PDA

View Full Version : Ride of the Rat Bastards: Planetfall

Blackhawk748
2017-03-07, 06:57 PM
The roar of the dropship fades away as it settles into its hangar berth in the city of Kesa on Kamose 5. The ride was smooth, so smooth you're surprised you are in an active warzone. Especially a warzone apparently teeming with Orks, if the briefing was to be believed. You unlatch yourself from the seats and the Kubwa seem restless to get out.

You can see the hangar proper from out the ramp and its filled with guardsmen of various descriptions. You can see what looks like a CO surrounded by Administratum Adepts standing by the entrance to the hangar. You also see a fair amount of Fusiliers hanging about inside the hangar, and from what you've heard there is no love lost between them and your Regiment.

Its character intro time!

Donan
2017-03-08, 02:38 AM
Matthias walked in a circle, wincing and cracking his neck after the ride. "That's the first Emperor damned time we've been shoved in one of these things without anyone spewing up rations." The medic walked over to his Kubwa, patting her muzzle. "Things to kill soon enough girl. We're in the thick of it, one more time." He looked to the rest of his squad, focusing on Sergeant Rennac in particular. "I reckon you all know who I am. Name of Matthias, the one who'll keep your guts inside where they belong. Hold still when I'm working on you or I'll have to cuff you upside the head.

Ah, and Sarge."

He jerked his thumb in the general direction of the Fusiliers. "That's gonna cause my first job of the day, if things get ****ed up."

TankLaser007
2017-03-08, 04:00 AM
Faris went immediately to check on Kiowas, with practised hands he quickly brushed her down, unfurled her numnah and placed it along her spine before lifting and attaching her saddle. He unpacked his lance attaching a stun head to its haft and preceded to ready the rest of Kiowas' tack and gear making sure her barding, saddle bags and saddle was completely secured and ready. He slid his carbine into its holster on his mount, putting the battered sword its sheath opposite, he double checked his lance head quiver as well. He donned his flak vest and pulled himself onto his Kubwa's back with a slight press of his thighs and a "Dee, dee" Kiowas padded out of her berth and the two made their way towards the exit ramp.

He saw the medic. Mathias. He nodded to him as he made his way through the assembled guardsmen. Faris looked in the direction that Mathias had indicated and saw a group of men in spotless and brightly coloured uniforms, their foppish attire and smug asinine expressions clearly signified them as the Kubwa cursers. The young nomad activated his lance's charge and the sound of the weapon's power cell and machine spirit flare to life was clearly heard in the bay, a slight smell of ozone accompanied the activation as the air around the head became ionized. Firas looked at the other members of his regiment to see if they too were ready battle as Kiowas's claws clicked in the duraplast coating of the bay as she shifted in place knowing that the activation of the lance usually meant they were about to attack.

qechua
2017-03-08, 10:05 AM
Leading his Kubwa out of the dropship, Murali took a moment to take in the air around him. It had a slightly lighter feel than the ship they'd called home since leaving Traxis VII. The trip had been enjoyable, taking the opportunity to make himself at home as they plodded to their next deployment. Amasec had been drunk, card games had been played, and Murali smiled as he thought of the effect he must be having on morale. It had been a shame it had been cut short, although given his military enlistment, any break was a welcome one.

His new squad were busy making introductions, a good mix of veterans and recruits them all. He sauntered over, the reins slowly slackening as his mount took in their new world. He was in no hurry, so allowed the Kubwa it's moment. Noting the medics words and the young Faris lining himself up, Murali decided to add his calming presence to the situation. Last thing they needed was another drop site altercation.

I wouldn't worry, Matthias, those folk over there aren't about to be any trouble, not while I'm around!

Murali boomed laughter for several seconds, before settling down, looking around the faces new and old and continuing.

For those that don't know me, I'm Murali Mohan. Yes, that Corporal Mohan. My legend no doubt preceeds me, and you too can earn a legend like mine. All you need do is fight hard, and treat the medic like you'd treat the Emperor Himself, because those two people are the ones who get to decide when your time is up!

A brief pause, then booming laughter again before settling once more, somewhat akin to waves breaking on a shoreline.

