PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A [3.5] Chaining Steeldance spell

Nicochau
2017-03-07, 05:58 PM
Question: can Steeldance (S/W 3) be chained to affect multiple pairs of daggers?

Example:
Sorcerer level 20, with a Charisma of 30, could chain a Steeldance spell on 20 pairs of daggers.

Which means that the mentioned sorcerer could have 40 x (daggers attacking with +30 attack bonus and dealing 1d4 + 10 damage points) fighting for him with just one spell.

My 11 year old came up with the question, I was not able to find a reason why it would not work. I must be missing something... :smallfrown:

Follow-up question: would each pair of dagger occupy a character space in the battlefield?

Technetium43
2017-03-07, 05:59 PM
Nope. Chain Spell specifically works on spells that have 'A Single Target'. Steeldance's target line is 'Two Daggers', and thus, not a single target, so it can't be Chained.

Temotei
2017-03-07, 06:07 PM
Nope. Chain Spell specifically works on spells that have 'A Single Target'. Steeldance's target line is 'Two Daggers', and thus, not a single target, so it can't be Chained.

That said, the imagery is cool enough that I'd probably allow it.

EDIT: The blades are treated as medium-sized animated objects, so yes, they each take up a space as a medium animated object.

Nicochau
2017-03-07, 06:16 PM

Good point! Thx!

Dagroth
2017-03-07, 06:20 PM
Under the "technically" clause... If the pairs of daggers were attached to each other somehow (by a length of wire, etc.) then they would be a single target. :smallbiggrin:

Nicochau
2017-03-07, 06:21 PM
That said, the imagery is cool enough that I'd probably allow it.

EDIT: The blades are treated as medium-sized animated objects, so yes, they each take up a space as a medium animated object.

I agree, I can see the Sorcerer sending a flow of animated daggers on his foes. Very cool!

Probably a bit over-powered for a 6th level spell slot though.

OldTrees1
2017-03-07, 06:32 PM
Under the "technically" clause... If the pairs of daggers were attached to each other somehow (by a length of wire, etc.) then they would be a single target. :smallbiggrin:

Further under the "technically" clause...
Chain spell doesn't care if the target is a single target. It cares if the spell says it targets a single target. Technically the spell could lie and chain spell would be fine with it.

Karnith
2017-03-07, 06:33 PM
To achieve a similar effect, there is the Wu Jen/Complete Arcane version of Dancing Blade, which is eligible to be Chained. It is also in the "check with your DM" category, though, because Player's Handbook II (a later sourcebook) has an updated, non-Wu-Jen version of Dancing Blade which is touch-range and therefore ineligible to be Chained.

SangoProduction
2017-03-08, 12:10 AM
I assume that you can't apply any sneak attack (/etc) that you have to the blades? (IE. The blades aren't you, so they don't gain your SA?)