PDA

View Full Version : Creating animal themed archtypes

Halfelf ninja
2017-03-07, 11:58 PM
Hi everyone! Based on the totem warrior barbarian and the moon circle druid, and with some inspiration from a friend and a kung fu oanda, i want to try creating animal themed arctypes for monks, rangers and maeby fighters. The problem is i dont have a lot of experience at homebrewing, so any help is welcome! I will post the basic mechanics soon.

GalacticAxekick
2017-03-08, 08:47 AM
I have an ongoing project to write a homebrew options for martial classes: Fighters and Barbarians with round-to-round options besides attack, Rogues who can spend Sneak Attack dice on special effects, non-magical Bards and non-magical Rangers.

One idea I had was to write two main Ranger subclasses: The Hunter and The Warden. While the Hunter is designed (thematically and mechanically) to exploit the weaknesses of their quarry, the Warden is designed (thematically and mechanically) to enhance their own natural strengths.

The Warden would have access to:

Natural Armour, which would grant AC 10 + Dex + Con when unarmoured.
Natural Weapon, which would enhance their unarmed strikes and allow them to deal piercing or slashing damage.
Colossal Stride, which would allow them to increase their size by one category, perhaps grant advantage on strength checks, and grant bonuses to their movement such as overrunning or shoving foes automatically.
Compact Stride, which would allow them to decrease their size by one category, crawl at their base speed, perhaps grant advantage on dexterity checks, and grant bonuses to their movement such as crawling through occupied spaces.
A variety of features typical to animals, such as Keen [Sense], Darkvision, Blindsight, Pack Tactics, Flyby, Surefooted, Charge, Trampling, Pounce

The Hunter would have access to:

Rend Hide, which would grant bonus damage against wounded foes.
Rend Horns, which would let them make an attack whenever a natural weapon or unarmed strike is used against them.
Slay Giants, which would allow them to deal additional damage against large or larger creatures with cleaving and skewering attacks.
Split Hordes, which would allow them to attack multiple creatures of their size or smaller with cleaving and skewering attacks.
A variety of traps, poisons and tools to snuff the senses and abilities of others, and to restrict movement.

A player, selecting the features they want as they level, could build their Warden into a feline stalker, a bullish charger, a wolfish pack hunter or whathaveyou.