but a dawn walker does treat light levels differently from most;

Darkness: In areas of darkness, a dawn walker can be seen clearly even by creatures lacking darkvision and low-light vision. A dawn walker cannot use Stealth in an area of darkness unless they are invisible or have cover. This remains true even in Deeper Darkness.
Dim Light: Same as darkness.
Normal Light: In areas of normal light, a dawn walker can make a Stealth check to conceal themselves.
Bright Light: In areas of bright light, a dawn walker effectively has total concealment.

This ability replaces poison use.

Just a concept I wanted to throw out there. I know it isn't exactly balanced, and a great deal of work would need taken in order to set everything right with it, but I was inspired and its been nagging at me for a while. Perhaps in the right setting it would work wonderfully.

Kaskus
2017-03-07, 09:25 PM
I kind of like the concept of anti-stealth. Perhaps they enhance the light levels around them so I'm bright light it can be overwhelming. Maybe you could turn the tables on sneak attack and give them bonuses of the are the focus of the opponent specifically. When you are the only combatant threatening a single opponent who is aware of your presence...

GalacticAxekick
2017-03-07, 09:37 PM
Ah, yes. A class fit to face the evil that. is. Aku. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmkxsQnNujI)

inuyasha
2017-03-07, 10:41 PM
This is a strange, and awesome idea. I'm glad to see a ninja archetype, because alternate-class archetypes are pretty rare

The ability to flip-flop the light conditions for only yourself is cool and flavorful, but I feel like it should have some sort of per-day limit, probably in minutes per level per day because it's kind of niche.

Xuldarinar
2017-03-08, 11:04 AM
I kind of like the concept of anti-stealth. Perhaps they enhance the light levels around them so I'm bright light it can be overwhelming. Maybe you could turn the tables on sneak attack and give them bonuses of the are the focus of the opponent specifically. When you are the only combatant threatening a single opponent who is aware of your presence...

Thats an interesting idea.. Kind of mix Sneak Attack with the Cavalier's challenge ability? I'll have to think on this one

As a side note, I was thinking of making it so certain ninja tricks were unavailable, some were changed (shadow turned to light), and maybe throw in a few new. Hard to say though.

Ah, yes. A class fit to face the evil that. is. Aku. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmkxsQnNujI)

And you see where I got the idea. Thank you.

This is a strange, and awesome idea. I'm glad to see a ninja archetype, because alternate-class archetypes are pretty rare

The ability to flip-flop the light conditions for only yourself is cool and flavorful, but I feel like it should have some sort of per-day limit, probably in minutes per level per day because it's kind of niche.

I had considered the x/day limit, but at the same time I feel allowing them to stealth normally save for in a certain state almost defeats the thematic purpose. I'd have to think on this though. You make a good point so it is worth consideration.