Serg, shall we get settled in? I don't think we're camping on the drop pad again.

Morovir
2017-03-08, 03:21 PM
Piotr checked his meltagun for the fourth time since arriving in the hangar. Despite the extensive modifications already made to it, it wasn't a touch on his old one, which had truly been an God-Emperor-blessed weapon. Having done this, he walked his Kubwa over to join the rest of his squad. He ignored the Fusiliers also within the hangar, but tightened his grip on his meltagun as he walked, with a quiet prayer to the God-Emperor on his lips.

He finished his prayer as he reached the squad, nodded respectively to the sergeant and the medic, and patted his Kubwa gently. He did not join in the laughter created by the boisterous corporal. If the God-Emperor decreed that he would die, the actions of a medic would not change anything. He was correct in presuming that his legend had preceded him, however, though if rumours were true, it was nothing more than a legend.

Returning his gaze to his meltagun, he proceeded to check it for the fifth time.

CrimsonKnight
2017-03-09, 12:12 AM
For a moment, Nadia only stared at her new squad, though a nervous tic at the corner of her mouth and her tightening fist hinted at the tension underneath. After a moment, she relaxed and sighed, focusing briefly on Faris.

"Private Jaruz is your name, yes? Secure that shock lance and stow it promptly. Preferably BEFORE our new CO at the other end of the hanger sees you waving it around. The rest of you, I am your new squad leader, Sgt. Nadia Rennac. You're all veterans and survivors of Traxis VII, so I'll skip the usual first-timer morale speech. I only have three simple rules: do your jobs, follow orders, and try not to get me or yourselves in trouble. And in return, I will do everything humanly possible to keep you alive and not receiving the shortest end of the stick.

Anyway, just stand by for a moment and make sure all your gear is in order while I check in with the CO and get our orders. And stay away from the warp-damned Fusiliers. Don't think I don't hate the bloody nobs even more than you, I was there in the regiment when the whole business started, and if they try jumping you, you jump them the hell back and make them regret it. But if any of you intentionally pick a fight with them, you can expect to be on Kubwa waste cleanup until we leave this rock."

With that, she handed off her Kubwa's reins to the lanky private who'd been standing to her side and headed over towards the officer surrounded by a crowd of adepts, preemptively steering well clear of the clusters of Fusiliers. Once she was sure she had the Colonel's attention, she snapped her boots together, back ramrod straight, and performed a sharp salute.

"Sir! Sgt. Rennac and squad from the 68th Bustalian, reporting for duty."

Donan
2017-03-09, 02:45 AM
Matthias nodded, snapping a salute. It was a touch informal, but it was there. "I'd rather not need to be patching people back together before we've even.." He paused,drawing in a slightly ragged breath and rubbing his chest. "Dammit.. Anyway, yeah. Try not to get shot.." He added, a little more quietly.

He pointed at Murali, a faint grin showing. "I don't decide a damned thing man. I'll keep you alive as long as Him on Terra wills it. After that, you're in His hands. Try not to die on your first day out, but get a nice, serous wound if you can." He leans against his kubwa, patting her hide. "Does my reputation good if I patch up a decent scrape or two."

TankLaser007
2017-03-09, 04:12 AM
Faris powers down the lance and rests the the butt in in his right stirrup with the deactivated head pointed skywards, he throws his right leg across the back of the saddle, his right hand gripping the lance's haft he idly scratches Kiowas behind her ear with his left as he sits watching the Sgt. make her way to the commander.

The sooner they could get back to work the better, he was eager to be out of this LZ and out in the open. He wondered why the Sgt seemed to think collecting Kubwa droppings was a punishment, he was confused. Didn't she know that once pressed and dried it burned longer and hotter than most woods. How else were they to make recaff if not for Kubwa spoor?

qechua
2017-03-09, 06:37 AM
Turning to face Matthias, Murali looked him square in the eyes, his face a mass of mean and serious. Then, suddenly, a huge smile once more accompanied by more raucous laughter

I like you Matthias, I think we're gonna get along just fine. The rest of you, make sure you've got all your gear, flyboys don't have no lost and found, and you don't want to get caught short on anything once we hit it hard.

