PDA

View Full Version : How powerfull are spellcasters in this system

Flik9999
2017-03-07, 11:03 PM
Ok so I currently have an MP system that hasn't worked that well as spellcasters never really run out of MP so I was thinking of making MP per encounter instead of per day.

MP costs for spell
1: 1
2: 2
3: 3
4: 4
5: 5
6: 6

Mp by level
1-3: 2
4-7: 3
8-11: 4
12-15: 5
16-19: 6
20: 7

THE BASICS

With this mp system the spellcaster regains all of their mp after 10 minutes of rest. Effectivly they can cast a few cool spells each fight and their effective power is the same whether they have 1 fight a day or 10.

They also have one 1st level spell that they can cast for free which is normally a basic single target attack spell. But the player may opt to use a weapon and have charm person for example if that suits their character.

Optional: Call upon the void

When a spellcaster has run out of MP they can as a move action call upon the power of the void to grant them some last strength.

Doing so restores half their maximum MP (rounded down) but inflicts 2 levels of fatigue on the spellcaster (That recovers at the usual rate of 1 point per day).

Fatigue

1: -2 to skill checks and attacks
2: slowed
3: -5 to skill checks and attacks
4: dazed and weakened (1/2 dmg)
5: stunned
6: dead

inuyasha
2017-03-08, 12:33 AM
Just wondering, what system is this modifying, and if its any form of D&D/Pathfinder where are spell levels 7-9?

Flik9999
2017-03-08, 06:43 AM
I have basicly remade the wheel its simular to pathfinder/5e/3E but I have built everything from the ground up. I tried an MP system cos I thought it was simpler than having spell slots but it just turns out that people never really cast 3rd or higher level spells cos well 1st and 2nd level spells give you all the crowd control you need.

Spells go up to 5th level normally, each spell level is rarer to find and the progression of spell levels is slower.

Spells level 7-9 are NPC only bad guy stuff.

Knaight
2017-03-08, 08:05 AM
I have basicly remade the wheel its simular to pathfinder/5e/3E but I have built everything from the ground up. I tried an MP system cos I thought it was simpler than having spell slots but it just turns out that people never really cast 3rd or higher level spells cos well 1st and 2nd level spells give you all the crowd control you need.

Spells go up to 5th level normally, each spell level is rarer to find and the progression of spell levels is slower.

Spells level 7-9 are NPC only bad guy stuff.

This suggests that 1st and 2nd level spells are too powerful, crowd control is too powerful, or 3rd and higher level spells are too flimsy. Other than that, there's no commenting on the balance without knowing the specifics.

noob
2017-03-10, 12:40 PM
Can we get a spell list and/or an approximation of what spells of a given level do.
For example it is balanced if level N spells have the exact same effect(and can not possibly do anything else) as the arrows shot by a sharpshooter of the level of the wizard casting the spell.
Or it is unbalanced if your spell-caster can do stuff much better than what the sharpshooter is doing.
However some cool things is that by the rules written in that spell casting system.
1:When you are at 6 of fatigue you come back to life one or two days later(thus allowing to fake death)
(it is due to the "(That recovers at the usual rate of 1 point per day)")
2:At level 20 you can cast at most seven level 1 spells(unless using the special multi-use level 1 spell rule) thus enforcing management and casting more than two level 1 spells prevents you from casting a level 6 spell so you better have interest to either do one round adventuring or wait for situations where spells will make an intense difference and never cast any spell otherwise.(according to the table it is the mp at a given level Not the mp gained at that level so it really means that you need to manage your resources)
(10 minutes or rest happens only if you are in a safe place which means that you can not always do it between two battles unless the universe is really weird or if fighting counts as rest)
3:Since fatigue points disappear automatically over the days you can still cast spells from time to time while never resting.

inuyasha
2017-03-10, 07:39 PM
-1:When you are at 6 of fatigue you come back to life one or two days later(thus allowing to fake death)
(it is due to the "(That recovers at the usual rate of 1 point per day)")-

I really like the way you think. This sounds hilarious... I'm just imagining a wizard dying of fatigue by casting Wish, and then coming back a few days later just saying, "Hehe... suckers!"