PDA

View Full Version : DM Help What can you do at -hp 3.5

finaldooms
2017-03-07, 11:23 PM
Sooo..my monk just got dropped by a trap -.- and he stablized at -1 ...what can he do to get away? Can he crawl without starting to bleed again? Or something?
quick thing about the trap , its triggered by a custom magic ward that if nything moves faster than 5ft a round in this 30ft hall 2 large blades come out of the wall to attack and deal damage

flappeercraft
2017-03-07, 11:25 PM
Anything that is not a Full round action or Standard action he can do with no risk to further harm assuming he is conscious.

Crake
2017-03-07, 11:45 PM
Anything that is not a Full round action or Standard action he can do with no risk to further harm assuming he is conscious.

This is only true if you have the diehard feat. If you do not have the diehard feat, at -1 you are simply unconscious and cannot act in any way.

Venger
2017-03-08, 12:05 AM
Sooo..my monk just got dropped by a trap -.- and he stablized at -1 ...what can he do to get away? Can he crawl without starting to bleed again? Or something?
quick thing about the trap , its triggered by a custom magic ward that if nything moves faster than 5ft a round in this 30ft hall 2 large blades come out of the wall to attack and deal damage

dying characters can't take actions (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#dying)

unless you have beastland ferocity or a diehard-like effect on your guy, he can't do anything

finaldooms
2017-03-08, 12:08 AM
Hmm well this is bad then, he is stuck between 4 traps pretty much and the party cant reach him then..unless they wana eat 2 traps as well which with their rolls...is probly not a good idea

ATHATH
2017-03-08, 12:26 AM
What builds do the rest of the party have? What spells do they have prepared? Are they under time-pressure?

If you have a Wizard/UMD-user, clever use of the Benign Transposition spell (slip two scrolls of it in the next room or something) can put the full-HP fighter-type in the center of the trap instead of the Monk. A Cleric would have access to some ranged healing spells that could bring the Monk out of the negatives. A Druid could probably block the blades with a Blockade spell. A Wall of Sand spell might also be able to do the same thing.

Or you could just have the (presumably incredibly strong) fighter-type hold a stick (or push a bookcase/crate/evil-looking altar/whatever) in front of the shafts of the blades, trigger the trap, then saw off the shafts (of the blades).

Worst case scenario, have the Cleric prepare Revivify, have another character lasso the Monk or something (Telekinesis, perhaps?) and drag him back through the traps. He'll die, but provided that the Cleric can get to him in a round and has the 1,000 GP material component(s) (put some diamonds in the next room), he'll be able to revive him (and the Monk won't take any negative levels or the like!).

Actually, wait a minute- if the party rests, won't the Monk regain hit points? That makes most of the spell ideas above moot, I guess.

finaldooms
2017-03-08, 12:58 AM
I dont know what to press to make a link into words sooo

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?516661-Work-in-progress-(-certain-people-only)&p=21782662#post21782662

This is our ooc thread ..we got half dragon monk, human wizard ( was guna levitate. .but im assuming to much weight), dwarf cleric, human paladin, and a human barb ( who is currently at 9 str due to poison)

The only person who is even slightly optimized is the wizard ( long time player) the rest are to new to really understand it..we had a nice long talk about flaws lol for the first time before doing this phb for the first time ever ....and we literally had just started pretty much ...we havnt even left the 2nd room >> oh and they have roughly 10 mins left before the foe breaks in

SirNibbles
2017-03-08, 01:49 AM
The Half-Dragon Monk is going to die on the very first session. If only he wasn't Half-Dragon and thus had Evasion and better saves!

_

0 HP = disabled (can take either a standard or move action per round but not both)
-1 to -9 HP = unconscious
-10 HP = dead

Diehard allows you to be disabled instead of unconscious.

If you stablize, you're disabled even at negative HP.