Blackhawk748
2017-03-09, 06:54 AM
The man Nadia approaches is a giant of a man, and his dark skin makes him stand out even more than his height. At the Sargent's salute, he turns towards and salutes back.

"Welcome Sargent. I'm Colonel Shuja and I'm glad you and your boys are here, outside you will find Lieutenant Sapphron, she will direct you to the rest of the Regiment. Now if you'll excuse me, i have to go fight a Fop for some ammunition."

With a dismissive salute he heads off towards the Fusiliers

CrimsonKnight
2017-03-09, 09:43 PM
Nadia nodded and snapped off another salute before heading back to the squad.

"Alright, we're moving out immediately. Saddle up, and don't forget anything. I doubt we'll be back anytime soon."

She recollected her Kubwa's reins and made sure to give her bags and weapons a quick once-over before mounting up and nudging him forward to lead the squad towards the hanger exit.

TankLaser007
2017-03-09, 11:29 PM
Those were the words Faris had been waiting for, he swung his right leg back into the stirrup while simultaneously moving the butt of the lance to his hip, his thumb rested on the switch that would release the machine spirit and cause the head to charge to life he kept his eyes narrowed on the Fusiliers and with a click of his heels, press of his knees and a harsh "Dee, dee" Kiowas prowled out of the hanger with a coiled Faris on her back.

Donan
2017-03-10, 03:05 AM
Nodding at their Sergeant, Matthias pulled himself on to the back of his own kubwa, checking his equipment, much of which was used to keep the rest of the squad alive, and, satisfied, nudged her forward. "The longer to space travel again the better.." He muttered, glad to leave the hanger behind.

qechua
2017-03-10, 04:00 AM
Murali gave his gear one final once over, accounting particularly for the stringent rations of food and ammunition, then mounted and joined the rear of the squad, checking all angles as they walked, as if expecting an enemy attack. He particularly kept eyes on the various squads of Fusiliers, making sure they didn't do anything stupid as the squad moved out.

Morovir
2017-03-11, 03:46 AM
Checking his gear for the last time, Piotr mounted his kubwa and followed the rest of the squad, deliberately averting his eyes from the Fusiliers as he did so.

Blackhawk748
2017-03-12, 11:25 AM
You all ride out into the Kamosian sunshine. This planet feels a fair bit like your own homeworld, though maybe a few degrees colder. As you leave the hangar you see dozens of Chimeras, Hellhounds, and Sentinels around the staging area, and all of them have the same insignia on it: A white stylized bird supported by two intertwining dragons on a red backdrop. The soldiers with this insignia are all, tall, mostly blonde and largely built, but it is their equipment that most stands out. Their helmets don't look like your typical flak helmet, they instead look like some sort of feudal nasal helm and their flack armor is worn over what looks like tunics. They all have a fine melee weapon of some description, some even have shields to go with them, and what looks like a shotgun slung over their backs.

As you ride through this chaos you see several Kubwas, and a dark skinned woman who must be Lieutenant Sapphron, standing amongst them.

qechua
2017-03-13, 10:50 AM
Maintaining his position at the rear of the squad, Murali allowed his mind to wander slightly, coming up with a number of scenarios in which he could 'liberate' one of the fancy fusilier hats and/or weapons, preferably without the need to clean one. It'd certainly make a good story to tell, waltzing back into base with his mount wearing a fancy hat, as well as doing a fine job of riling up the fusiliers, although that was, of course, an entirely coincidental side effect. Once more, Murali found himself smiling, holding onto the moment as he brought his mount to a halt at their destination.

CrimsonKnight
2017-03-13, 10:16 PM
Nadia eyed the new soldiers with a critical eye as she led the column of riders out of the confined hanger and into the first wide open space and sunlight any of them had seen in months.

Must be the locals. Look impressive enough, though they could very well just be jumped-up PDF with a rich sponsor and delusions of grandeur. No way to know for sure until we reach the battlefield.

She spotter several Kubwa clustered up ahead and waved the rest of the squad towards the officer in the middle of them.

