PDA

View Full Version : Help for a Master Transmogifier

Nero24200
2007-07-25, 04:48 AM
Hiya

Looking for a little help with the Master Transmogifier class

When I first take it, I need to choose 3 favoured forms, and a few ones after that at later level.

Due to an RP reason though, I've recenetly only used the Hydra form when polymorphing.

Does anyone have any surgestions for what creatures it might to be fun to use for this? I need a minimun of 3 at the moment and Hydra is the only one I have.

(Side note, only the first and second Monster Manual are allowed)

lord_khaine
2007-07-25, 04:56 AM
it would be a help if you told us what HD and type those creatures could have.

Nero24200
2007-07-25, 04:58 AM
Sorry, forgot about that, currently level 11, so any 11HD creatures will do. As for type, well, they just follow the normal polymorph rules, so no undead or constructs.

Iku Rex
2007-07-25, 05:51 AM
I take it you have Practiced Spellcaster to keep up your caster level?

Suggestions:

Annis (Hag): The strongest, toughest (AC), most melee capable humanoid-shaped creature available now with the books you can use. (Troll is second best.) Humanoid-shaped is important since it means that most of your magical equipment will stay with you when you change.

Darktentacles (MM2): Swim speed, 12 attacks, tremorsense (lv 2), improved grab, constrict and +16 racial bonus to grapple . If you throw in a spell like fearsome grapple (SC) you'll be able to grapple almost anything and win.

(Trick/exploit: The fuse arms spell from the Spell Compendium lets you fuse all your tentacles into a single pair of limbs. You get +4 Str for each pair you fuse. The Darktentacles has 36 tentacles, so when you merge them into 2 you get 34/2*4= +68 Str. :smallbiggrin: )

Treant: Big, strong, tough, plant traits. What's so great about plant traits? Answer: Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects), poison, sleep effects, paralysis, polymorph, stunning and not subject to critical hits. Arguably humanoid-shaped, so the DM may let you keep most of your equipment. Not that great in a dungeon environment intended for smaller creatures.

One more HD/caster level and you can pick the war troll (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20040815b&page=6) (link to MM3 preview) if the DM allows it.

The Glyphstone
2007-07-25, 05:59 AM
I've always favored the hydra myself as well for MT - though if you're approaching the 10th level capstone ability, start considering alternative shapes that don't have much use on their own, but would be fantastic if fused with the hydra or another shape.

Dragon, any size: Flying Hydra - or if you chose Cryo/Pyrohydra, pick up a Fire/Cold dragon respectively, and your immunities will cancel vulnerabilities, leaving acid as the only thing that can harm you. Then, though, War-Troll is far better at that.

Something with a lot of attacks, like a Giant Octopus - add tentacles to your hydra, and you are a full attacking machine, even if you can't add said tentacles to the hydra's standard full attack.

Will-o-Wisp: One of my personal favorites. Flying at perfect speed, invisibility at will, Immunity to Magic (except no-SR). Flying Hyra, Magic-proof hydra, invisible Hydra...the Wisp on itself is a great scout, and once you get the Combine Forms capstone, any other creature can benefit from any one of the Wisp's any useful powers.

Exil3dbyrd
2007-07-25, 09:40 AM
It depends on what you are going for

Hydra/darktentacles/giant squid - a whole lot of attacks
Lammasu - Pounce & rake & flight
Roper - 6 attacks that deal 2d8 strength damage
bulette - burrow speed
Manticore - 6 ranged attacks as a standard action

if you are looking for things to use with the capstone ability check out the ultimate, apocalyptic MasTran10 form (http://boards1.wizards.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-406249) thread, though their final builds may result in beatings by the DM

Person_Man
2007-07-25, 10:27 AM
How powerful is your group? MT is an insanely potent PrC with unlimited potential. You might accidentally break the game if you choose forms that are too potent, in which case you won't be able to be an MT any more.