Venger
2017-03-08, 02:04 AM
I dont know what to press to make a link into words sooo

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?516661-Work-in-progress-(-certain-people-only)&p=21782662#post21782662

This is our ooc thread ..we got half dragon monk, human wizard ( was guna levitate. .but im assuming to much weight), dwarf cleric, human paladin, and a human barb ( who is currently at 9 str due to poison)

The only person who is even slightly optimized is the wizard ( long time player) the rest are to new to really understand it..we had a nice long talk about flaws lol for the first time before doing this phb for the first time ever ....and we literally had just started pretty much ...we havnt even left the 2nd room >> oh and they have roughly 10 mins left before the foe breaks in

the way you embed links is:
{url=the link you're trying to put} whatever the text you'd like hotlinked {/url}

just use [] instead of {}

so for yours it'd be:
your ooc thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?516661-Work-in-progress-(-certain-people-only)&p=21782662#post21782662)

Khedrac
2017-03-08, 02:27 AM
One thing no-one has mentioned (except in passing) is that you can (and should) roll for stabilization.
Each round on your turn you have a 10% chance to stop bleeding and stabilize. If you fail the roll you lose 1hp (the bleeding) and hope for next round.

The relevant text from the SRD is here (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/injuryAndDeath.html).
Note, making you stable does not bring you conscious unless at 0hp or higher, (technically it does make you able to take actions, but seeing as you are still unconscious, they have to be ones you can take while unconscious).

Venger
2017-03-08, 03:08 AM
One thing no-one has mentioned (except in passing) is that you can (and should) roll for stabilization.
Each round on your turn you have a 10% chance to stop bleeding and stabilize. If you fail the roll you lose 1hp (the bleeding) and hope for next round.

The relevant text from the SRD is here (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/injuryAndDeath.html).
Note, making you stable does not bring you conscious unless at 0hp or higher, (technically it does make you able to take actions, but seeing as you are still unconscious, they have to be ones you can take while unconscious).

that's been addressed already:

Sooo..my monk just got dropped by a trap -.- and he stablized at -1

finaldooms
2017-03-08, 04:14 AM
the way you embed links is:
{url=the link you're trying to put} whatever the text you'd like hotlinked {/url}

just use [] instead of {}

so for yours it'd be:
your ooc thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?516661-Work-in-progress-(-certain-people-only)&p=21782662#post21782662)

Thanks alot!! ...and i figured as much,..welp il tell him tobwrite up a not half dragon now
And see if i can fit him in real quick since we are stillm.early

Firest Kathon
2017-03-08, 05:01 AM
I may have missed something, but I do not see anything preventing the cleric to advance to the monk in 5-ft. steps (one per round), heal him, and (both) move back out with 5-ft. steps. As the monk is stable time is not an issue.

Mordaedil
2017-03-08, 05:24 AM
He is unconscious. That means he can't do jack until he gets magical healing or the party can wait for a few hours and see if he starts healing naturally.

Two traps you say? Did you bring a 10 foot stick? Your cleric could touch you with the tip of it and it will technically count as a touch attack, allowing her to deliver a cure minor wounds spell.

weckar
2017-03-08, 06:09 AM
Two traps you say? Did you bring a 10 foot stick? Your cleric could touch you with the tip of it and it will technically count as a touch attack, allowing her to deliver a cure minor wounds spell. Clerics get spell channeling for free now? :smallconfused:

Also: giggity :smallbiggrin:

finaldooms
2017-03-08, 06:12 AM
There was supposed to be a rogue, so i had already made a path with traps ( its nice in clean in a forgotten secret pass so suspicious ) we suddenly Dont have rogue soo i made a 2nd path real quick and weakened the traps just in case they wanted to try to worj their way through ...traps go pressure plate,5ft,pressure plate, 5ft, then 30 ft hall of blade trap sooo..its actually 25ft down after traps start ( monk jumped over the 2 plates..after setting the first off 2x ..poisioning the barb and weakening him then moving 10ft triggersing blade) .before monk did the jump stuff party decided to go down 2nd path instead and is currently dealing with 1 large spider ..after the cleric caused a dust explosion and killed 3 or 4 others ( whoops.. And yay) said spider...is apparently killing cleric,pally,barb easily ( lvl 3 party cept for monk.)
Wizard said splitting up is bad and went to watch/ help monk with traps and hasnt posted since seeeing him go down ..rest of party doesnt know due to deafened for 4 more rounds

...also im 90% sure touch attack means you gota be within 5ft so using a 10ft pole wouldnt work to pass a cure...

