PDA

View Full Version : Meta Magic question

alex1g
2017-03-07, 05:23 PM
Question is whether the metamagic feat tied to 1 spell or all spells. For example I max my fireball only or can I apply max to every spell that is allowable.

EvulOne
2017-03-07, 05:31 PM
You pick ahead of time what spell will be affected with what metamagic feat (ex. Fireball with Enlarge) which would then cost a 4th level spell slot I believe rather than a 3rd level spell.

MesiDoomstalker
2017-03-07, 05:37 PM
You pick ahead of time what spell will be affected with what metamagic feat (ex. Fireball with Enlarge) which would then cost a 4th level spell slot I believe rather than a 3rd level spell.

This is true, but I don't think that was the OP's question. When you select Maximized Metamagic Feat, you don't have to specify which spell you will be maximizing. You do so when you prepare spells (for prepared spellcasters), or cast them (for spontaneous). Note that most Metamagic feats don't have any prerequisites. A pure Fighter can take Metamagic, in preparation for taking levels in Wizard for a Gish build.

flappeercraft
2017-03-07, 05:37 PM
It can be applied to any spell it is elegible for, you only need to adjust the spell slot to use it and done.

alex1g
2017-03-07, 06:08 PM
So the answer is that a meta magic feat is not tied to 1 specific spell then. If I have maximized spell feat I can max all spells that allowed to be maximized.

flappeercraft
2017-03-07, 07:43 PM
So the answer is that a meta magic feat is not tied to 1 specific spell then. If I have maximized spell feat I can max all spells that allowed to be maximized.

Yes, you just need to be able to adjust the spell slot to a spell level you can cast

EvulOne
2017-03-08, 04:34 PM
Ahh misunderstood. I should have read it better.