"There, that should be our new lieutenant up ahead. Assemble there. Oh, and try and play nice with the locals. We may need their support if the fops screw over our supply situation like normal, and until we start running patrols, they're also the best source of intel we've got for what we're heading into."

TankLaser007
2017-03-14, 04:07 AM
Permission given to move ahead Firas spurs Kiowas into a light canter overtaking the rest of their squad to see these new Kubwa and their riders, as he nears them he raises his lance in salute. As he rides he scans the area for any dangers or anything of value that may have been discarded or abandoned by others.

Once he reaches the new group he dismounts in a fluid motion bringing his lance but to rest on the ground to his right and gripping the reins of Kiowas in his left hand the two of them, Bustilian and Kubwa stand at perfect attention ready for inspection or instruction,

[roll0] vs. 45 Looking for any signs of danger or unusual people or anything "off" and discarded or abandoned valuables

Morovir
2017-03-23, 02:24 PM
Piotr followed the sergeant at a steady pace, averting his gaze from these new soldiers as he had the Fusiliers, merely raising a hand to ward off the unwelcome glare of the sun that had for so long been absent. When he reached the group, he dismounted, gripping his meltagun with one hand, and saluting the lieutenant with the other.

Blackhawk748
2017-03-29, 05:02 PM
Lt Sapphron returns the salutes, and then turns towards Sgt. Nadia.

"Sergeant, your squad is the last one of my platoon to arrive, your position is at the rear of the column alongside the 5th Armored Fist squad of the Heimelians over there."

She gestures to a a Chimera with an Autocannon turret on it, the muzzle break on the gun is shaped like the mouth of a roaring dragon.

"We will be heading out to camp Delta, also called the Rats Nest. It will take us about 3 days to get there and while we are marching the Heimelians will be serving as out long range anti armor, so you may wanna make friends with them. Oh and one last thing. They hate the Fusileers as much as we do, but they arent shy about starting fights with them. So i dont wann hear about any of you getting dragged into their nonsense. Am i understood?"

After she receives confirmation, she motions for you to take your positions.

qechua
2017-03-30, 05:41 AM
Admiring the tip of the autocannon while mostly paying attention to the Lieutenant, Murali listened to the simple briefing, wondering how he'd ended up in a fight between two regiments in the middle of a fight between the Imperium and her enemies. It passed, fairly quickly, the why was irrelevant, what mattered was what happened next, and how they could see the Fusiliers embarrassed by their new friends without outright harming them. After all, everyone needed a meat shield, and the Fusiliers seems like a fairly good one, what with their bright uniforms.

Still, a three day march, a good amount of time in the saddle was a nice change from being cooped up in a starship, and if they were lucky, they might get a little action along the way.

Waiting for the rest of the group to move out, Murali once more took position at the rear of the squad, both to keep watch and to make sure the newer members stayed in line.

TankLaser007
2017-03-30, 06:41 AM
Faris looks over his shoulder at these Armoured Fists and their noisy big tanks. While true they are much faster and manoeuvrable than many believed, still. when compared to the agility, quiet and speed of well trained and healthy Kubwah they leave much to be desired. He would have to ride up and ahead with any of the other outriders, make sure there were no signs of obvious ambush. ALthough he had never seen then he had heard that Orks were loud and clumsy so he doubted there would be much in the way of subterfuge but it was better to tie your mount in the night then wake up with out it in the morning.

As for who these Fists were the name sounded familiar...

[roll0] vs. 30 do I know anything about the Regiment or their differences with the Fullisers?
[roll1] vs. 45 just looking around the staging area before we leave for anything interesting, of out of place.

Morovir
2017-04-03, 03:00 PM
Piotr kept a steady pace with the Chimera, his eyes constantly scanning their surroundings for any signs of Orkish presence. He disdained the level of ostentation adorning the barrel of the autocannon, reasoning that it was ultimately pointless in its addition to the autocannon's function, but understanding that the Heimelians despised the Fusiliers as much as they did, decided that it would be unwise to say anything. He checked his hunting lance and his meltagun, and continued onward, watchful of both the orks and the Heimelians.