PDA

View Full Version : E6 Good options for non magic Rogue gestalt

Holcane
2017-03-07, 08:57 PM
Looking for some options for an E6 game i'm playing.

Currently progressing as a Rogue and the GM has advised that when you can get a feat normally after reaching level 6 you can instead take a gestalt class.

Any recommendations for something non-magic that would work well with Rogue? RP-wise its a changeling (RoE) that works under the thieves guild.

Was thinking Ranger due to the bonus feats you can get but the spellcasting is a bit of a throw off.

Dagroth
2017-03-07, 09:05 PM
Looking for some options for an E6 game i'm playing.

Currently progressing as a Rogue and the GM has advised that when you can get a feat normally after reaching level 6 you can instead take a gestalt class.

Any recommendations for something non-magic that would work well with Rogue? RP-wise its a changeling (RoE) that works under the thieves guild.

Was thinking Ranger due to the bonus feats you can get but the spellcasting is a bit of a throw off.

Swashbuckler, maybe? If you don't like even Ranger spellcasting, you probably won't want to take Swordsage. Scout is sort-of the outdoors-y Rogue. Errata even gives them Disable Device, since they already have trapfinding.

I don't know how feats like Daring Outlaw or Swift Ambusher work with gestalt, but at the minimum they would increase the effectiveness of your Swashbuckler or Scout abilities.

ATHATH
2017-03-07, 09:07 PM
You could get EVEN MOAR Sneak Attack.

Trickster Spellthief 1/Psychic Rogue 1/Hit-and-Run Tactics Sneak Attack Fighter 1/Something 1 (normally, Rogue would go here, but you already took Rogue levels)/Shadow Thief of Amn (you'll need the Primary Contact feat (from Cityscape) to qualify)/Assassin 1 gets you 5d6 of Sneak Attack (it would have been 6d6, but again, you already took rogue levels). I recommend picking up a few Rogue ACFs on the Rogue side of the gestalt that can let you Sneak Attack and/or do stuff to Sneak Attack-immune creatures; otherwise, you're going to have periods of feast and famine, so to speak.

If you wanted to, you could take the Precocious Spellcaster at first level, gain the Cerebrosis feat without using a feat slot by spending a point of CON and 1,400 GP (IIRC), and take the Versatile Spellcaster feat to get some decent spellcasting stacked onto the build as well.

Don't forget to pick up the Craven feat!

ATHATH
2017-03-07, 09:16 PM
Whoops, forgot about the "non-magic" part there.

Have a handbook: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?156350-3-5-The-Rogue-Handbook-A-Fistful-of-d6

Holcane
2017-03-07, 09:49 PM
Thanks for linking the handbook:

Was looking at Swashbuckler, the D10 HD and full BAB would be great. Intelligence to damage rolls is pretty good, but I don't think it outweighs a bunch of feats and the same BAB and HD from the fighter. I just wanted something a little more exciting than a fighter.

Swordsage was something I was thinking of, but it's a little too over the top for me, kinda loses the fantasy factor and shifts over to a more anime style.

Looking at Spellthief, it actually looks like a great class, anyone played one before?

ATHATH
2017-03-07, 11:09 PM
How does the Daring Outlaw feat (stack Rogue and Swashbuckler levels for determining Sneak Attack damage, the competence bonus on Reflex saves from the grace class feature, and the swashbuckler's dodge bonus to AC) work in Gestalt?

Crake
2017-03-08, 01:50 AM
How does the Daring Outlaw feat (stack Rogue and Swashbuckler levels for determining Sneak Attack damage, the competence bonus on Reflex saves from the grace class feature, and the swashbuckler's dodge bonus to AC) work in Gestalt?

DM of the game here, those feats were intended for multiclassing, not gestalt, and as such they would only work for characters who have those classes multiclassed (stacked atop of one another) rather than gestalted (side by side).

Similar sort of ruling applies for things like precision damage. Only the better progression applies, per side of the gestalt, so if one side has 3d6 and the other side has 4d6, then your sneak attack is only 4d6, not 7d6, basically keeping everything at a reasonable level for level 6 characters. If you somehow manage to stack 6 classes together that all get sneak attack, and squeeze up to 6d6, sure, fine, but then you're only getting the level 1 class features of those classes.