Mordaedil
2017-03-08, 06:36 AM
...also im 90% sure touch attack means you gota be within 5ft so using a 10ft pole wouldnt work to pass a cure...
They just have to be within reach. You can smack someone with your longspear to heal them. And if you lay the 10 foot pole on the ground, touch the monk with the tip and hold only the very end of the stick, you would technically have a delicious 10 foot distance touch. This of course only works because you are not under distress.

And it is funny.

finaldooms
2017-03-08, 07:31 AM
They just have to be within reach. You can smack someone with your longspear to heal them. And if you lay the 10 foot pole on the ground, touch the monk with the tip and hold only the very end of the stick, you would technically have a delicious 10 foot distance touch. This of course only works because you are not under distress.

And it is funny.

So..ya i would need. Rules quote on that...cause ive never seen anyone do anything like thst cept a duskblade channelinf a spell into his weapon...with an ability

Nightcanon
2017-03-08, 10:12 AM
If the character in the pit is face-up (and there is no facing in D&D, so he ain't face down), his companions could trickle healing potions down into his mouth using a 10' pole (or a piece of string).

flappeercraft
2017-03-08, 10:44 AM
This is only true if you have the diehard feat. If you do not have the diehard feat, at -1 you are simply unconscious and cannot act in any way.

That is why I said "Assuming you're conscious" which implies Diehard, Beastland ferocity or similar effects

Malimar
2017-03-08, 10:53 AM
The rule is you must touch the target. Touching a pole that touches the target doesn't qualify, unless (as mentioned) you're a Duskblade using their channeling ability or whatever.

flappeercraft
2017-03-08, 11:10 AM
The rule is you must touch the target. Touching a pole that touches the target doesn't qualify, unless (as mentioned) you're a Duskblade using their channeling ability or whatever.

Well you don't cast the spell when using a potion, the liquid does.

Malimar
2017-03-08, 11:14 AM
Well you don't cast the spell when using a potion, the liquid does.
Oh yeah, the potion thing works. I was talking about the "You can smack someone with your longspear to heal them" incorrectness.

finaldooms
2017-03-08, 12:03 PM
I could see feeding a potion with a pole being..difficult but doable >> now they just need 2 poles and some rope lol

ATHATH
2017-03-08, 12:20 PM
What spells do the spellcasters have prepared?

If the Wizard still has a Benign Transposition left, he can swap places with the Monk so that the Cleric can convert spell slots into cure spells to heal him. This then places the Wizard in danger, but it at least gets the Monk out of the negatives. Maybe the Wizard can just use Expeditious Retreat to run really fast past the blades.

The Barbarian has a bonus to breaking inanimate objects; just have him catch the axes and break their shafts.

finaldooms
2017-03-08, 03:27 PM
Speed is what triggers them actually, also crawling low would have avoided it...but his character was being a bit of a ****..so the party is leaving him there so problem solved

Particle_Man
2017-03-08, 06:08 PM
Hmmmmm . . . . healing naturally is very slow but you could bring the monk in as an annoying (but also annoyed) NPC nemesis for the party in the future:

"You left me to DIE!" :smallmad:

finaldooms
2017-03-08, 06:16 PM
They are suspected of killing a king..were already locked up awaiting excution actually >> ...plus that thing is a pain and the guy is making a druid now..so that works..thanks everyone

Mordaedil
2017-03-09, 02:18 AM
Oh yeah, the potion thing works. I was talking about the "You can smack someone with your longspear to heal them" incorrectness.

It's probably incorrect, but I think you are missing the point that it is meant to be funny. C'est la vie, I guess.

KillianHawkeye
2017-03-09, 01:18 PM
It's probably incorrect, but I think you are missing the point that it is meant to be funny. C'est la vie, I guess.

It's entirely incorrect, and humor is highly subjective. I personally do not see any amusement in this.

Mordaedil
2017-03-10, 02:37 AM
It's entirely incorrect, and humor is highly subjective. I personally do not see any amusement in this.
If you don't find it amusing imagining that a cleric is carefully lining up a stack to touch his unconscious friend so that he doesn't have to step on a trap while his friends look out for trouble, then yes, I suppose our sensibilities of humor differ.

I mean, he's technically trying to play snooker with a 10 ft. pole in a dungeon. Still not funny? My apologies.