Also, worth noting that I will be using a variant of the "lean upward" approach, where characters with 6 levels in a base class can get feats that will allow them to access higher level class features of those classes, for example, 6 levels in rogue will allow you to work toward getting an advanced rogue talent of your choosing (this is using pathfinder unchained rogue btw), so taking 6 levels in a single gestalt class that has something cool shortly after 6 could be something to think about.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-03-08, 02:43 AM
I'd go for Fighter, considering the E6 Fighter capstone feat allows you to qualify for Melee Weapon Mastery and Improved Critical. Plus it improves your HD and BAB, allowing you to get ITWF for four attacks per round.

You can't really go wrong with Incarnate, or Totemist can get you a ton of natural attacks so BAB won't matter so much.

I'd avoid Spellthief since it won't actually give you any additional sneak attack dice by adding it gestalt with Rogue.

weckar
2017-03-08, 07:10 AM
Well, for a proper gestalt where alike abilities don't stack we need to work out what the Rogue does not have, chassis-wise:

- Full BAB
- Good Fort Save
- Good Will Save
- Shield proficiency
- martial weapon/Med+ armor proficiencies

At the same time, Rogue's good for both class skills and skill points - so unless you're caught in a truly odd environment it should be of no concern.

Paladin would cover nearly all these bases; all but the Will save.

And I am not even sure if a class with a Good Will and Full BAB has even been printed (although the next post will probably let me know).

Grod_The_Giant
2017-03-08, 09:17 AM
And I am not even sure if a class with a Good Will and Full BAB has even been printed (although the next post will probably let me know).
Duskblade and Hexblade? <badumching>

So I guess one useful question is "what kind of stats/feats do you currently have?" If you have a high Int, say, Factotum 3/Swashbuckler 3 would be a great pairing, but not so much if you focused on Cha-- in that case you might take some Marshal instead.

But I dunno, generally decent Rogue gestalts that aren't spellcasters:

Incarnate and Totemist go with everything; Totemist in particular is absolutely brutal at low levels and has great stealth/scouting boosts, while Incarnate has broader skills and better defenses. (Or both; Incarnate 4/Totemist 2 is pretty fantastic and hits all the high points of both classes. Might be too magic for you, though.
Ranger can trade away spellcasting with ACFs in Complete Warrior (utter crap; you'd get fast movement at 6th and nothing else) or Complete Champion (decent; you'd get a bonus feat at 4th). The Cityscape web enhancement (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) has some good stuff for non-wilderness Rangers, including the chance to trade your subpar animal companion for a pumped-up Familiar with all the normal weaknesses rremoved.
Factotum goes well with everything if you have a decent Int score, though it gets a little spellcast-y. Probably don't take the 6th level, which is dead; the 5th and 4th aren't too amazing either, if you don't care about the casting.
Barbarian works with every martial type. Whirling Frenzy works even for archers, Ferocity (Cityscape enhancement again) works for Dex builds, you can get your pounce, your Improved Trip, your beef...
Warlock combos decently well, and isn't terribly casty. You can make sneak attacks with Eldritch Blast, and pump up your Rogue-y-ness with invocations like All-Seeing Eyes, Beguiling Influence, Entropic Warding, See the Unseen, Spiderwalk, Charm, Crawling Eye, Voracious Dispelling, Walk Unseen... you get the idea.
If you've got a good Charisma, Marshal is better than it sometimes gets credit for. I wouldn't take it to 6th, but 1, 3, and 5 levels are all fine dips for getting nice bonuses to skills and checks. Also upgrades your chassis decently, though still a medium BAB.
Fighter is dull, but goes with everything. <Shrug> Grab the Zhentrim Fighter and Drow Fighter ACFs; that gives you decent Intimidate toys and conditional Dex-to-damage with no real losses.
Swashbuckler is excellent for 3 levels and goes downhill in a hurry. Take the Arcane Stunt ACF from Complete Mage if you go that route-- Grace would be even more terrible than usual, and 1+Int rounds of Blur or Spider Climb per day is a much better replacement.

Holcane
2017-03-08, 10:01 PM
Only level 2 at the moment, but in e6, level 6 will creep up fast that's why i'm looking ahead.

I've got two-weapon fighting and weapon finesse as a bonus feat. Stat array is: 10,16,14,15,10,12.

Spell-less Ranger is looking like a good option. Is the 14 Int good enough for Factotum?